MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Gnome Tone Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:12 pm
How's everyone doing today? I'm wondering how the MPCX will be if I'm wanting to basically setup up some drums using the included sounds using midi for drums and then overdubbing guitars and bass and vocals using the 8 audio tracks. This would be working in a linear fashion, using only he MPCX and a mixer feeding it my instruments. This is mostly how I work, however I do enjoy mangling samples and making experimental music. So YES, you might think the MPCX is overkill for just linear music making, but i'm looking at it as a stand alone 8 track recorder, sampler, controller, and song file storage (EXternal drive).

So, is it a fairly straightforward process multi-tracking on the X? I'm looking for an easy machine to use, setup my audio tracks, record enable, and start recording. I don't have a problem mixing down an 8 stereo track song, importing back into two stereo tracks into the X and starting to overdub over that, so I don't really see the 8 stereo tracks as a limitation, but more like making a decision on the basic mix, bouncing down, and then having an additional 6 mono tracks to overdub.

I've just about got myself convinced to get the X as a X-Mas present to myself, I'm a hardware person, just needing some user back up that my $2200 investment will at least be justified with a quality machine that can do basic quality 8 track recording.
Thanks,
By marctronixx Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:12 am
look, read up on the forum. lots of experience here with the live and X. they both do the same thing.3

the X is more than capable of being your all in one workhorse.

the 8 tracks are a feature and not the main reason people by the live/x. if you MUST have dedicated audio tracks, you should think about a DAW or external recorder.

ive noth models. i keep the live in a backpack. the X is the heart of my kitchen.

i have a 56 track SSD recorder (fostex D2424LV) to handle audio tracks. i even bounce the X to the fostex via my an analog 48 input desk.

i am 100 percent hardware. the X is worth the investment. reconsider using the DAW software version of the mpc software for audio recording.
By Danoc Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:28 am
To add what Marc said if you need lots of tracks beyond 8 tracks remember you get MPC software. I kid you not you will love it. You can go beyond 128 tracks.

Peace

Gnome Tone wrote:How's everyone doing today? I'm wondering how the MPCX will be if I'm wanting to basically setup up some drums using the included sounds using midi for drums and then overdubbing guitars and bass and vocals using the 8 audio tracks. This would be working in a linear fashion, using only he MPCX and a mixer feeding it my instruments. This is mostly how I work, however I do enjoy mangling samples and making experimental music. So YES, you might think the MPCX is overkill for just linear music making, but i'm looking at it as a stand alone 8 track recorder, sampler, controller, and song file storage (EXternal drive).

So, is it a fairly straightforward process multi-tracking on the X? I'm looking for an easy machine to use, setup my audio tracks, record enable, and start recording. I don't have a problem mixing down an 8 stereo track song, importing back into two stereo tracks into the X and starting to overdub over that, so I don't really see the 8 stereo tracks as a limitation, but more like making a decision on the basic mix, bouncing down, and then having an additional 6 mono tracks to overdub.

I've just about got myself convinced to get the X as a X-Mas present to myself, I'm a hardware person, just needing some user back up that my $2200 investment will at least be justified with a quality machine that can do basic quality 8 track recording.
Thanks,
By Jonespnice1 Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:41 am
I agree the investment I made on the MPC X is totally worth it to me.
By Danoc Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:04 am
You said the real thing. The investment in the Live was totally worth it. Great machine, sounds, functions , computer function, touch screen, compatible software and Air effects and the free Air instruments.

My Live is ridiculous so l know the X gotta be bananas!

Having this machine makes doing music easier.

Jonespnice1 wrote:I agree the investment I made on the MPC X is totally worth it to me.
By Gnome Tone Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:09 pm
Thanks for the responses gents. Oh yes, I've been reading up for months on the X and the Live, trying to get an idea of what it can and can't do. Main concern is workflow being I'm coming from a traditional 24 analog board setup into 16 channels into Cubase. With the X it would essentially be a 4 in 8 out setup I'm assuming? That works for as I mostly work alone. Yes, I've been on Cubase for 15 years and am so used to the audio editing and tracking aspect. I'm to the point where I'm about to reinvent my studio and am looking at the X and the 2.0 software as my new platform, starting completely new (would new a new computer, but it's about that time). So it's very important that the X would be a competent controller for the 2.0 software (basic stuff). I've got outboard to wire up as well, but I'm seeing the 8 outputs as working fine for that.

a few questions:
1- can the outputs be used as aux sends? (I'm guessing yes)
2 - can you record 4 tracks (2 stereo tracks) at the same time on different channels? I like to record synths and have the effect sends have their own stereo tracks independent of the synths.
3- how's the main stereo output's amp for monitors?
4 - are the buttons and controls built to last? (I'm hard on my gear)

anyhow, that's my thoughts at the moment.
By Jonespnice1 Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 am
Gnome Tone wrote:a few questions:
1- can the outputs be used as aux sends? (I'm guessing yes)
2 - can you record 4 tracks (2 stereo tracks) at the same time on different channels? I like to record synths and have the effect sends have their own stereo tracks independent of the synths.
3- how's the main stereo output's amp for monitors?
4 - are the buttons and controls built to last? (I'm hard on my gear)

anyhow, that's my thoughts at the moment.

1) Yes, you have 4 sends and they can be routed to your outputs and then into your external fx processor and then back into a pair of inputs on the X. I haven't tried it but it has that facility.
2) Yes.
3) The main outputs are as you would expect, they drive the volume nicely.
4) Everything feels very well built to me except the big data wheel which feels like a cheap plastic, but to be fair I would imagine that would last a long time too because it is not a push button but it only does one thing and that is rotate, so it should not receive any rough usage and should last a long time.

To go back to your original question about the 8 track recorder, I'm not sure how far back you've been recording but I go a long way back (I used a tascam 4 track back in the day) and I used to use a Roland VS-880ex 8 track recorder too which was a great machine in its day, the MPC X is 10 times easier to use then that. I think you will be very happy with your purchase. If you want portability then I would suggest getting the MPC Live since it is half the price and has a battery (cordless) and then you will have a little extra money left over to buy a preamp (with phantom power) to record vocals, this option is more portable but the MPC X is more fun (IMO). Let me know if you have any more questions.