MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:15 am
Peace, my boy was telling me I should get into the iPad and get iMPC on it to compliment the Live, its hella responsive when tapping on the screen. Has anyone else bought into it? Sounds interesting, and could travel lighter without bringing the Live. Having a Live and a Laptop has some weight. Holla let me know what's good.

If you have it, which size do you have, 15 inch, 9 inch? Could I rock out on a 9 incher?
By Eyalc Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:01 am
What up Danoc. Hope you’re well bro.

iPads are two sizes these days, new ones anyway: 12.9 and 10.5. Both really nice tablets. I tried the iMpc for the very reasons you’ve described In general think it is viable - a nice way to lay down drum patterns, maybe a sample. But in the end, it was more worth it to bring the MPC Live with me. I could keep going as deep as I wanted with the idea. The iMpc was too limited. I got frustrated when I wanted to take a scratchpad idea further. I’d have to wait until I got back home. For me that’s frustrating because when inspiration strikes I like to let it flow. IMO can’t do that with the IMpc. Of course others will have varying opinions. Hope someone weighs in that really uses it like you’re describing it. For me though, the iMpc eventually started “collecting dust” on my iPad, and was eventually deleted, especially when the Live came out.
By hansjbs Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:37 am
if you have the right app you can work magic with an iPad. If you’re using iMPC Pro 2 which is the latest from retronyms and Akai the combo is dope. I haven’t tried exporting to the iPad from iMPC Pro but it heard it works. IMPC Pro 2 allows you to do a lot even record vocals in the timeline. You can use AUV3 which are similar to VSTs or AUs fro pc and Mac inside the app. The timeline is dope, midi editing is dope. I use my iPad way more than my setup because I can music anywhere, even when I’m taking a dump which I have done. Now I used to use iMPC Pro daily but since Beatmaker 3 have been released I haven’t touch the app. BM3 is crazy and can do almost everything the mpc live can do and I have one. Real-time time stretch, the sampler section is the best in my opinion. If you have a few minutes to spare check this video out by Henny that Bizness, I’m pretty sure most know who he is. This is pretty much how I use my iPad, we have similar workflow and equipment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTDXWvYI1ZI
By Danoc Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:15 pm
hmmmmmmmm, that's some knowledge on this I must think about. I don't want to be limited. Just making drums and not being able to rock out with instruments or to do a semi song structure wouldn't be ideal for me. I don't want to get one cause everyone else has one. Funny thing is, when I walk in with the Live, people are always surrounding me, but I seen a few people pop up with ipads and no one is intrigued by it. So I might just get the case to my for my Live, a 25 key midi KB and call it a day. I don't see that as being to much.

Thanks.

Eyalc wrote:What up Danoc. Hope you’re well bro.

iPads are two sizes these days, new ones anyway: 12.9 and 10.5. Both really nice tablets. I tried the iMpc for the very reasons you’ve described In general think it is viable - a nice way to lay down drum patterns, maybe a sample. But in the end, it was more worth it to bring the MPC Live with me. I could keep going as deep as I wanted with the idea. The iMpc was too limited. I got frustrated when I wanted to take a scratchpad idea further. I’d have to wait until I got back home. For me that’s frustrating because when inspiration strikes I like to let it flow. IMO can’t do that with the IMpc. Of course others will have varying opinions. Hope someone weighs in that really uses it like you’re describing it. For me though, the iMpc eventually started “collecting dust” on my iPad, and was eventually deleted, especially when the Live came out.
By Cockdiesel Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:25 pm
I heard the I Mpc can load Mpc files so you might be able to go back and forth between the two. Which is honestly really dope. I have it and beat maker 3 but I don’t use either very much. I find the live to be better suited for me. Although I would like to get more involved with computers and using my iPad. Some great synth apps out there I will mention. I’ve sold off al my synths except one, with a sampler, iPad and some vsts it’s all I should ever need.
By Danoc Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:35 pm
Thanks for the video. I remember Beat Maker was a joke now it's real, that's crazy. Yeah he rocked that. But for me, I am looking at the point that how comfy I would feel banging on a screen. No knobs to twist, which I am use to. I just don't know I am very comfy with the Live and banging on those pads, as hard as I like, and get that feel good thing. I have to try it out myself.

hansjbs wrote:if you have the right app you can work magic with an iPad. If you’re using iMPC Pro 2 which is the latest from retronyms and Akai the combo is dope. I haven’t tried exporting to the iPad from iMPC Pro but it heard it works. IMPC Pro 2 allows you to do a lot even record vocals in the timeline. You can use AUV3 which are similar to VSTs or AUs fro pc and Mac inside the app. The timeline is dope, midi editing is dope. I use my iPad way more than my setup because I can music anywhere, even when I’m taking a dump which I have done. Now I used to use iMPC Pro daily but since Beatmaker 3 have been released I haven’t touch the app. BM3 is crazy and can do almost everything the mpc live can do and I have one. Real-time time stretch, the sampler section is the best in my opinion. If you have a few minutes to spare check this video out by Henny that Bizness, I’m pretty sure most know who he is. This is pretty much how I use my iPad, we have similar workflow and equipment.
By Lampdog Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:18 pm
Have you just NOT heard of Beatmaker 3?
By Danoc Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 pm
Its for the ipad.

Ill-Green wrote:I don't know if iMPC is the app for the Live/X but there were supposed to be a dedicated app for the two utilizing wifi.
By hansjbs Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:29 am
Danoc wrote:Thanks for the video. I remember Beat Maker was a joke now it's real, that's crazy. Yeah he rocked that. But for me, I am looking at the point that how comfy I would feel banging on a screen. No knobs to twist, which I am use to. I just don't know I am very comfy with the Live and banging on those pads, as hard as I like, and get that feel good thing. I have to try it out myself.

hansjbs wrote:if you have the right app you can work magic with an iPad. If you’re using iMPC Pro 2 which is the latest from retronyms and Akai the combo is dope. I haven’t tried exporting to the iPad from iMPC Pro but it heard it works. IMPC Pro 2 allows you to do a lot even record vocals in the timeline. You can use AUV3 which are similar to VSTs or AUs fro pc and Mac inside the app. The timeline is dope, midi editing is dope. I use my iPad way more than my setup because I can music anywhere, even when I’m taking a dump which I have done. Now I used to use iMPC Pro daily but since Beatmaker 3 have been released I haven’t touch the app. BM3 is crazy and can do almost everything the mpc live can do and I have one. Real-time time stretch, the sampler section is the best in my opinion. If you have a few minutes to spare check this video out by Henny that Bizness, I’m pretty sure most know who he is. This is pretty much how I use my iPad, we have similar workflow and equipment.

It’s not for everyone but once you get used to it it becomes second nature. You can use controllers with the iPad. I do, especially the Bluetooth ones. The point of the iPad is being mobile and it works for me. Making beats anywhere is something I neve thought would be possible.
By Danoc Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:27 am
Cool. I gotta put my hands on it. My Live is mobile right now for me. That's why l got the live. So l will look into it.

hansjbs wrote:It’s not for everyone but once you get used to it it becomes second nature. You can use controllers with the iPad. I do, especially the Bluetooth ones. The point of the iPad is being mobile and it works for me. Making beats anywhere is something I neve thought would be possible.
By cmackg Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:41 pm
I have impc2, it's pretty cool, but the AUV3 stuff is disappointing -- there are only a few synths that work with it. Chopping a sample off your itunes library is really cool, and I fell like it breaks regions automatically easier than the Live does.....So there's that. I like that I can make something on the ipad and move it to Live for real work.
By cmackg Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:42 pm
That said, I don't think buying an iPad to do this financially advisable. I started all this cause I already own an iPad..... And yeah, software is cheap, but it adds up at $19 a unit....