MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:51 am
Peace l've recently saw where a few people claimed you can't mix ENTIRELY in standalone mode with the MPC Live. Fact, you definitely can produce and professionally mix in the X without question!

What about the Live? :-)

Well, l did an entire mix in standalone. I wanted to work on my intro for vids for 2018, every 6 months l will make a new track. Being my main computer is in the shop and l didn't want to work on my lappy l said do the entire track on the Live.

So l went through some of the internal kits from the HD. I found a few but one stood out cause it has a weird noise in it and l liked it. Got rid of their original track and tempo. It's called the "TRAP KIT ANTHEM KIT".
I played with the weird sound to get a melody and it fell into place. I liked it. The kit has a nice clap and snare and a nice deep kick. Plus the perfect 808 l put under the kit. Few percussion sounds and l went for it.
Took me only 20 minutes to make the track. I was having so much fun, it was crazy. I usually bounce my stem drums out then lay sounds on top of the drum or already have the sounds and lay the drum under that. I do everything in my head and it always comes out better than what had in my head.
I usually mix on my main computer in Reason 10 SSL9000k mixer and l have R10 on the lappy but don't wanna mix on that.

So l decided to hone in on my skills and and do gain staging and mixing the levels. Tweaking and panning and adding effects from the MPC and behold it came out pretty decent. I let my ears rest and came back and it sound really good. Instead of using my Alpha Track single fader to mix l used the shift key and Data Wheel to mix. It came out very well. I am happy with it. I will master it in Studio One 3.5.

Bottom line is you can get good mix in either machine. It takes the knowledge to mix, trusting your ears.
In song mode definitely can mix and arrange your song and export it out.

Peace.
By Ill-Green Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:01 am
If I can entirely mix an entire album on the MPC500 alone, then I know I can mix in the Live, which is why I copped one :mrgreen:

But for me, the Live is much flexible and faster than the 500 plus lots of features. I really like mixing within the Live, feels like a DAW when I use it like one. Won't replace my trusty DP03 but I like experimenting and trying new things.
By Danoc Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:48 pm
You can if you want. Was that a sarcastic or rhetorical question? :hmmm:

tiger001 wrote:bottom line, with (only) a Live or X you're good for creating jingles?
By Danoc Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:59 pm
To me lll Green its a Drum machine/DAW/Computer all wrapped up in one. Its what l been so patient and waiting for.

I was just stunned how some tried to write it off as you couldn't mix in it. It sounds dam good too.

Ill-Green wrote:If I can entirely mix an entire album on the MPC500 alone, then I know I can mix in the Live, which is why I copped one :mrgreen:

But for me, the Live is much flexible and faster than the 500 plus lots of features. I really like mixing within the Live, feels like a DAW when I use it like one. Won't replace my trusty DP03 but I like experimenting and trying new things.
By Ill-Green Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:31 pm
Danoc wrote:To me lll Green its a Drum machine/DAW/Computer all wrapped up in one. Its what l been so patient and waiting for.

I was just stunned how some tried to write it off as you couldn't mix in it. It sounds dam good too.

Yeah, nobody really wants to think against the grain, they remain stuck thinking a sampler is a sampler and a DAW is a DAW. A sampler actually is a recorder and when I look at the features I see: volume, panning, EQ, copy and paste, editing, etc. That there is DAW material so why not use it like one :nod:
By Danoc Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:43 pm
Profound :worthy:

I always go against the grain. Its an art we are suppose to.

Ill-Green wrote:
Danoc wrote:To me lll Green its a Drum machine/DAW/Computer all wrapped up in one. Its what l been so patient and waiting for.

Yeah, nobody really wants to think against the grain, they remain stuck thinking a sampler is a sampler and a DAW is a DAW. A sampler actually is a recorder and when I look at the features I see: volume, panning, EQ, copy and paste, editing, etc. That there is DAW material so why not use it like one :nod:
By Danoc Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:28 am
True indeed.

Ill-Green wrote:
Danoc wrote:Profound :worthy:

I always go against the grain. Its an art we are suppose to.

Its a NY thing my man. :smoker:
By Guilleonline Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:05 pm
Please share how you do your mixes!

Just got an X and this is what I want to do - not use a computer for anything. Also, has anyone tried mastering in the X? Could it be possible? It would be fantastic to start and finish a project solely on standalone, but maybe it could be done using the X in controller mode?
By Danoc Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:12 pm
Peace Gullionline , you can do an entire mix in the X for sur its equipt to handle that. Mastering is a different horse. Mastering in the 2.0 software? Possible if you know what you're doing.

Mixing along with gain staging definitely can be done. I will hit back with my technique.

Guilleonline wrote:Please share how you do your mixes!

Just got an X and this is what I want to do - not use a computer for anything. Also, has anyone tried mastering in the X? Could it be possible? It would be fantastic to start and finish a project solely on standalone, but maybe it could be done using the X in controller mode?
By Eyalc Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:32 pm

I honestly think you should learn a bit more about what actually happens in the mixing and mastering stages of music production. You’d quickly see that the MPC standalone is just what it’s meant to be - a music production tool. Not mixing. And certainly not mastering.

It’s certainly possible to get a good mix in Controller mode, but that’s using the software, where you have access to dynamics and plugins that are commonly used for mixing (assuming you own them - waves, uad, etc).

Mastering has nothing to do with an MPC. It’s about taking a body of work, multiple tracks, creating the same dynamic feel across all of them, the same levels, EQ’ing as a body of work, so that they can all exist on one album without various dynamics changes from track to track. Sure it might be about making one song sound great - but still not something that the MPC standalone is even close to being able to do.

Now, take all of that with a grain of salt. I’m used to being in a studio watching mastering for an entire album. Not just one song.
By Danoc Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:14 pm
What's up Eyaic. How are you bro?

In standalone on the X he can do a great mix. If he knows how to mix he can do it. I have done it in the live and took the mix to the big studio and was like Daaaam! Everyone was shocked. So l know he can do it in the X. The X is a lil more equipt to do it. Now mastering hmmm that's different beast. Can it be done? Im not goung to say yes or no. Definitely can mix without a doubt.

It was like can you mix in head phones or not. That's over the conclusion is you can mix in headphones.
I mix major stuio also. If he knows how to mix has the correct room or headphones he can do it.

Eyalc wrote:

I honestly think you should learn a bit more about what actually happens in the mixing and mastering stages of music production. You’d quickly see that the MPC standalone is just what it’s meant to be - a music production tool. Not mixing. And certainly not mastering.

It’s certainly possible to get a good mix in Controller mode, but that’s using the software, where you have access to dynamics and plugins that are commonly used for mixing (assuming you own them - waves, uad, etc).

Mastering has nothing to do with an MPC. It’s about taking a body of work, multiple tracks, creating the same dynamic feel across all of them, the same levels, EQ’ing as a body of work, so that they can all exist on one album without various dynamics changes from track to track. Sure it might be about making one song sound great - but still not something that the MPC standalone is even close to being able to do.

Now, take all of that with a grain of salt. I’m used to being in a studio watching mastering for an entire album. Not just one song.
By Danoc Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:34 am
Same to you much success with your music.
Eyalc wrote:What up bro! I’m good man. Hope you are too.

Yeah agree with what you wrote. Mixing is certainly possible, and like you said even better with experience mixing, good room acoustics, etc.

Much success in 2018 bro!