MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By axs Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:51 pm
Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to the problem of not being able to change time signatures within the same song. The supposed solution was to insert bars in a sequence and choose a different time signature from the menu, but what happens then is that just the first one or two bars of the sequence gets changed and it goes back to the master time signature.

To be more specific: I want a section of my song to be in 3/4 for about 28 bars. I go into sequence edit (pencil), I choose insert bars, choose number of bars (28) and then 3/4 + Do it. After two bars it goes to 4/4. Extremely annoying.

I also tried variations where I inserted 1 bar of 3/4 and doubled the length. Nope, doesn't work. Please tell me there is a way to make this work.
By axs Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:05 pm
Oh, so I guess (hope) it's just a problem in stand alone. Haven't used mine with software yet, but I guess this is a good excuse to fire it up. Thank you for the input.
By TheUnfuckwithable Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:15 am
ihearanewworld wrote:This time signature / copying bars / erasing bars issue is currently making the Live worthless for Live performance for me.

It´s a shame that the standalone mode is still not on par with the software one.

Especially since they have heavily marketed these new "MPCs" as standalone devices.

:Sigh:
By axs Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:10 am
No, actually that's what I've been doing. When you go into grid mode after changing the time signature, only the first bar is changed to 3/4. I also loaded the software, made a pattern in 3/4 on my computer that I exported to the Live, and same thing happens. This is extremely problematic for anyone not staying within one time signature throughout a song. May not seem like a biggy to those only doing 4 on the floor stuff, but it basically makes Prog or "experimental" electronica or various jazz variations impossible, and is basic music theory stuff. I'm not one to spew out criticism of companies that create new and exciting stuff because of a few bugs or unfinished features, but come on, Akai, is this a machine for "professional" music creation or has good enoughness overtaken the product developement department? If it's just me doing something wrong, I apologize for the rant.
By marctronixx Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:54 pm
I don’t do “four on the floor”, but understand what you mean.

If you dont like that workflow that akai have implemented, then reach out to them and inquire if there is any better way when in standone.

This is an enthisatys site, not affiliated with akai pro. Your concerns will be seen here but not really heard unless you reach out to them directly.