MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By tasmansea Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:10 am
sorry for cross posting this - but can't seem to find an answer:
my MPC live receives clock from ableton LINK - which is awesome! with my fancy pants apollo twin, I’m getting close to perfect sync - so if I only had an MPC this would be grand. The MPC however is the master for my pyramid (only transport and clock).
Here’s my issue:
When pushing play on my MPC, the MPC patiently waits for the LINK signal to reach a new bar and then the MPC plays with a really tight sync and I can record the MPC click with hardly any offsets in ableton. the pyramid however - plays right away after pushing play on the MPC (as opposed to wait for LINK to reach the new bar) At some point I imagined there is some kind of 1/4 note start quantize going on, but 4 times of 5 there’s an offset between the pyramid and the MPC. I do blame the MPC for jumping the gun on the MIDI out, but I was wondering if anyone out there had experience with a similar setUp and if there’s anything I could do about?
thanks hive mind!
By Danoc Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:25 am
This the reason why l stopped doing all that master slave crap and use export or bouncing its so much easier.

Have you tried making the Live the Slave and see what happens?

tasmansea wrote:sorry for cross posting this - but can't seem to find an answer:
my MPC live receives clock from ableton LINK - which is awesome! with my fancy pants apollo twin, I’m getting close to perfect sync - so if I only had an MPC this would be grand. The MPC however is the master for my pyramid (only transport and clock).
Here’s my issue:
When pushing play on my MPC, the MPC patiently waits for the LINK signal to reach a new bar and then the MPC plays with a really tight sync and I can record the MPC click with hardly any offsets in ableton. the pyramid however - plays right away after pushing play on the MPC (as opposed to wait for LINK to reach the new bar) At some point I imagined there is some kind of 1/4 note start quantize going on, but 4 times of 5 there’s an offset between the pyramid and the MPC. I do blame the MPC for jumping the gun on the MIDI out, but I was wondering if anyone out there had experience with a similar setUp and if there’s anything I could do about?
thanks hive mind!
By tasmansea Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:57 am
yeah I hear you.. thing is I tried the new live LINK feature and the sync is really awesome. I only want to record on the grid without having too much work lining up takes etc.. I do more free form stuff and rely on a lot of editing - so having stuff on the grid is nice as editing becomes quick . I don't even have any synths running in ableton or the like. all hardware only .. if only external MIDI would play along I'd be happy// my MPC is driving a bunch of drum machines and synths but they just won't follow the LINK sync.. which is kinda dumb I thought.

haven't tried slaving live as the MPC doesn't SEND link. only receives it via wiFi
By tsutek Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:26 pm
You’ve checked that your MIDI equipment is set to receive both MIDI clock as well as MIDI transport? The behaviour you describe is usually caused by a MIDI device listening to MIDI clock but ignoring MIDI transport..