MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Loosecaboose Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:00 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Generic, I don't have any Akai branded PSUs on any of my mpcs, they've all shipped with generic ones.

Interesting! All my other gear have branded PSU (Roland/Elektron/Korg etc)
By richie Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:48 am
I'm not quite sure how one would ascertain that they've been sold a refurbished unit because it does not say Akai on it. Akai does not manufacturer their own PSUs. These are simply off the shelf switching adapters that can operate in 110/220 provided you switch out the peanut cable accordingly.

Quality wise, I have a preference for the OEM manufacturer Leader Electronics. They are a huge supplier to several electronics brands around the world. The only difference is that they can print stickers with whatever brand of CE or EU classification necessary to pass borders.

Roland and Korg do not manufacture their own switching adapters, all outsourced. I managed to sell a decent amount of the correct inverted polarity adapters for the SP series years ago from finding their OEM supplier. I've been fortunate enough to not have anyone get back to me about any failures either.

So at the end of the day, don't stress yourself about this sh*t.
By Loosecaboose Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:36 am
richie wrote:I'm not quite sure how one would ascertain that they've been sold a refurbished unit because it does not say Akai on it. Akai does not manufacturer their own PSUs. These are simply off the shelf switching adapters that can operate in 110/220 provided you switch out the peanut cable accordingly.

Quality wise, I have a preference for the OEM manufacturer Leader Electronics. They are a huge supplier to several electronics brands around the world. The only difference is that they can print stickers with whatever brand of CE or EU classification necessary to pass borders.

Roland and Korg do not manufacture their own switching adapters, all outsourced. I managed to sell a decent amount of the correct inverted polarity adapters for the SP series years ago from finding their OEM supplier. I've been fortunate enough to not have anyone get back to me about any failures either.

So at the end of the day, don't stress yourself about this sh*t.

Hey man all good, not stressed at all :smoker:

Just want to know if I got a refurb that's all, it happens in Australia with gear. We get stuff later than the rest of the world and with new products we sometimes get the returns from other countries that have been serviced then repacked.

For example my power button is all scratched up, and the little plastic bag with the cloth and quickstart guide was already opened. Plus the plastic seal on the outside of the box was broken too.

When the thing retails for $1600 Aus dollars it is frustrating getting a unit that may have been returned in another country for an issue that warranted a return.
By richie Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:44 am
I see now. Your initial post didn't mention actual surface damage with your unit but I see where you're coming from.

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like you got a return or demo unit. It's unacceptable to have surface damage on what should be a brand new unit. I would either request an exchange or a partial refund for the damage.
By marctronixx Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:06 pm
no one online can tell if you have a refurb or not based on the psu... :Sigh:

if you are concerned about that, you should have asked the dealer.

The psu are OEMs from different vendors. I even picked up a much beefier higher amp PSU for the live so that the battery can be charged up a bit faster and maintain a faster charge whilst plugged up over the shipped one...
By Danoc Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:41 pm
Really? Where dud you get yours from if you don't mind telling.thanks
marctronixx wrote:
The psu are OEMs from different vendors. I even picked up a much beefier higher amp PSU for the live so that the battery can be charged up a bit faster and maintain a faster charge whilst plugged up over the shipped one...
By Ill-Green Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 am
Since I bought a few Akai products **cough**InMusic**cough**, they always used cheap AC adaptors. At first, I thought Guitar Center sent me a refurbished unit with the MPC500 because the adaptor looked like a chinatown bootleg, so I sent it back and bought off Sweetwater, but it was the same adaptor. No official Akai branded adaptor. Then I bought the XR-20 and that too had a cheap adaptor. I expected the same with the Live but the AC adaptor is pretty good in quality, 3rd party adaptor but nice thick cables and ABS casing. The other adapters had thin cables making them prone to damage if you are a mobile type producer.
By marctronixx Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:55 pm
what makes an OEM adapter "cheap"?

whats "cheap" about the adapter that ships with the mpc???! just because its not a name you recognise?

why do akai need to put their name on the adapter? there are so many vendors that manufacture bulk items like ac adapters. having AKAI add their name to adapters will be a cost they will pass to the consumer.
i dont know about you, but i'd rather not have superfluous costs like that passed to me..
By Ill-Green Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:11 pm
marctronixx wrote:what makes an OEM adapter "cheap"?

whats "cheap" about the adapter that ships with the mpc???! just because its not a name you recognise?

why do akai need to put their name on the adapter? there are so many vendors that manufacture bulk items like ac adapters. having AKAI add their name to adapters will be a cost they will pass to the consumer.
i dont know about you, but i'd rather not have superfluous costs like that passed to me..

Spoken like a true fanboy.

It hardly costs to place an Akai label on an adapter, maybe a few cents extra on top of the costs of the AC adapter. These MPCs are premium items as Akai has stated, so why not have official Akai adaptors and good ones too.

Akai looking for cheap ways to manufacture will always result in cheap products. Therefore Akai are cheap bastards. :-D
By marctronixx Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:37 pm
everything has a cost brotha. it may be pennies but it adds up over multiples of thousands of units.

so every part on your car is branded off the maker who made your car? i guarantee you its not. they sub out oem products from vendors.

are you an apple user? do apple make their products? No. an OEM chinese factory (foxconn) make them, just as they make oem products for many others. sure their name is on the charger, and you pay for that. :(

i can go on and on but not having akai's name on a power brick is meaningless to the overwhelming majority of akai users who don't come on an enthusiasts site to bash it for not having its name on the psu..

and of course one becomes a "fanboy" if they speak up against the grain on a forum. you are a "Fan" too since you bought the product... :smoker: :worthy:

you are a "fanboy" of bashing , which is your right. :mrgreen: