MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By aortan Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:22 pm
Hey!

So I'm sequencing an external synth, and I'd like to record a 1 bar long sample of that synth.
In the top right corner of the sampler, there seems to be a punch in/out feature, I'm trying to set it up but it doesn't seem to activate the recorder at the first beat?
Can't find anything about this in the manual.

Anyone out there who knows how this works?? :o
By marctronixx Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:25 pm
just record the loop through the audio in then go to edit sample and trim it down to one bar. then drop it on the timeline or warp if you need to.

punch in/out is just too much for recording a simple loop bruh.
By aortan Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:31 pm
So even though the bar is in perfect sync (because it's being sequenced by the MPC), I need to record it and then trim it?
Using trial and error to make the loop perfect?

On the Octatrack, you just set it to record one loop, and then you're done... :)
By marctronixx Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:07 pm
So in essence you are sampling audio at the analog input, yes?

How i do it is i just set the sampler to start recording when it hears what i want to record.

Then go into sample edit and trim the access fat using start/end q links, then process > discard.

Boom done. That takes literally a minute or two.
By aortan Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:33 pm
Yes wal martian, I’m sending MIDI from the mpc. But i want to record the synth so i can work on the project in standalone mode :)

Thanks marctronixx, i guess that’s what i need to do!

I’m new to mpcs, and they are super good at sampling so I just thought there would be an automated way to do it:)
By aortan Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:33 pm
Hehe aha i see. Nice workaround!
I’m sure it will work out fine just starting and stopping recording manually, guess I just need to practice more to do it quicker:)
Would be nifty though ;D
By wavejockey Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:35 am
not one of my (vintage) samplers is doing this with sample accuracy

or they miss some samples (threshold 0, start recording when audio) or they stop too soon (when recording one bar) - i prefer to cut manually

also, if you capture when threshold is passed, are you sure you are in the right groove? (you'dd miss some audio contrary to punch in/out on the fly, no?)

however, it could be that AKAI has perfected this (one!) algoritm/workflow at last
By SPL10 Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:27 pm
The easiest way is to record in the looper

Set it to sync so it records 1 bar and once sampled just export it to a pad in a drum program etc

Works every time for me when I record synths and external fx etc and is muchless of a headache than trimming by hand and hoping for the best (especially if the 1 bar loop you want to record doesn’t start on the first beat of the bar)