MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lyricalgenius81 Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:35 pm
I’ve been searching online for any information regarding the specification of the mic preamps but cannot find anything at all. Does anyone know what sort of components are used wether they are high quality.
I want to buy a Neumann TLM102 mic and wonder wether I need to buy a better preamp to run it. I know that it will work but want to get my moneys worth from the mic as it’s a fairly good one.

Thanks in advance.
By pablow6554 Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:16 am
Hi i have the mpc x and the preamp are really good and the type of sound that you looking for from a Neumann TLM102 youll get from it the preamp ho[pe this helps.
By Lyricalgenius81 Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:22 pm
Nice one pablo that’s what I want to hear! Looks like I’ll take the plunge . Will let you know how it sounds once I have it.
Going to do a little cheap acoustic treating on the room to help get it sounding less reflective too in preparation for new mic.
By Danoc Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:57 pm
To give you even better hopes, the AD/DA converters in the X and Live are Top Notch! You're going to love it. I did vocals in the garage, where there is no acoustic treatment and my vocals came out clean, like it had sweet compression on it, and I was blown away. This is on the Live, so you know what the X will do. Akai did the right thing when they did the converters. I had to TML104 by NEU, and that's a hellava mic.

Lyricalgenius81 wrote:Nice one pablo that’s what I want to hear! Looks like I’ll take the plunge . Will let you know how it sounds once I have it.
Going to do a little cheap acoustic treating on the room to help get it sounding less reflective too in preparation for new mic.
By Lyricalgenius81 Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:56 pm
Danoc nice one that’s good to know man I was worried that I would perhaps be limited by the preamps inside it but by sounds of it I should get a nice quality tracking looking forward to hearing the difference from my sm58 dynamic mic
By Danoc Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:20 am
Yes sir! You'll be straight on that end.

Lyricalgenius81 wrote:Danoc nice one that’s good to know man I was worried that I would perhaps be limited by the preamps inside it but by sounds of it I should get a nice quality tracking looking forward to hearing the difference from my sm58 dynamic mic
By dmacto Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:35 pm
You guys are saying the the pre amps are good, but are you able to give an idea of what they are really like? How good? I'm looking at using a condenser Mic to record vocals and Instruments.

Im either getting the X or Live - but the ability to record vocals and Instruments to a professional level is a deal breaker.

My Alternative is that I get the Live and my friend lets me use his Mackie Onyx 1640 Mixer as an interface/ Mic pre amp. Splash out on the X for its Pre/Amps or get the Live and use the Mackie for free?
By Danoc Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:49 pm
The converters in both machines are OUTSTANDING! Nothing to worry about.
Just on the X you get 48+ phantom power.

dmacto wrote:You guys are saying the the pre amps are good, but are you able to give an idea of what they are really like? How good? I'm looking at using a condenser Mic to record vocals and Instruments.

Im either getting the X or Live - but the ability to record vocals and Instruments to a professional level is a deal breaker.

My Alternative is that I get the Live and my friend lets me use his Mackie Onyx 1640 Mixer as an interface/ Mic pre amp. Splash out on the X for its Pre/Amps or get the Live and use the Mackie for free?
By dazastah Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:00 am
a pre before the mpc will change the character a little more, it wont make it sound "better" for me but it may for you as its subjective.. IF it was me recording raps.., i would buy, pop/acoustic filter , channelstrip (the la610 from ua is awesome) and treat the room you are recording in...
Reason's for pop filter is to stop plosives from "p" and "b"s and the channel strip is more for light comp/ squeeze more overall signal into your mpc without clipping... (you can emulate this in the mpcs) Treatment is to get the signal dryer so incase your room has a weird reverb that would make a even better mic sound ugly...
By dmacto Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:17 pm
Danoc wrote:The converters in both machines are OUTSTANDING! Nothing to worry about.
Just on the X you get 48+ phantom power.

dmacto wrote:You guys are saying the the pre amps are good, but are you able to give an idea of what they are really like? How good? I'm looking at using a condenser Mic to record vocals and Instruments.

Good to hear, but how good? What do you usually use to record? In the Uk the price difference between the Live and X is £900 . Would the quality be over and above the Mackie Mixer?
By Danoc Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:36 am
Very good. Im in the box l don't have a Mackie mixer.
I record vocals directly into the Live.

dmacto wrote:
Good to hear, but how good? What do you usually use to record? In the Uk the price difference between the Live and X is £900 . Would the quality be over and above the Mackie Mixer?
By ghost.transmitter Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:38 am
dmacto wrote:Good to hear, but how good? What do you usually use to record? In the Uk the price difference between the Live and X is £900 . Would the quality be over and above the Mackie Mixer?

There are no detailed reports on the quality of the pre-amps of the X so far. They are probably decent enough to record without any significant noise or other artefacts being introduced. But the pre-amps in the Mackie will probably of the same quality, at least not that different that you'd notice much. Personally, I wouldn't go for the Mackie/Live combo because I think that adding a (more or less) budget mixer in the chain won't make an improvement on the sound. I would suggest to look for another pre-amp in that case, but if you want something above semi-pro quality you have to be prepared to spend quite a few hundred extra.

I've put my pre-amp (UA Twinfinity 710) in between my X and TLM-103 because I like the sound of the pre-amp (solid-state to tube and everything in between). I expect the X to record as quiet as possible and leave the colouring of the sound to the Twinfinity. If the X would disappoint in that, if it's noisy for instance, then I'll stick to recording my vocals in my DAW.
Things like room treatment (or Reflexion filter, I use an SE RF Pro) and pop filter are of course equally important.