MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By dmacto Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:21 pm
Eyalc wrote:Not pressing any vinyl, but my third album releases In one month. Used a Live, an X and Logic Pro X. Previews will be released in a couple weeks.

Did you record any vocals or instruments straight into the X? If so, are the Pre-amps professional quality?
By Guilleonline Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:10 am
I've recorded guitars straight into the X and they sounded great. I really wanted to do everything on the X, including mixing. I'd love to even be able to master in it, but the fact that it is lacking mastering processors (there is only a mastering compressor) makes me think it wouldn't be amazing at it. Maybe in the future they will allow one to purchase effects that can be downloaded and run on standalone mode. That would be sick.

If a bit of extra money comes my way, maybe using the X and an Apollo interface in tandem would be a winning combo for tracking and then using the emulators through the MPCX to master. Anyone doing this? Or have tried?
By Ill-Green Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:19 am
There are no preamps on the Live so connecting an external preamp is logical. But you can get away with a dynamic mic like Shure SM58s which has an internal battery inside and get nice results. I use a cheap $20 Behringer mic and it picks up pretty good without a preamp but I use one anyway because its what I paid for :mrgreen:
By Danoc Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:16 pm
what up man. Yeah you can do all your production in the X, it was made to do that, you can even mix, and to get your levels intricately you hold shift button down and start turning the data knob and it will go by in ones and not jumping every five numbers on the level scale.

I wouldn't try mastering on the X, I would do the whole track in the X and then master it somewhere else. You have a hellava machine though.

Guilleonline wrote:I've recorded guitars straight into the X and they sounded great. I really wanted to do everything on the X, including mixing. I'd love to even be able to master in it, but the fact that it is lacking mastering processors (there is only a mastering compressor) makes me think it wouldn't be amazing at it. Maybe in the future they will allow one to purchase effects that can be downloaded and run on standalone mode. That would be sick.

If a bit of extra money comes my way, maybe using the X and an Apollo interface in tandem would be a winning combo for tracking and then using the emulators through the MPCX to master. Anyone doing this? Or have tried?
By Danoc Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:20 pm
You are so right about the Live and no pre-amp. Remember I did that battle here and I did the lyrics? I did that on a bull crap Shure mic. The levels were low but I know how to get what I recorded up to a level as though I had a pre-amp. I was in my old garage when I did that and there is lots of space and those vocals came out so nice and crisp, sound like it got compressed. I was so impressed, you could hear every word I said. Akai did right by those converters in those machines. :smoker:

Ill-Green wrote:There are no preamps on the Live so connecting an external preamp is logical. But you can get away with a dynamic mic like Shure SM58s which has an internal battery inside and get nice results. I use a cheap $20 Behringer mic and it picks up pretty good without a preamp but I use one anyway because its what I paid for :mrgreen:
By Guilleonline Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:43 am
Hey thanks man! The tip on holding down 'shift' while moving the wheel is awesome and very precise. Thanks a ton! And yes I feel it is asolid peace of gear.

Danoc wrote:what up man. Yeah you can do all your production in the X, it was made to do that, you can even mix, and to get your levels intricately you hold shift button down and start turning the data knob and it will go by in ones and not jumping every five numbers on the level scale.

I wouldn't try mastering on the X, I would do the whole track in the X and then master it somewhere else. You have a hellava machine though.

Guilleonline wrote:I've recorded guitars straight into the X and they sounded great. I really wanted to do everything on the X, including mixing. I'd love to even be able to master in it, but the fact that it is lacking mastering processors (there is only a mastering compressor) makes me think it wouldn't be amazing at it. Maybe in the future they will allow one to purchase effects that can be downloaded and run on standalone mode. That would be sick.

By Danoc Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:58 am
No doubt bro enjoy. :smoker:

Guilleonline wrote:Hey thanks man! The tip on holding down 'shift' while moving the wheel is awesome and very precise. Thanks a ton! And yes I feel it is asolid peace of gear.
By dmacto Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:42 pm

So you wouldn't Master in it, but how about all the other stuff? I'm looking to get the X so that I can record full songs (Vocals via Mic, Instruments, Samples, Synths) and at least to a degree of mixing.

It's great that you say the guitars sound good into it. Tried hooking up a mic?