MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By wavetable808 Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:49 am
Hey,

I'm getting massive latency problems in standalone mode.

The X can be working fine and then it will randomly developed a 2-3 sec latency problem.
This happens when hitting pads and running the sequencer. All other gear in the chain accounted for.

Is anyone else getting this?
By Moho Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:21 am
Latency on any machine will be fairly constant, most reports on the live/x have been around 16ms and that's between live/x and other gear, but 2 - 3 seconds randomly from its own pads sounds like a serious issue :cry:
By richie Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:05 pm
I was talking to JJ G and he said that I should just buy an MPC 60, 3000 or 4000 and then slave the X and my Elektron instruments to it for a stable clock.
By Cockdiesel Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:02 pm
There must be faulty units out there. I never get more than a .1 deviation when syncing and the pad response feels just like my 4000. That's my own personal opinion though.

Which begs the question why arnt these newer machines built to spec of machines 15 plus years ago?
By MPC-Tutor Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:29 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Which begs the question why arnt these newer machines built to spec of machines 15 plus years ago?

Not the same Akai. I believe the 4000 was built by a company called Akai Pro M.I. who had purchased the company from Akai Pro Japan. Then Numark came along and bought the leftovers after Akai MI went bankrupt, hence the re-badged blue MPC4000 and 2000XL. They had no major input in these machines, they were just flogging off the old stock while they worked on their own MPCs (MPC1000 onwards). Eventually Numark/Akai etc morphed into inMusic.
By wavejockey Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:36 pm
richie wrote:I was talking to JJ G and he said that I should just buy an MPC 60, 3000 or 4000 and then slave the X and my Elektron instruments to it for a stable clock.

that was my plan too but there are numerous reports that slaving is even worse

this behaviour is confirmed by AKAI (dan the man) ; they say that the MIDI clock (in) is not rigourous & stable enough to present the internal processor a stable foundation to do all the calculations on (warp etc)
AKAI has also said that we should lock to MTC (in)

luckely the MPC4k does all this
By Danoc Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:42 am
lm getting no latency issues in stand alone. From day one no issues. Do some of you have your pad sensitivity on the wrong number and you think its latency?
By Icepulse Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:07 am
This'll sound elementary, but go into the Time Correct settings and make sure "Shift timing" is set to zero.

I was wracking my brain over a late starting note. Turns out I had inadvertently shifted that setting.
By smellypants Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:37 am
Cockdiesel wrote:There must be faulty units out there. I never get more than a .1 deviation when syncing and the pad response feels just like my 4000. That's my own personal opinion though.

You might be right.

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong but the 16ms latency people were reporting was about the Lives roundtrip A/D D/A conversion, which I believe was reduced with one of the firmware updates.

Internally the X/Live should be rock solid, I haven't done any scientific tests but in terms of internal things such as sequencer jitter, pad response etc. Everything feels real good to me compared to the 3000 i've been using for the last 8 years (Limited Edition btw :smoker: ).

Some people have been talking about jitter/latency with the X/Lives midi clock when connecting to external gear. Tempo drift when syncing multiple sequencers together it seems to be, not so much when triggering sounds from external synths/sound modules.

If your having problems with latency internally, you may have a defective unit I feel.
By Danoc Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:12 am
That was my issue when l started the first time hitting the pads. They were not matching my finger response turned out l had the TC OFF! As soon as l turned it on l was good to go ever since. :smoker:

Icepulse wrote:This'll sound elementary, but go into the Time Correct settings and make sure "Shift timing" is set to zero.

I was wracking my brain over a late starting note. Turns out I had inadvertently shifted that setting.
By Danoc Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:18 am
Internally its rock solid. You dont have a buffer in that thing.

Now dealing with external gear, that's a whole different problem. Im not experiencing that cause lm ITB and no external gear. I did have that sync problem with PT and the 2000XL and l got rid of both in 2012. That's why l love exporting and bouncing stems don't have to worry about synching issues. :-D

smellypants wrote:
Internally the X/Live should be rock solid, I haven't done any scientific tests but in terms of internal things such as sequencer jitter, pad response etc. Everything feels real good to me compared to the 3000 i've been using for the last 8 years (Limited Edition btw :smoker: ).

Some people have been talking about jitter/latency with the X/Lives midi clock when connecting to external gear. Tempo drift when syncing multiple sequencers together it seems to be, not so much when triggering sounds from external synths/sound modules.

If your having problems with latency internally, you may have a defective unit I feel.
By Lampdog Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:31 am
Danoc wrote:That was my issue when l started the first time hitting the pads. They were not matching my finger response turned out l had the TC OFF! As soon as l turned it on l was good to go ever since. :smoker:

Those are 2 different things imo.

TC off, and you have bad timing is not the fault of the machine, it's you and your timing. This is not latency.
The resolution of the mpc is way more precise than your human timing. TC off is recording exactly what you do as a human. It's the users timing, not gear fault. With practice TC can turn into a beautiful beautiful thing.

Pad bangs delay to audio IS latency.