MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By DoeeoD Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:11 am
Hi All

Just installed a hard drive into the Mpc Live and copied across large folders of drums samples etc
My issue is when scrolling for samples and drums and i Page up to the previous folder it always jumps to the first file or folder in that folder, so i'm having to scroll all the way through folders, files i've already ready seen or auditioned etc i know its a little trivia but when scrolling through hundreds of drum and music folders it can get tedious.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:43 am
The file browser is very clunky, Akai provide a filtering system but until they build in a tagging and indexing system like Maschine it's always going to be a horrible experience when dealing with busy folders.

So for the moment, on the right hand side, first choose a data filter, i.e. programs or samples etc. Then use the search box, although this assumes you've named your samples in a logical way. Be aware that the search box only searches the currently open folder, it ignores any content in sub folders. But basically having each folder stuffed with 100s or 1000s of sounds is never going to be a great experience in the MPC browser. I would suggest you categorise them further using sub-folders, so for example

'Snares' folder could contain a sub folder 'Acoustic Snares' and 'Electronic Snares', then the 'Acoustic Snares' folder is categorised by sound character sub folders, e.g. 'Thick', 'Thin', 'Crunchy' , 'Woody' etc, or even by type of hit, e.g. 'Rim', 'Side Stick' etc. Use categories that suit you. But even if the MPC had proper tagging, you would still need to
spend the time categorising/tagging everything, although it would be good if they used the same convention as NI, that way people would only have to tag once.

So some work required either way, but akai just need to come up with a better touchscreen UI for the Browser.
By DoeeoD Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:38 am
Ok, i did think that.

Trouble is when you import all your LP's etc its folder after folder of Music. I suppose the best thing to do is just have one folder containing all music and not have them categorised into album folders.

Thanks For the confirmation.