MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By kingofthetrill Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:28 am
Hey so I'm new to the MPC scene and I picked up the live because of the standalone mode. I wanted to get some nicer headphones and I like the way the beyerdynamic DT 770s look, but I'm not sure if I would need an amplifier to drive the 250 ohm version. There is an 80 ohm version which I've read is easier to drive but from what I've read you lose detail.

So the question I have is can the mpc live drive headphones like the beyerdynamic DT 770 in standalone mode or do I need a headphone amp? Thanks!
By kingofthetrill Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:12 am
starmanwarz wrote:I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD600 (300ohm) and they sound fine.

You should be ok.

Sweet thanks! Just wanted to make sure I could hear with them. Would kinda ruin the portability for me if I had to carry an amp around.
By Flight Manual Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 am
I've had my Dt770s for close to 15 years I think. Best headphones, still sound amazing. Cannot recommend better. 880s would be equal in quality I think. They say "Cheap is not really cheap. Expensive is not really expensive." Quality headphones like this are worth it.
By marctronixx Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:04 am
"best headphones" is relative to the user.

32 to 250 ohm headphones won't make much of a difference. you don't need an external amp to drive them with the live or X.

ive AKG N90Q's and they are 32ohm and sound beautifully on the LIVE and X. lower ohm does not relate to audio quality. don't believe the hype.

if money were no object, get the middle of road and go with 250 ohms in that particular headphone.