MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By gheddi Sun May 27, 2018 10:46 am
Hey!,

As mixing and EQing is kinda possible on the MPCs, mastering is pretty pretty hard, and I still do that in the DAW. As Akai probably will integrate more mixing tools, mixing will get easier, but what about the final master? Lets say I dont want to use a PC at all.

So my question here, what equipment can you recommend that I can hook up to the MPC like a tascam mixer or something to give it the final mix and mastering? I would appreciate if the gear you name isn‘t over 500 bucks and more or less portable :) and of course lets me export stuff in WAV form onto a SD or something like that.

Greetings, gheddi
Germany
By Fanu Mon May 28, 2018 7:53 am
Actual hardware mastering gear is pretty expensive, and you can't get that much for around 500.
I'd recommend doing that in your DAW, as you mentioned it.
Sound-wise, today's plugins are there on the level with mastering hardware (I make my living as a mixing/mastering engineer and do it all on software).
By Danoc Tue May 29, 2018 2:42 pm
I agree 100% with Fanu and Zang.

I mix in Reason 10.1 on the emulation SSL 9000k and master in Studio One 4. The tools.
By Rokgod Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:39 am
gheddi wrote:Hey!,
As Akai probably will integrate more mixing tools, mixing will get easier

This had me dying laughing.. sorry. But you really think Akai is going to integrate more mixing tools???? Oh boy are you in for a surprise if you ready to wait around for this product to improve.
By ringmaker Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:32 pm
Rokgod wrote:
gheddi wrote:Hey!,
As Akai probably will integrate more mixing tools, mixing will get easier

This had me dying laughing.. sorry. But you really think Akai is going to integrate more mixing tools???? Oh boy are you in for a surprise if you ready to wait around for this product to improve.

dude you‘re hilarious! :lol: there‘s a rumour going around that you‘re one of the creators of the beat thang. is this true?
By zangetsu01 Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:41 am
I don't expect to much to come from the upcomming updates.. I don't believe the CPU will be able to handle it anyway..

Just give me the ability to edit automation from the touch screen and I'll be fine.. won't be b!tching about other missing features anymore..
Bymember04959388 Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:53 pm
Why should you make a mastering with Mpc Live or X?
It doesn't really make sense.
It's a device to produce music, not a mastering tool.
I use a Mackie mixer with firewire connections, I make a first premix with the mixer and send all tracks to my Mac Sound studio pro.
Consider you have 6 or 8 outputs so it really makes sense to send all outputs to a mixer and then from the mixer to a daw to make the final mix and mastering.
By Danoc Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:12 pm
Yo if Akai made Buss faders in the standalone you would be able to do perfect gain staging and mixing in standalone. That would be insane
By ayatolli Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:14 pm
Danoc wrote:Yo if Akai made Buss faders in the standalone you would be able to do perfect gain staging and mixing in standalone. That would be insane

true that would be ill...
and parametric eq like in FL
By Danoc Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:53 pm
Yeah man that would be really nice. You can mix still but lm use to gain staging with a buss to glue all the tracks together. Its a beautiful technique. I can get a decent mix out of the Live now because of my knowledge but it would take some time to do it.

ayatolli wrote:
Danoc wrote:Yo if Akai made Buss faders in the standalone you would be able to do perfect gain staging and mixing in standalone. That would be insane

true that would be ill...
and parametric eq like in FL
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:32 am
Danoc wrote:Yeah man that would be really nice. You can mix still but lm use to gain staging with a buss to glue all the tracks together. Its a beautiful technique. I can get a decent mix out of the Live now because of my knowledge but it would take some time to do it.

That's when great playing, composition, arrangement, and instrument selections comes into play. If we have those elements, the songs will pretty much mix itself. At that point all we can do is mess it up. :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Danoc Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 am
Man you can have all the great playing and compo etc you want you still gotta mix that ish :lol:

CharlesRandolph wrote:
That's when great playing, composition, arrangement, and instrument selections comes into play. If we have those elements, the songs will pretty much mix itself. At that point all we can do is mess it up. :lol: :lol: :lol: