MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By John Vandenberghe Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 pm
So I am noticing some weird, inconsistent bugs using the live.

1 Sometimes using chop, when I play the pads to hear the chops it will only play that specific chop (which makes sense to me) sometimes it just plays the entire loop start to finish.

2 Sometimes when I load a project at startup nothing will happen. Everything loaded properly but nothing plays. I have to restart the mpc and reload the project, that usually fixes it.

3 Also when loading a sample from my ssd the sample automatically replaces what’s on the last pad I touched. I don’t know if that’s normal, but if it is I hate it.

4 And last night I saved my project, shut everything down. When I came back to it I had lost a bunch of stuff, it hadn’t saved properly!

That’s all I can remember so far, I am pretty sure there was a few others I forgot. am I all messed up or is the mpc?
By MPC-Tutor Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:14 pm
3 Also when loading a sample from my ssd the sample automatically replaces what’s on the last pad I touched. I don’t know if that’s normal, but if it is I hate it.

Yes that's normal. Before you load an individual sound via the browser you can touch a pad to have that sound be auto-assigned to that pad. That pad will be lit in green. However if you touch a pad just before hitting the BROWSER button, that pad gets selected green - IMO this is a bug.

To avoid this, before loading remember to check the pads and single tap any pad that is green and the sound is just loaded into memory without being assigned to anything.

Regarding the chop issue, it sounds like the 'Slice' parameter is being set to 'All' rather than a specific number. This happens after performing certain tasks (can't remember off the top of my head, so couldn't say if its a bug or user error, but it's definitely happened to me many times).

Other issues - is it only affecting projects saved to a specific drive?
By smellypants Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 pm
Number 2 is a bug i'm pretty sure.

Usually it occurs for me if I load a project when another project is open.

You don't have to restart the machine though.

A quicker way is to just press the "new" button first, then load the project you want and it will play correctly.
By Coz Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 pm
John Vandenberghe wrote:2 Sometimes when I load a project at startup nothing will happen. Everything loaded properly but nothing plays. I have to restart the mpc and reload the project, that usually fixes it.

Unfortunately I think you may have a defective MPC. A lot of people on various forums have had the same issue (including me), and the advice is to send it back for repair.
By smellypants Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:28 pm
Coz wrote:
John Vandenberghe wrote:2 Sometimes when I load a project at startup nothing will happen. Everything loaded properly but nothing plays. I have to restart the mpc and reload the project, that usually fixes it.

Unfortunately I think you may have a defective MPC. A lot of people on various forums have had the same issue (including me), and the advice is to send it back for repair.

If its the same thing that i'm talking about (it may not be), i've tested it on multiple machines and it is consistent, so its a firmware issue thats occurs with all Lives/X's.

I haven't tested thoroughly though so I can't reproduce it at will. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not :?
By smellypants Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm
Coz wrote:http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=184617

I believe thats a different issue than what i'm talking about.

I actually had that exact issue with my first Live and had to return it as well.

What i'm talking about is when switching between projects, the newly loaded project won't play correctly unless you either reset the machine or press the "new" button before loading the new project (none of the screen freezing or any of that stuff).

Doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally, has an easy work around, and i've confirmed it on multiple machines.

It may not be what the OP is experiencing, and if he's experiencing all the symptoms that you linked to in that thread then yes he should return it imo. But if its what I described, it occurs on all Lives/X's it seems.
By John Vandenberghe Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:33 pm
smellypants wrote:
Coz wrote:http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=184617

I believe thats a different issue than what i'm talking about.

I actually had that exact issue with my first Live and had to return it as well.

What i'm talking about is when switching between projects, the newly loaded project won't play correctly unless you either reset the machine or press the "new" button before loading the new project (none of the screen freezing or any of that stuff).

Doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally, has an easy work around, and i've confirmed it on multiple machines.

It may not be what the OP is experiencing, and if he's experiencing all the symptoms that you linked to in that thread then yes he should return it imo. But if its what I described, it occurs on all Lives/X's it seems.

my issue is definitely not as bad as the one in the link.
Once I am up and running everything works fine, up until the battery warning pops up lol.
and when the load issue happens the touch screen works, just the sequence doesn't start.
I never switched project yet, so I might have to try that.
By John Vandenberghe Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:38 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:

1 Yes that's normal. Before you load an individual sound via the browser you can touch a pad to have that sound be auto-assigned to that pad. That pad will be lit in green. However if you touch a pad just before hitting the BROWSER button, that pad gets selected green - IMO this is a bug.

To avoid this, before loading remember to check the pads and single tap any pad that is green and the sound is just loaded into memory without being assigned to anything.

2 Regarding the chop issue, it sounds like the 'Slice' parameter is being set to 'All' rather than a specific number. This happens after performing certain tasks (can't remember off the top of my head, so couldn't say if its a bug or user error, but it's definitely happened to me many times).

Other issues - is it only affecting projects saved to a specific drive?

numbered for ease of answering.
1 ok, cool thx. I just feel like the last pad played BEFORE going into browser shouldn't be taken into account once in the browser. That's on me to change how I am doing business.

2 I have no idea what specific set of button presses or anything that ive done does that. it always seemed random. I need to read up on chopping more, I am winging it a bit from having used past MPCs but ineed to dive into Tutor's book more.
thx
By JeriKo Jackson Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:

Yes that's normal. Before you load an individual sound via the browser you can touch a pad to have that sound be auto-assigned to that pad. That pad will be lit in green. However if you touch a pad just before hitting the BROWSER button, that pad gets selected green - IMO this is a bug.

Regarding the chop issue, it sounds like the 'Slice' parameter is being set to 'All' rather than a specific number.... (it's definitely happened to me many times).

+1

pita when you forget to deslect ALL pads. One thing I had overlooked til recently is that if you select multiple pads, then switch to current, and back to multiple, it will remember the last pads you had selected, which I find pretty handy. But yeah I forget to to change from ALL to CURRENT alot... muscle memory is starting to kick tho.
By MPCWeapon1 Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:15 pm
John Vandenberghe wrote:So I am noticing some weird, inconsistent bugs using the live.

1 Sometimes using chop, when I play the pads to hear the chops it will only play that specific chop (which makes sense to me) sometimes it just plays the entire loop start to finish.

2 Sometimes when I load a project at startup nothing will happen. Everything loaded properly but nothing plays. I have to restart the mpc and reload the project, that usually fixes it.

4 And last night I saved my project, shut everything down. When I came back to it I had lost a bunch of stuff, it hadn’t saved properly!

That’s all I can remember so far, I am pretty sure there was a few others I forgot. am I all messed up or is the mpc?

#1 is frustrating. I don't know what's up with that bug.

On a brighter note I was making a beat on my Live and the power went out in my neighborhood. The Mpc life's backup battery power supply saved the project!
By John Vandenberghe Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:09 am
Ok, I don’t know wtf is happening but I lost my drum loops again tonigh!
Same f*ing thing as last time! Different loop but whatever!
And everything else was still there! Midi, effects on the program, all the other tracks/ programs were fine etc!
And in the sample assign mode, the was a question mark next to the sample name on the pads where the chops were!
I am using a 2 bar loop and a couple fills chopped to quarter notes using ndc with regions, assigning them to pads to re sequence.
Anyone else have issues like that?
I am sure I am saving properly!
This is pissing me off cuz I am really liking the mpc otherwise!
By Coz Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:41 pm
smellypants wrote:What i'm talking about is when switching between projects, the newly loaded project won't play correctly unless you either reset the machine or press the "new" button before loading the new project (none of the screen freezing or any of that stuff).

My new Live doesn't do this at all. I've gone through 20+ projects front to back and back to front, and they all load perfectly. All the funkiness around loading projects has completely gone and this one works exactly as it should.

The SSD slot on my first Live was bare metal whereas my new one is lined with plastic and the cable looks a bit different. I'm not sure if that means anything?

I would advise anyone who is having intermittent loading issues - lock ups, truncated samples, samples still trying to load in sample edit after you've loaded a project - to get their MPC sent back for a warranty repair or replacement if possible.
By rageone Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 pm
i have the same issue with the loading but only from time to time and only once a day (probably, if i play with my mpc daily, once a week).
also, i get my projects **** up too... my workaround is to save them once to the ssd and once to the card :D once i make sure that it saved correctly to the ssd, i delete whatever there is on the card :))
By jpeg Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:31 pm
the only issue I have had from ur list is issue number 2: as described below

I also have an issue where i turn it on the unit boots and responds as normal but no sound and when i press play the pattern does not play.

u hit da pad and see the pads light and the audio meter spike but no sounds; usually i just turn the unit off and on but had an episode this week that I had to turn the unit off and on 3 or 4 times before it would produce sound as normal.

but this is an infrequent occurrence to will have to live with it.