MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By mr_debauch Thu May 24, 2018 6:04 am
Danoc wrote:Why do you hate the 1/8?

mr_debauch wrote:one design thing that pisses me off about the live is how they went with a 1/8" headphone output instead of 1/4"... a standard used on every other piece of music equipment ever manufactured.

several reasons.

1) because almost every other piece of gear I use (including other MPCs, MVs, samplers and synths etc.) all take 1/4". So when you decide at 3:00am to mess with some music stuff and decide to plug into the live, you have to take off the proprietary screw on adapter from the end of the headphones... and you have to put it in a good place where it won't get mixed up with similar adapters from other headphone brands (IE: sony doesn't fit on beyer dynamic)

2) because 1/4 is stronger and more durable than 1/8" ... and every other in or output on the live is 1/4"... Also, every other output jack is bolted onto the chassis... except for the one that is likely to be used the most (the headphone out)

3) and another design issue that is annoying is how they put the output on the rear right side. Most headphones I have used (and all the ones I own) have the cable coming out of the left headphone... so you have to run the wire to the rear and across the top of all the other things you have plugged in the back of the live. it isn't a deal breaker.. but something I guess they didn't think about... the first headphone jack on an MPC was on the 60ii which was located on the front left side of the machine.
By escapetheclouds Tue May 29, 2018 8:13 am
All this for standalone mode:
* The ability to simply reorder sequences. It's absurd that we have to do the whole duplicate/erase thing instead of moving them around. (It's a real head scratcher that this isn't in there now.)
* A way to save and manage presets for each of the effects. For instance, if I came up with a good distortion, I'd like to save it as "CoolDistortion1" or whatever, and be able to select it later.
* On the above note, a way to copy just effects from one pad/program to another.
* Adjust time correction parameters inside the Grid editor. (Another head scratcher!)
* A stereo reverb. I seriously don't understand how this is missing. Its absence forces the need for workarounds that sap up more CPU cycles anyways, so may as well take the plunge. It doesn't need to be the fanciest, just usable. I'd personally only need to run a couple, on the effects returns.
By sbtst6 Tue May 29, 2018 7:03 pm
Another function that i kind of would like to see is an option for the Touch Screen Selection to Follow the Qlinks automatically On the MPC Touch & Live.. 

Example: I select start on the touch screen to edit the start of the sample with the qlinks(Q1) ... Then if i select end on the touch screen, the qlinks atomatically switch/follow qlinks (Q2) to the end. Q3 for loops, etc... 

Having to constantly use the QLink button for scrolling Qlinks (+shift to go backwards) is annoying and confusingly slow.. 

If the qlinks could follow the touch screen selections, It Would be a huge workflow improvement for MPC Live and Touch users!

To Add, It could be an option that can be selected in preferences to turn on or off... Just like you can set default filter, plugin, sample playback, etc.
By mr_debauch Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 pm
the sequence re-ordering thing is so true... they should at least have an option to "move sequence"

I also agree about the saving FX templates. I think additionally we should be able to save a template of the 4 slot fx chain entirely... on pad 1, 2, 3, and 4 might be a chopped break and it would be nice to apply the identical fx chain... but without having to send the whole program... the work around I have been using is to make a new program for every damn thing.. put the 1 single 808 sample on it's own program because I don't want reverb from the high hats to be applied to it.
By Danoc Tue May 29, 2018 9:26 pm
Well it doesn't bother me. Mysetup is 1/8 based and gold tipped.

I agree the headphone jack should of been in front. Even the SD card reader should of been in the front.

mr_debauch wrote:
several reasons.

1) because almost every other piece of gear I use (including other MPCs, MVs, samplers and synths etc.) all take 1/4". So when you decide at 3:00am to mess with some music stuff and decide to plug into the live, you have to take off the proprietary screw on adapter from the end of the headphones... and you have to put it in a good place where it won't get mixed up with similar adapters from other headphone brands (IE: sony doesn't fit on beyer dynamic)

2) because 1/4 is stronger and more durable than 1/8" ... and every other in or output on the live is 1/4"... Also, every other output jack is bolted onto the chassis... except for the one that is likely to be used the most (the headphone out)

3) and another design issue that is annoying is how they put the output on the rear right side. Most headphones I have used (and all the ones I own) have the cable coming out of the left headphone... so you have to run the wire to the rear and across the top of all the other things you have plugged in the back of the live. it isn't a deal breaker.. but something I guess they didn't think about... the first headphone jack on an MPC was on the 60ii which was located on the front left side of the machine.
By DeaDeus Wed May 30, 2018 6:51 am
Interessting: "P0-Sidechain support in standalone mode!!!!" is missing, not something I am using for my kind of music, but isn't this a basic functionality for Dance Music?
I wonder what this is for: "P0-Capture mode (always record midi, even when not in record mode, like Ableton Live's Capture and FL Studio's dump score to piano roll)" - Recording while NOT recording? I do not understand this....
By ringmaker Wed May 30, 2018 5:19 pm
escapetheclouds wrote:All this for standalone mode:
* The ability to simply reorder sequences. It's absurd that we have to do the whole duplicate/erase thing instead of moving them around. (It's a real head scratcher that this isn't in there now.)

+1 on this!

fx presets are in the making i think.
Bymember04959388 Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:09 pm
I think if you ask too many things, then your post becomes a sort of "what my dream box should be".
Focus on one and insist.
Akai works step by step.
So which is the most important upgrade now?
For me, better effects. A stereo reverb first of all. A sync ping pong delay, a phaser with feedback and depth, a multiband compressor.
By Danoc Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 pm
:WTF: you just asked for 4 things but just said ask for 1 thing that Akai works step by step lol lmao

Nah just messing with ya. I agree, a btter reverb and syncing pigpong would be dope. Where you could dail in the tempo and that baby lock tight. Oooohhh that would be hot.

Theses efx are better than previous , but could get better.

Frisbi wrote:I think if you ask too many things, then your post becomes a sort of "what my dream box should be".
Focus on one and insist.
Akai works step by step.
So which is the most important upgrade now?
For me, better effects. A stereo reverb first of all. A sync ping pong delay, a phaser with feedback and depth, a multiband compressor.
Bymember04959388 Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:28 pm
I am quite happy with Live effects.
I think that distortions and filters and compressions are really high quality.
We are used to plugins interfaces and endless options to tweaks so at the beginning Live effects look too minimalistic but actually some of them work really good.
Reverbs are the weak part of it though.
I really don't like them.
But you can buy some external reverb abd route the return out to it so it's still ok.
By K_Dua Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:20 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:I find it almost unbelievable that no one’s mentioning Disk Streaming & Multi-timbral Midi!!!Should be there from Day 1!!!
Jeez...No wonder why is not happened yet...

We’ve asked for it multiple times, Dan said it’s nowhere near ready it. They have been working on it for over a year now, since launch.[/quote][/quote]

Hell ... , i knew about the disk streaming issue.
I didn't know about it not being Multi-timbral .
Are you saying that if you have a couple of MIDI instruments plugged into the MPC Live / X you can only play one at a time ?
Worse.. you can't even load in the sound you want for the 2nd controller... meaning ... when playing live.. you have to load it manually everytime...correct ?

I am not complaining here.. i should stress this !

The MPC Live & X are great pieces of equipment.
I'm just saying that there IS AN INCREDIBLE MARKET HERE..and neither AKAI or any other brand is diving into it !

What i wouldn't give for these 2 implementations.. on their products. I'd gladly pay the $2grand even.
I haven't got either of these 2 MPCs due to the Disk streaming issue.

I want an 'MPC Live-esque' interface for multitrack WAV & MIDI recording and sequencing to work STANDALONE

I don't even mind if i have to load in the specific VSTs i want to use, from the libraries, from the PC.
Just give us the Standalone WAV file full editing capacity..from the Live's SSD storage.
I'm sure X / Live 's sales would increase significantly.

thank you

PS: as of July 2018... no official feedback update, on these issues ?
By Wormhelmet Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Basically it’s called Multi Midi mode..Let’s say you have 1 Midi keyboard hooked up then you can’t play with the pads a drum track and with the keyboard an instrument track simultaneously..You have to switch to the corresponding track and play it..

This is what it has now? Switch track focus and master keyboard plays instrument assigned to midi channel of that track whether you play on the pads or the keyboard?

If that’s how it is now that’s not bad. That’s how the MV series works too. It is still fully multitimbral though. It’s also practical as most people won’t be playing keys with one hand and pads on another hand doing two different instruments with separate melody or drum passages at the same time and if you want that, you can use the pads on one end of the octave shifts to assign drum sounds and use multisamples on another section and still play both parts, they would just be played in the same track. Like a keyboard split.