MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By bra10 Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:01 pm
I would like to switch Sequences in my MPC via Midi from Ableton Live 9.7

I don´t like Ableton Link (I have a bad wifi-signal) and the MPC Software so I tried to switch Sequences in MPC Live via Midi but I face some problems.

in MPC Live:
I create 2 sequences,
than I go to Midi Control and scroll down to Sequence which seems to listen on CC15. I select this and choose Midi Channel 14 as well. Toogle is activated (not momentary)

Ableton:
I create a Midi Track with an External Instrument. I choose Midi Out (NI Komplete 6) and select the Midi Channel, in my case 14
Than I create a two 1 bar Midi Patterns with CC which sends a 0 and (next track) 1 for the whole pattern.

I hear my Midi Sequence in MPC Live playing when I hit play in Ableton, but it´s always the sequence which is selected in MPC Live. What data I send on Ch14 CC15 doesn´t make any difference

I tried other Midi Channels than 14 and I tried CC3 which stands for next seq. I chose Toogle and Momentary on MPC Live... now I don´t have a clue what to do next.

Thanks in advance
bra10
By Dj Bo Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am
The video above is about using the (old) MPC software. bra10 is using the standalone MPC controlled by Ableton. But the video explains how to send program changes with Ableton clips, so that’s useful.

@bra10
The Midi Control menu in the MPC Live is for controlling external devices fróm the MPC, not the other way around.
Midi learn is not yet here, so for now you have to do the following:

Make Ableton send midi program changes to the MPC. Which midi channel doesn’t matter.
In the MPC, go to preferences>general and set program change to sequence.

I don’t have this set up, but it should work. I’ve only tried it this one time using an external hardware midi controller sending program changes changing the sequences in the MPC. The question is if you can change the sequences instantly or if the MPC waits untill the sequence reaches the end. If the latter is the case, you should make Ableton send the program changes earlier in time (if you slave your MPC using midi clock with Ableton as the master). I don’t think you can set the MPC to change the sequences instantly when receiving program changes. It seems like it’s only possible using the touchscreen.

Greets
Bo
By bra10 Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:31 am
Dj Bo wrote:The video above is about using the (old) MPC software. bra10 is using the standalone MPC controlled by Ableton. But the video explains how to send program changes with Ableton clips, so that’s useful.

@bra10
The Midi Control menu in the MPC Live is for controlling external devices fróm the MPC, not the other way around.
Midi learn is not yet here, so for now you have to do the following:

Make Ableton send midi program changes to the MPC. Which midi channel doesn’t matter.
In the MPC, go to preferences>general and set program change to sequence.

I don’t have this set up, but it should work. I’ve only tried it this one time using an external hardware midi controller sending program changes changing the sequences in the MPC. The question is if you can change the sequences instantly or if the MPC waits untill the sequence reaches the end. If the latter is the case, you should make Ableton send the program changes earlier in time (if you slave your MPC using midi clock with Ableton as the master). I don’t think you can set the MPC to change the sequences instantly when receiving program changes. It seems like it’s only possible using the touchscreen.

Greets
Bo

Enabling program change on my MPC Live did it. I wasn´t aware of this point. Thanks for your advice!
bra10