MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Bymember04959388 Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:28 pm
I started making my own instruments with note by note wav files.
I couldn't make it with keygroup, I cannot put the notes as they are, they somehow change the pitch and sound weird.
I ended up making them with drum kits, assigning samples fast in sample pool and then adding layers in program edit.
Is it a workaround or is this the right way to build my own instruments?
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:29 pm
With keygroup programs you have to tell the MPC what pitch each sample is. You can do this by setting the root note in SAMPLE EDIT, or you can set the root note within the keygroup itself via PROGRAM EDIT - select your keygroup, assign a sample to layer 1, set the root note of layer 1 and then set a keyrange for that keygroup (i.e. what musical range that sample needs to cover).
Bymember04959388 Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:33 pm
Yes i made this but I cannot put a c0 to the first pad, apparently. It goes to the third bank and before it I have pitched sounds that I don't need
Bymember04959388 Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:00 pm
Ok now I could assign the lowest sample to c-2 but I cannot assign the other note samples to the other pads. It sounds like it uses the root note and pitches it to the other pads which is not what I want.
Mmm complicated.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:42 pm
Frisbi wrote:Yes i made this but I cannot put a c0 to the first pad, apparently. It goes to the third bank and before it I have pitched sounds that I don't need

In a keygroup program the pads are like a normal keyboard, each pad has a specific midi note assigned to it, starting a C-2 on pad A01. You have to assign your notes to the keygroups and accept that a C0 is going to found in bank B. This is the case with all keygroup programs, plugin programs and MIDI programs. Hitting the bank buttons to select a specific note range is no different to hitting the 'octave' button on a keyboard controller.

Alternatively, use Pad Perform mode.