MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MeProd Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:50 am
Hi there, i'm new to the MPC and have just received my MPC X. I noticed it does not register light hits. I'm used to the Push 2, which registers lighter touches better. I set pad threshold to 1 (less force) but still. I tested it with the weight of my iPhone (6se). If i hold that one on the push 2 it registers touch (i can make it hold a note or note repeat). If I hold it on the MPC X pad, i have to push it quite some to register (i check with the preferences panel and see if the aftertouch bar shows movement).

Also the difference between the less force (1) and more force (16) seems te be very small.

I can get used to playing a little harder, but just wanted to know if this is normal behaviour. Since MPC pads are considered the best expected them to be more sensitive.So is this normal?

a little movie
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xgrr9832phex ... 4.m4v?dl=0

[edit[

Also i get double notes and cutoff notes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0atgf84h1wqg ... 5.m4v?dl=0
By marctronixx Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:46 pm
seem a few posts on this site about this...

you can change the sensitivity of the pads in the settings. adjust to taste.

if that does not help, you may have a faulty box. return it.

i've both the live and X (purchased in may and july) and no issues with what you are seeing.

you can change the RGB on the pads and as you press on them the color will change to a different color depending on the pressure applied, so this could let you see how the system reacts your your button mashing..
By MeProd Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:52 pm
Could any mpc x owner please test this for me. Just play a sample with pad 13 in sample edit mode. Light playing, try to hold the sample. This is the most sensitive to double triggers. I'm asking again because today i was able to try a different MPC and that responded the same. So I guess it is either my playing or really coincidence that i run into two faulty units . I just want to make sure if changing my MPC X (and going through all the hassle to do so) is really going to change this.

*edit* other users have the same on my mpc
By marctronixx Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 am
just checked on the live and X with a random sample and i dont have that issue, as mentioned above.

is the unit in controller mode or standalone? I only use these machines in standalone...
By MeProd Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:40 pm
Well i have a definite answer to this. For me that is. Today i let my girl test it and a few others (a music shop employee a.o.). They all had the same issue but one of them. My girl, i had to show her how I hit, the shop employee had it right away, my son couldn't get the double triggers (he's 8). I also tried another MPC X and another MPC Live today. All the same issue. I was hoping the Live, which was used a lot, i could see, would not have this issue, meaning it will get less over time. But no.
So it's both me and the MPC. My choices are to adjust my playing, buy other pads or bring it back. I have decided the first and if it keeps bothering me i can look up other pads or manual adjustments (i read somewhere someone did a slim layer of tape beneath their pads)
Most important, I needed to find out what was going one. Stuff like that can drive me crazy. But it was easy to let others get double triggers and i can also confirm it's not just my MPCX
It's mostly surprising that most other user online were not able to reproduce this and my guess is their playing style (or type of fingers, i have slim, boney fingers) is vastly different from mine, just like my son. Also I am a pianist that might also make a difference.
I had none of this on my maschine or push 2 although when pushed hard i was even able to get double triggers on the push, but that really felt like bouncing my finger, but the 'technique' is similar.
Conclusion: I will adjust my playing because the problem is not big enough to give up my MPCX. But it's definitely possible to get double triggers on the MPC's. If you are reading this and run into the same try this:

When drumming don't hold the pads after you hit it. let your fingers bounce back.
When playing notes, play like you play a piano meaning 'press' the notes more instead of hitting them. More legato then staccato so to speak. Also hitting with the bottom of you finger tip instead of the point also helps.
Also hard playing and pressing diminishes the change to get double triggers.

Hope this helps anyone running into the same.

Also @Ringmaker, let my know how the other pad's work out for you if you buy them.
By MeProd Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:32 am
ringmaker wrote:waiting for the woodside panels before i order the pads 8)

For the X? Where did you find them? Can't see it on mpc stuff

ringmaker wrote:have the thick pads on my 2500 though and love them.

Ok did that resolve the double triggering?

This describes my issue even better: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=175444&p=1667565&hilit=Double+triggers#p1667220
I also read fat pads won't solve double triggers viewtopic.php?f=41&t=155747#p1461693 (eighth reply by STAX). There is also mentions of decreased note on sensitivity. And what about warranty?
Mpc stuff even warns for increased chance of double triggers with the corx ; https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-renaissanc ... ets-of-16/
By ringmaker Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:52 pm
MeProd wrote:
ringmaker wrote:waiting for the woodside panels before i order the pads 8)

For the X? Where did you find them? Can't see it on mpc stuff

not yet but they should be available soon. he said december so...

MeProd wrote:
ringmaker wrote:have the thick pads on my 2500 though and love them.

Ok did that resolve the double triggering?

This describes my issue even better: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=175444&p=1667565&hilit=Double+triggers#p1667220
I also read fat pads won't solve double triggers viewtopic.php?f=41&t=155747#p1461693 (eighth reply by STAX). There is also mentions of decreased note on sensitivity. And what about warranty?
Mpc stuff even warns for increased chance of double triggers with the corx ; https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-renaissanc ... ets-of-16/

i think in my case the occasional double triggering is just because of my soft playing style. never had the problem with the 2500 but will get the fat pads for the x anyway. just like them better. and maybe i have to adjust my playing. yeah warranty is gone as soon as you open it up. but i'll do it anyway because i hate those red side panels :fku:

there's also the possibility that you have faulty pad sensors. maybe send it back for a replacement?
By MeProd Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:46 pm
ringmaker wrote:
MeProd wrote:Also @Ringmaker, let my know how the other pad's work out for you if you buy them.

waiting for the woodside panels before i order the pads 8)
have the thick pads on my 2500 though and love them.

Any update? How are the fat pads or any other change you made working out for you?