MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:18 pm
Guilleonline wrote:Please share how you do your mixes!

The first thing is you need experience in mixing. It took me years to understanding mixing. You need to understand compression , limiter, EQing, panning , the stereo field, gain staging etc.
Your room need to be treated or top professional open back headphones.

You must understand also l'm inside the box so l have no noise floor to deal with. Being you want to mix in the X you will have the same. If you've sampled from sour9that have hum noise you will have it in that sample.

One rule NEVER LET YOUR SOUND GO IN THE RED ZONE!!!! Distortion will be applied and you don't want that.

GAIN STANGING.
You need to let your kick drum be your guide and bring it down to about -9 this will give you the mixing measuring stick for all the other sounds. Don't let it hit 0 and l will tell you why.

MIXING TECHNIQUE.
1. SOLO your kick at -9 level.
2. Now work on your snare or clap and level it. It doesn't have to be at -9 but so you can hear it with the kick.
3. Bass, mix this well to compliment the kick and snare.
4. Lead vocal, work on this. Then your stacks and adlibs. UF YOU'RE NOT MIXING WITH VOCALS GO STAIGHT TO #5.
5. Main melody is next.
6. Counter melody.
7. All melodic sounds like guitars, piano, pads, strings etc.
8. Hihat pan it about 11 O-Clock.
9. All percussion sounds. Pan them in pockets of the stereo field where no instrument is.
By Icepulse Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:24 am
Ill-Green wrote:
Danoc wrote:Profound :worthy:

I always go against the grain. Its an art we are suppose to.

Its a NY thing my man. :smoker:

Bim! :smoker:
By Cockdiesel Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:10 pm
The live is essentially an eight track digital recorder with one input standalone more tracks with computer obviously.

Mixing can be done to at least the level of the older digital and cassette recorders.

Sometimes that’s all you need.
By Danoc Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:38 pm
At least to show case your work

Cockdiesel wrote:The live is essentially an eight track digital recorder with one input standalone more tracks with computer obviously.

Mixing can be done to at least the level of the older digital and cassette recorders.

Sometimes that’s all you need.
By Ill-Green Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:03 pm
I don't think tips can be shared. I mean we can share our experience but what I do, I know many don't do so not many will be able to comprehend someone's direction unless you from where I'm at. So my best advice is to practice and always have fun.:)
By Danoc Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:39 pm
True, l gave him a foundation and starting point. Its up to him now.

Ill-Green wrote:I don't think tips can be shared. I mean we can share our experience but what I do, I know many don't do so not many will be able to comprehend someone's direction unless you from where I'm at. So my best advice is to practice and always have fun.:)
By Ill-Green Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:40 am
Danoc wrote:True, l gave him a foundation and starting point. Its up to him now.

Ill-Green wrote:I don't think tips can be shared. I mean we can share our experience but what I do, I know many don't do so not many will be able to comprehend someone's direction unless you from where I'm at. So my best advice is to practice and always have fun.:)

Word, I was adding on to what you posted. Every producer works different in different environments but the main thing is knowing your gear and your room's acoustics. And that can only be done by practicing everyday. Mixing is very subjective, Timbaland is known to mix within headphones, Havoc once mixed an album from broken speakers and some mixed solely on consumer sound systems. As long you know your stuff you will always have a great mix. :-D
By Fanu Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:28 am
Ill-Green wrote:Word, I was adding on to what you posted. Every producer works different in different environments but the main thing is knowing your gear and your room's acoustics. And that can only be done by practicing everyday.

Use a few trusted reference tunes. You just gotta know how the music is supposed to sound in your space. Once you've heard the trusted refs a thousand times, you'll get the point (and can mix anywhere).
Also, I can highly recommend the room calibration software by Sonarworks. I use it with my Genelec 8350, and it beats the similar proprietary software by Genelec.
By Danoc Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:11 am
:worthy: KNOW YOUR EQUIPMENT !!!

I say that all the time.

Ill-Green wrote:Word, I was adding on to what you posted. Every producer works different in different environments but the main thing is knowing your gear and your room's acoustics. And that can only be done by practicing everyday. Mixing is very subjective, Timbaland is known to mix within headphones, Havoc once mixed an album from broken speakers and some mixed solely on consumer sound systems. As long you know your stuff you will always have a great mix. :-D
By d2ba Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:30 am
happy new year all!
Article below is the best I've seen for hip hop mixing and has trade secrets:)
What about just using MPC Live/X for just steps 1,4 ? Step 3 makes all the difference

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/avalanches
1:Typically, the starting point for an Avalanches track will involve matching together three or four samples captured from vinyl. “It’s about when samples meet,”
2:Export Stems to Pro Tools from Akai
3:Use Desk /Outboard . Further processing of the sounds was done using Neve 3315 EQs and a Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor, and Espie employed an Empirical Labs Fatso EL7x tape simulator and Roland Dimension D chorus to add different characters and dimensions to the samples. “I had them on stereo sends on the SSL so I could choose how much I wanted to send to them. The EL Fatso really helped create a lot of the warmth in the tracks. The Dimension D is incredible, I love its tone. When you sent it some of the more beautiful, sparkly, melodic samples, it just gave it this kind of glistening wideness that doesn’t sound fake. It just gives it this glimmer.“Then on just about everything we had the Avalon [VT-747SP EQ/compressor] strapped across the bus, which was used pretty subtly. But what it did was it allowed us to shape the overall sonics of each song to be closer to the other ones. It was one unit that everything went through in the end, and I like it because it’s very clean and transparent. It’s got a nice sort of warmth and clear depth and a very broad EQ shape as well. There’s also a beautiful tube signal path function on it, which just helps everything sort of sizzle.”

Elsewhere, Espie and the Avalanches experimented with saturating Sing Sing’s SSL console, with its G and G+ channels, to help sonically blend the samples together. “This record really relied on that a lot,” says Espie. “A large part of the sound of the whole record is the way that the samplers processed it. Because the record is composed from 90 percent samples that have been taken mainly from vinyl, it meant that these sounds had already been recorded, mixed, mastered and pressed. So they were already processed quite heavily, and then there’s another layer of processing added through going in and out of the samplers.

4:Once these preliminary mixes were done, they were printed as stems for Robbie Chater to take home and further refine . “Robbie spent a lot of time doing subtle automation and editing,” says Espie, “sifting through the tracks and taking stuff out to get them closer to a clearer listen. But still using the same tonal sound we’d created.”

“The stems had been through the SSL, so we had the sound right,” says Chater. “But I could still balance the dreamlike quality and the flow of the mixes, which often I needed to tinker on for a long time. I could keep refining the balance of the instruments, because there’s just so many sounds and layers that it’s impossible to nail it all in one mixing session.”
By Danoc Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:39 am
Great article. To do what you're asking would go OUTSIDE the X/Live. We're staying completely in the MPC to mix. I don't use Protools in my home studio. Im ITB also.

Another thing l forgot to mention is bussing tracks to cause an overall balance once every track is mixed. Summing!
By Danoc Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 pm
turbo46 wrote:Is it me or the summing is different of the DAW? More powerful

Explain which DAW you're talking and the summing
By Danny Scott Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:24 pm
Great post Danoc!

I would also add that it's goos to have multiple busses like a Drum buss, Synth buss, Vocs buss, etc.

This way you can have complete control over the volume, compression and eq, etc of your drum kit, bass, and so on. My tracks are played on TV. I must be doing something right :-).

Peace from Strong Island!
By Danoc Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:59 am
I did a video on this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LYDu4wdqqr4&t=1601s

Danny Scott wrote:Great post Danoc!

I would also add that it's goos to have multiple busses like a Drum buss, Synth buss, Vocs buss, etc.

This way you can have complete control over the volume, compression and eq, etc of your drum kit, bass, and so on. My tracks are played on TV. I must be doing something right :-).

Peace from Strong Island!