MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By crimson2877 Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:11 pm
Hey, I'm thinking about getting an MPC Live, and I'm wondering if I should sell my 404sx to help pay for it. Does the MPC live have good fx/that cool Lodi crunch like the 404sx?
By Cockdiesel Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:52 pm
Debateable. Depends on the workflow. I sold my 555 because I didn’t feel I needed it anymore. However my work flow was using a mpc and sp404 for a long time and I missed bouncing stuff back and forth. Fx are the similar or better in some cases, but overall the live is a way more robust machine than any Roland sp.

If your a all in one box guy, definitly yes.
Is you enjoy using multiple boxes not so much. There are a few features I miss from the sp lineup. The 404s are getting cheap enough that saving an extra few weeks I believe to be worth it to have the two.
By Ill-Green Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:18 pm
404SX can be a good companion to the Live, you may want to put that gear-bug on a leash and save up instead and have both. Only thing, the Live does not loop samples on a pad like the SP, you have to put the sample in a sequence in order to loop it, which is lame, so I gotta resample a loop and play it back as a long one shot. I wrote Akai but no response as usual.
By ringmaker Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:57 am
i would keep it. not exactly the same but i love my sp303/505 for the overall sound, lofi options and the vinyl sim comp. fx are pretty basic but cool. more character then the mpc fx. but i have a lot of outboard fx that i prefer over both