MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Ill-Green Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:35 pm
Danoc wrote:"Yes you will not defeact my Wu Tang Style" lol :lol:

I love it

Ill-Green wrote:Haha! I was under the impression there was a shaolin technique to flatten pads :lol:

No I did not know about that, still using it just banging drums making baselines traditionally. Plus I gotta update to 2.07. Just getting back to the studio since the hurricane.

:mrgreen: :smoker: :mrgreen:
By Danoc Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:41 am
Yoy hit it on the head. Akai came up with a way so you won't degrade your samples or sounds. I never used resample. This methid is another reason to use it. Man lts crazy how l keep falling in love with this machine.

Another reason to use it is because you only layer 4 sounds at a time. What if l wanted to layer 6 sounds l can easily.

Ill-Green wrote:
Yeah man, it's another method faster than resampling, plus it sounds the same, unlike resampling where it reduces the frequency slightly.
By J.O.BEATS Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:22 am
Danoc wrote:Yoy hit it on the head. Akai came up with a way so you won't degrade your samples or sounds. I never used resample. This methid is another reason to use it. Man lts crazy how l keep falling in love with this machine.

Another reason to use it is because you only layer 4 sounds at a time. What if l wanted to layer 6 sounds l can easily.

Ill-Green wrote:
Yeah man, it's another method faster than resampling, plus it sounds the same, unlike resampling where it reduces the frequency slightly.

I didn't know resampling degraded the sound. I've never noticed it. And you can use simult to continue stacking and triggering sounds.

But I ain't hating and if it helps your workflow then more power to ya :smoker:
By Danoc Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:23 am
Its great for me. I do get it that some people won't like it.

J.O.BEATS wrote:
I didn't know resampling degraded the sound. I've never noticed it. And you can use simult to continue stacking and triggering sounds.

By Smackdee Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:46 am

But I ain't hating and if it helps your workflow then more power to ya :smoker:[/quote]

Yeah the whole resample, degrading the sample,is this facts or opinion?
I too like simult because you can effect each pad differently and still play them together, when you stack sounds/samples on one pad you cant put effects/filters on each layer... Everybody works different tho :smoker:
By Danoc Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:22 am
IT is a fact it degrades. All you gotta do is resample the same joint at least 10 times and hear the degrade. This shows degradation.

Before you stack the sounds on the pads you add all the effects you want then flatten it.

Smackdee wrote:I didn't know resampling degraded the sound. I've never noticed it. And you can use simult to continue stacking and triggering sounds.

Yeah the whole resample, degrading the sample,is this facts or opinion?
I too like simult because you can effect each pad differently and still play them together, when you stack sounds/samples on one pad you cant put effects/filters on each layer... Everybody works different tho :smoker:[/quote]
By Ill-Green Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:59 am
Resampling degradation is an ancient fact. So old, companies nowadays put an auto-normalization feature so things sound the same.

Remember, you might be sampling wav files or uploading them into your samplers but once you resample internally, the sample is subject to the sampler's processing and it's format. Plus add the A/D to D/A converters of the sampler, samples just won't sound the same the way you found them. That's why the old samplers like the 3000, SP1200 and 303 are sought after, they give character to the sound. Even if you don't want to call it degradation, that lofi sound IS degradation.
By Smackdee Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:02 pm
I hear ya but this isn't the old boxes and they was actually down sampling to 12-16 bit, everything get loaded into the X/live as 32 bit if I'm not mistaken and everything does through the same DA-AD conversion that you guys are always ranting and raving about on how good it is and it is good so why wouldn't that be for resampling! I actually think flatten pad is the same as resampling, it's just a dedicated button/function for a particular pad instead of going to the sample page and resampling there... No doubt I can see it's usefulness I'm just an simult pads then resample kinda guy lol, old habits I guess...
By Icepulse Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:42 pm
Flattening is a great way of eliminating multiple FX Chains, which can end up w/ automation that gets away from you. I’ve had filter automation on one track in a sequence, that somehow finds its way into another sequence, and I’ve got to go back and weed out the one that’s infecting my new sequence. Flattering “bakes in” all that automation, then deletes all FX from the pad.

Sometimes I find that the process doesn’t always exactly replicate the sound I had going, when the FX were live, however. It’s not perfect. This is something that wouldn’t happen during resampling. So it can be a trade off.
By Danoc Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:37 pm
Flattening is not resampling. Its just another way to stack sounds together as one sound. The siund you put in is what you get.
Im ITB lm not sampling so fro ME there is no degradation. Resampling cause bits to be removed from that sound, that's where you get the degrade.

Now for some degrade isn't bad. Resampling is a tool for samples that you want bits lost so it can sound gritty.

This is why l move samples as wav sounds from one source to another. I keep my pristine sound.
By Danoc Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:44 pm
Now see l didn't know that. That's really cool. Another use for it. I had a clap design one had reverb and it was missing so now l know what happened.

So basically the processing is moving the flattening sounds around to another place.

Icepulse wrote:Flattening is a great way of eliminating multiple FX Chains, which can end up w/ automation that gets away from you. I’ve had filter automation on one track in a sequence, that somehow finds its way into another sequence, and I’ve got to go back and weed out the one that’s infecting my new sequence. Flattering “bakes in” all that automation, then deletes all FX from the pad.

Sometimes I find that the process doesn’t always exactly replicate the sound I had going, when the FX were live, however. It’s not perfect. This is something that wouldn’t happen during resampling. So it can be a trade off.