MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By bra10 Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:28 pm
I recently switched from my DAW to MPC Live with other hardware, esp. my iPad (so I am complete hardware noob). Now I would like to connect my iPad to my MPC Live. Audiojack Out to Input1,2 on my MPC Live is no problem but I would like to use the two RCAs Input 3,4. Unfortunately I doesn´t hear anything, whatever I switch to phone or Line. Is this a problem with the audio level from my iPad or are my RCA inputs defect?
By Ill-Green Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:48 pm
The RCA inputs are only in PHONO. They will not pick up the Line signal from your iPad. So its not the audio level from either device.

Is there a special reason that you need to use the RCA inputs? Its mainly to connect a PHONO record player. There are RCA to 1/4" adapters to help sort your issue.
By ghost.transmitter Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:40 pm
bra10 wrote:I recently switched from my DAW to MPC Live with other hardware, esp. my iPad (so I am complete hardware noob). Now I would like to connect my iPad to my MPC Live. Audiojack Out to Input1,2 on my MPC Live is no problem but I would like to use the two RCAs Input 3,4. Unfortunately I doesn´t hear anything, whatever I switch to phone or Line. Is this a problem with the audio level from my iPad or are my RCA inputs defect?

I think you want to use the RCA inputs because you want to use the line ins for other instruments? As far as I know you can't use both at the same time. Otherwise just stick to the line inputs.
By bra10 Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:12 pm
indeed. I use Input 1,2 for my 2 elektron boxes.

Maybe it is time for a small mixer...
By bra10 Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:14 pm
Ill-Green wrote:The RCA inputs are only in PHONO. They will not pick up the Line signal from your iPad. So its not the audio level from either device.

Is there a special reason that you need to use the RCA inputs? Its mainly to connect a PHONO record player. There are RCA to 1/4" adapters to help sort your issue.

...but the MPC Live has a switch "Phone/Line" beside the RCAs. I thought switching to Line would give me an extra input...
By marctronixx Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:27 pm
Based on OPs post, he or she didn’t explicitly say he or she wanted to use phono and lines at the same time.

The RCA inputs on back can accept line level signal from an analog output from an ipad.
By Lampdog Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:33 pm
This and then that

By MPCWeapon1 Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:43 pm
bra10 wrote:I recently switched from my DAW to MPC Live with other hardware, esp. my iPad (so I am complete hardware noob). Now I would like to connect my iPad to my MPC Live. Audiojack Out to Input1,2 on my MPC Live is no problem but I would like to use the two RCAs Input 3,4. Unfortunately I doesn´t hear anything, whatever I switch to phone or Line. Is this a problem with the audio level from my iPad or are my RCA inputs defect?

Mak sure you Enable the “monitor” button.
By bra10 Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:11 am
yeah, I don´t use phono in, I just wanted to use Line in. I enabled Monitor and switched input vom Input1, 2 to Input3, 4. Nevertheless I don´t get any signal into my MPC this way so I thought my RCAs could be defective...
By Lampdog Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:07 pm
Ipad volume -> 1/8 to dual rca cable -> rca/1/8 mono adapter -> mpc line in
This is the route of things. Each thing, everything about each should be noted and checked.
By bra10 Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 pm
Lampdog wrote:Ipad volume -> 1/8 to dual rca cable -> rca/1/8 mono adapter -> mpc line in
This is the route of things. Each thing, everything about each should be noted and checked.

volume on iPad is max, tested connection with a second 3.5mm audio jack to RCA, Line in on MPC Live. Definitely no input...
By Lampdog Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:33 pm
Can you connect something else to Live and see if audio is heard?

Setting inside Live?
By Ill-Green Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:07 am
Yeah the Line and Phono switch on the back only selects the inputs used. RCA is PHONO and 1/4" is LINE. But it does not change the state of the RCA inputs which is permanently PHONO. You cannot use both at the same time as mentioned earlier.