MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By John Vandenberghe Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:09 am
Hey
Just got my mpc live today.
I am super pumped, have been wanting one for a while and miss the mpc workflow from my 1000.
But I have 0 interest in using the software, so do I need the software to upgrade the firmware? And to format a ssd?
Do I need to format a sad card as well? Or no?
And is anyone using theirs with the cme xkeys into the USB port? Is that a good way to set it up?
Thx.
By Cockdiesel Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:56 am
Yes, there will be some stuff you need a computer for like updates and such. I believe formatting a ssd can now be done standalone however. Lastly, I haven’t looked at the midi controller you have but the USB port works great for powering and transferring your notes to the live. It’s not fully multitimbral yet so you might have a hard time locking knobs and faders to certain things, iirc it will only playing the current selection on the track and not play like track 3 your keygroup while you are currently in track one with drums for example.
By John Vandenberghe Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:21 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Yes, there will be some stuff you need a computer for like updates and such. I believe formatting a ssd can now be done standalone however. Lastly, I haven’t looked at the midi controller you have but the USB port works great for powering and transferring your notes to the live. It’s not fully multitimbral yet so you might have a hard time locking knobs and faders to certain things, iirc it will only playing the current selection on the track and not play like track 3 your keygroup while you are currently in track one with drums for example.

Thx, and I kinda figured that part about the tracks with the keyboard.

So to confirm, I need the computer, no issues, but not the mpc software?
That's what I am not keen on installing.
By Ill-Green Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:52 am
Yeah, a computer is needed for updates, but after that, the software is optional.

I am your example, I never even touched the software or have downloaded it. So yes, you can be strictly standalone 100% :smoker:
By Danoc Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:04 pm
Glad you're glad, now put up a pic of you and your Live and show us how much you love that thang man LOL Welcome to the New MPC Live world!

Put your pic here:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=183345

John Vandenberghe wrote:Hey
Just got my mpc live today.
I am super pumped, have been wanting one for a while and miss the mpc workflow from my 1000.
But I have 0 interest in using the software, so do I need the software to upgrade the firmware? And to format a ssd?
Do I need to format a sad card as well? Or no?
And is anyone using theirs with the cme xkeys into the USB port? Is that a good way to set it up?
Thx.
By John Vandenberghe Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:06 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Yeah, a computer is needed for updates, but after that, the software is optional.

I am your example, I never even touched the software or have downloaded it. So yes, you can be strictly standalone 100% :smoker:

Excellent, thx
By Danoc Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:51 pm
Yes sir and salute!

John Vandenberghe wrote:
Danoc wrote:Glad you're glad, now put up a pic of you and your Live and show us how much you love that thang man LOL Welcome to the New MPC Live world!

Put your pic here:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=183345

Got it, and standby for pic on there shortly!