MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 am
Not tested, but from examining one of the folders I exported previously, to manually export (on a Mac, similar for a PC)

Akai Expansions:

Library > Application Support > Akai > MPC > Content

And copy the folder for the expansion you wish to export to a USB stick. Now go to:

Library > Application SUpport > Akai > MPC > Expansions

Copy the XML and jpg file relating to that expansion and paste them into the folder you copied previously. Basically you just need to combine the data from the 2 separate folders.

Just note that third party/user created expansions are stored in a separate location to the Akai ones:

Users > your user name > Library > Application Support > Akai > MPC > Expansions

No need to combine folders here, they are already combined.
By Zack Zerox Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:29 am
Had a brief reply from Akai support:

"I am sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with your MPC Live.

It sounds as though your device is experiencing a hardware issue and would benefit from a service or inspection under warranty. I would recommend contacting your place of purchase where your warranty is held, in regards to a warranty claim. They will be able to assist you further."

I'm a bit surprised by this and assuming it's software! I'd rather not lose the unit for an indeterminate amount of time for what seems a minor problem.

Have emailed back to say so and also query whether they are aware that other people are having similar issues. Maybe there's a few faulty units out there...?
By MaScHiNeHeAd Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:25 pm
Zack Zerox wrote:Had a brief reply from Akai support:

"I am sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with your MPC Live.

It sounds as though your device is experiencing a hardware issue and would benefit from a service or inspection under warranty. I would recommend contacting your place of purchase where your warranty is held, in regards to a warranty claim. They will be able to assist you further."

I'm a bit surprised by this and assuming it's software! I'd rather not lose the unit for an indeterminate amount of time for what seems a minor problem.

Have emailed back to say so and also query whether they are aware that other people are having similar issues. Maybe there's a few faulty units out there...?

Yeah, that would severely p*** me off to not have my Live while Akai faff about with it for what IS (for me) a software issue.
Hopefully, the Akai support guy wiil come back to me soon, but I figure I already know the answer..
Probs something along the lines of " Currently, MPC 2.1 doesn't support Mac OSX High Sierra 10.13.2. This will be implemented in a future update"... Ahh well, not a total loss for me. still got the MacBook for that....
Hope you get sorted soon, Zack...If I hear anything more, I'll post it.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:23 pm
Zack Zerox wrote:Had a brief reply from Akai support: ....

It sounds as though your device is experiencing a hardware issue and would benefit from a service or inspection under warranty.

??? Is this relating to your computer crashing when exporting expansions? How on earth could that be related to your MPC hardware? Are you sure you explained your problem correctly to Akai support?
By Zack Zerox Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:00 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:??? Is this relating to your computer crashing when exporting expansions? How on earth could that be related to your MPC hardware? Are you sure you explained your problem correctly to Akai support?

Yes. Pretty sure I explained it simply enough: I'm running Win10, and when I go to export expansions then the software (not the whole computer) crashes. And, related or otherwise, I can't undock the unit properly.

[EDIT: Here's what I initially sent them - "Hi, two problems: 1) MPC will not unmount as a drive (I get 'still in use' message, see attached) 2) Whenever I try to export expansions to the Live, the software crashes ("MPC has stopped working") I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software and drivers but still no luck. Thanks."]

As I posted here, I subsequently let them know that I have the same issues on another PC with a box-fresh installation of both Windows and the Akai stuff. Tried a different cable, and USB ports, too.

I know this thread is actually about a Mac OS (so apols for the hijack!), but it looks like at least one other person has reported the same issue with Windows too.

Hoping it isn't hardware - I'd hate to lose the unit for a time, also I bought it from a retailer as B-stock for £140 less than the full price, so in a worst-case scenario I'd be concerned about getting a replacement if there was something seriously wrong with it.

However, in all other respects it's flawless/does what I'd expect. I really think this is most likely a software issue.
By MaScHiNeHeAd Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:27 am
Zack Zerox wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:??? Is this relating to your computer crashing when exporting expansions? How on earth could that be related to your MPC hardware? Are you sure you explained your problem correctly to Akai support?

Yes. Pretty sure I explained it simply enough: I'm running Win10, and when I go to export expansions then the software (not the whole computer) crashes. And, related or otherwise, I can't undock the unit properly.

[EDIT: Here's what I initially sent them - "Hi, two problems: 1) MPC will not unmount as a drive (I get 'still in use' message, see attached) 2) Whenever I try to export expansions to the Live, the software crashes ("MPC has stopped working") I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software and drivers but still no luck. Thanks."]

As I posted here, I subsequently let them know that I have the same issues on another PC with a box-fresh installation of both Windows and the Akai stuff. Tried a different cable, and USB ports, too.

I know this thread is actually about a Mac OS (so apols for the hijack!), but it looks like at least one other person has reported the same issue with Windows too.

Hoping it isn't hardware - I'd hate to lose the unit for a time, also I bought it from a retailer as B-stock for £140 less than the full price, so in a worst-case scenario I'd be concerned about getting a replacement if there was something seriously wrong with it.

However, in all other respects it's flawless/does what I'd expect. I really think this is most likely a software issue.

Zack: When I posted this on the Akai forum, there were quite a few peeps who were having the same issue, regardless of OS, so don't worry about hijacking the thread, you didn't & if the end result is we all get sorted, then I'm cool with that.
As far as your hardware goes, I'd agree with Tutor, get a return sorted with Akai asap.
When I sent my 25k back a few years ago, it was about 2-3 weeks.
But if it's sorted, then it's worth the pain.
Got everything crossed for ya, bro...
By Zack Zerox Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:05 pm
MaScHiNeHeAd wrote:Zack: When I posted this on the Akai forum, there were quite a few peeps who were having the same issue, regardless of OS, so don't worry about hijacking the thread, you didn't & if the end result is we all get sorted, then I'm cool with that.
As far as your hardware goes, I'd agree with Tutor, get a return sorted with Akai asap.
When I sent my 25k back a few years ago, it was about 2-3 weeks.
But if it's sorted, then it's worth the pain.
Got everything crossed for ya, bro...

Cheers. Yes, I see on the Akai forums that there's something about a batch of drives being substandard and people having had returns/replacements, perhaps there is something funny about my unit.

[Annoyingly I was just working on a song in standalone, the unit locked up then said it had recovered from an internal error, asked if I wanted to reload the project. When I did, it's lost the xpj file - even though it's still visible on the browser, it won't reload. Guess it's corrupted or something. Humm.

At the time, it was playing clips and I hit 'save to sample (or whatever it's called) without stopping playback first - maybe I just gave it too much to process at once.]
By Zack Zerox Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:36 pm
Spoke to Akai today. The exporting expansions is still an unresolved problem (but they agree that it's a software bug). I go to File>Export>Expansions and the software crashes.

However, good news regarding the problem ejecting/undocking after closing the MPC software: it turns out that Windows was still holding the unit as an audio device. I had to deselect it as an audio device in Windows after closing the MPC software, then check the Task Manager 'processes' list, and close down two 'MPC' processes (a 32-bit driver and one other). It does then eject properly.

Great that there's a workaround (albeit a clunky one), of course if this can be automated on a future firmware update that'd be even better. At least I can properly close the unit down now and minimise any potential problems with the disks.

Also - the chap said that there are a lot of tweaks and updates in the pipeline. I asked what the priorities were and he said he thought the issues with the clip programs were pretty near the top of the list (eg continuing playback when you switch tracks. Personally I'd also hope for a slicker interface in terms of editing the samples - compared to the sample edit mode, it seems a bit limited.)

He also said that it could probably do with "a couple of gig more RAM" (we were talking about a saving problem I'd had), but tricky to do that in a firmware update unfortunately!