MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By dryad-66 Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:21 pm
jaasi wrote:I like most of the discussion here and I have also had a loooong back and forth between both machines, so I'll make my case for the 2500 (jjos).

When I saw the live and its promotion and the FCKING FEATURES (real time pitch shift / time stretch, are u kiddin me?!) I got into purchasing euphoria. There just seemed to be nothing the live couldn't do. And it looks damn stylish too.

I ended up buying it. After using it a handful of times I caught myself sitting on the sofa and staring at my 25k sitting on the shelf for no apparent reason. After one month of testing I returned the live and stuck with the 25k for the following reasons:

- The 2500 has a soul. The live does not have a soul.
- I hated the flat, non-punchy sound of the live. It just sucked.
- The 2500 is more precise. There is a very slight, but noticeable delay when you hit the live pads.
- The live is too flashy. There's too much emphasis on style. 'let's make some beats' as a message when you turn it on? Come on man. Don't fcking talk to me. You're my slave. I am the ruler. Not you! I am making the music. Not both of us together, ashole!
- When we tried to make some music during a party, eveyone was magnified by it and tried to touch the buttons and the screen. It was an eye catcher. i was annoyed and afraid that someone would steal it. freaked me out.
- As mentioned in the forum, the live is far from being fully developed, while the 2500 is a package where everything works and has its place. It never (and I say NEVER) failed me. Not once. Except for some tact switches, but I am proud to be able to repare them myself. It's a day's work and it feels great to make it work again. If the live's guarantee is over and it stops working, it and 1111€ are gone.
- I feel like the live will be taken over by something else at some point and be forgotten (and lose its value), while there will always be some old mpc heads willing to help with the old models (and their values will rise)
- the 2500 was designed and programmed by music lovers and professionals who knew what they were doing, while the live is designed by corporate designers.
- I didn't hear any solidified musician rave about the live other than in their promotional videos (if you have an example, show me)

I could go on. In sum, the 2500 is a really tight machine, while the live is a computer overloaded with functions and not sounding tight which is what it's supposed to do.

feature-wise the live will win any argument in a landslide. It's a personal choice that everyone has to make for him or herself.

I agree that the much maligned 1k/2.5k/5k series are actually really great machines.They just do there job and have a kick.I even really like the way they sound and the EQ and Compressor is key.Man.....im back in lurve with the 5000.Everything just sits together in the mix and sounds tight.Like the 1000 i had last year but with all the extended features,filters,effects ectect.Its nuts when you start learning it.And again the bottom line is these boxes have a nice raw compact tone.No coloring of course and not much grit (more than the live/ex tho) but they kick out.Very present tone.I got the software which is great for the modern touch.Good combo.

edit-i did a shoot out with the 5k and softeware which is modelled after it with same eq fx ect.I got very close using similar settings that it seemed ridiculas to have this great big black beast taking up space (ive only had it 2 weeks) BUT-listening back to the recordings after some time had passed the 5k has more warmth and presence.Its a little grungier partly due to the output stage (and input...yes i know the SW is dependant on soundcards but mpc has a tone of its own.Slightly lofi) i like that nod back to the machines of old.Had the 4000 for years and now prefer the 5.**Anyway similar enough to the 2500 to make a comparison.
By jaasi Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:40 pm
truth is that you can already do a lot of stuff with the older models. you just have to figure out how. I still discover new possibilities with the 2500 after six years using it. if you really want to do sth, most of the times there is a way to make it work. I feel like I can achieve a level of mastery of the machine with the 2500 that I could never achieve with the live if you know what I mean.
By sinik Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:56 am
i love the 2500 and jjosxl, it's by far my favorite mpc workflow.
you will just not get the same tactile feedback mangling around a touchscreen. it's not that classic mpc feeling when producing.

however, as i also own a live, i've noticed that the converters on the live are alot better. when i sampled some drums going through the analog heat and then to the main inputs on the live and the 2500, the sample on the mpc live was almost 1:1 like the source and the sample on the 2500 missed some low end and clarity. it sounded a little bit muffled, but not in a really pleasing way.
By dryad-66 Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:21 pm
sinik wrote:i love the 2500 and jjosxl, it's by far my favorite mpc workflow.
you will just not get the same tactile feedback mangling around a touchscreen. it's not that classic mpc feeling when producing.

however, as i also own a live, i've noticed that the converters on the live are alot better. when i sampled some drums going through the analog heat and then to the main inputs on the live and the 2500, the sample on the mpc live was almost 1:1 like the source and the sample on the 2500 missed some low end and clarity. it sounded a little bit muffled, but not in a really pleasing way.

Sure the 1000/2500/5000 dont sound 1:1 like the live or a soundcard/comp.Somethings missing.But it feels a little more lofi/chunky and blunt.Its a great eefect imo when understood whats going on !!!!!!!!! BUT yeah you dont want that kinda effect all the time lol.Which is why you would use them with a live or and software,higher quality recording medium.My MPC 5000 has a lot of character in that raw way.It kicks ass.But also bugs me too if used alone too much.

edit-im sure im just repeating what i wrote earlier :smoker: but altho will get similar results with the new boxes they with differ enough to make me consider either or both.Personally if im honest im not sure about this new tech.I do like using the SW tho.Just not for a whole track.
By Luke Kage Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:42 am
Yeah the MPC live IS a beast no doubt. It‘s probably the most versatile MPC (alongside the X) that there is.

But I‘m still struggeling. The oldschool MPCs are pretty nice, and their technical abilities would be enough for me.
But one major drawback of old MPCs for me is that the LIVE has batteries, the old don‘t! So I can‘t make beats in a plane, and stuff. So I really don‘t know. Overall I dig the layout, look and sound of the 25k more.[/quote]

The MPC500 works on 6 AA batteries. I recently built a beat at the airport waiting for my flight, built another one on the flight after watching the inflight movie and did the same coming back during my recent trip from London to New York. The MPC Live is a 6 hour rechargeable battery. Great if you can recharge but wouldn't last being used at the airport waiting on the flight and then an 8 hour flight duration. Only thing is the 500 like the older MPC's could be classed as limited but for me it's only limited by the users imagination and creativity
By Luke Kage Fri May 01, 2020 10:43 am
ayatolli wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:Do you fly that much that you need to make beats mid-flight? I'd personally choose the mpc based on day to day requirements, not one off scenarios where in all honesty you'll probably look a bit of a dork 'making bangers' in the middle of Ryanair economy class :smoker:

I dont care how I look like! May people think what they want. But you‘re right, I don‘t fly that much. Also not with Ryan Air. I was business class once! But just out of a lucky accident. Well nevertheless , you are right.
I have a 10 hour USA flight this summer though! Still I can make beats on let‘s say the backporch or some stuff, you know not always running of a power plug can be quite cool.

But then again the old MPs are so dope! Man, I‘m a very conflicted guy :(

"Sometimes you have to fly on Ryan Air" :lol:

If you want to fly and build beats in the sky
Give the Akai MPC500 a try
Here's the reasons why
It runs on AA battery power
It's smaller than the Live in width so less chance of getting the edge bumped
When the stewardess pass by with the tray with food to devour
It has that old school grit
Although some MPC snobs still say that it's sh...
Should be an alternative for the magazines in the toilet
Not something you use in a studio but maybe on a train or a lift?
It would work on both actually but the last one I wouldn't recommend it
Put the bloody thing down please just for a minute?
Truth is the 500 is limited
Then again so it the 60's, the 3000 and the 2000 so to use that as an issue is dim witted
As an instrument to build a beat and either save to CF card or transfer to a computer I think it's dope
And for a 10 hour transatlantic flight I can say from personal experience that the 500 and a Boss Micro BR
On the table tray can fit nicely and they both can cope.
By NearTao Fri May 01, 2020 12:01 pm
I agree, the limits of the 500 are what really can also make it shine...

But old school grit? I've owned many of the MPCs and none of the modern ones would have what I would describe as 'grit'. They've all been super clean to my ears. Maybe the caps need to be replaced? On the other hand... you like that sound... then cool.
By DokBrown Fri May 01, 2020 5:11 pm
Having had both, I’d say either is a winner.
If u just need MIDI & basic sampling the 2500 will get u there faster & simpler
A partner of mine just plays piano/keys so I’m getting him a MPC1000 for just MIDI sequencing.
If u have a major DAW, this is the perfect supplement

The LIVE is clearly the future. It could replace a desktop/laptop
More memory/warping, AIR FX but a steeper learning curve . . . . .

Check here
Comparison forum for details

viewforum.php?f=24
By Caustic Yoda Fri May 01, 2020 9:31 pm
They are both good, i still prefer to write and seq external midi on my 2500 as live has no multi in, 3000 wins by a mile makes the others feel like toys build quality and sound quality midi timing all wins, live has the best stock pads and good for tracking out software needs work badly
By Danoc Sat May 02, 2020 12:20 am
DokBrown wrote:
The LIVE is clearly the future. It could replace a desktop/laptop
More memory/warping, AIR FX but a steeper learning curve . . . . .

The live the future yes but replace a laptop? Nah.

If you think it cap please say why and l will give you my reason it can't. Peace
By Menco Sat May 02, 2020 5:33 am
It does can replace a laptop if you’re talking about being able to do a whole beat from start to finish on the Live. But if you’re talking about power and flexibility...my laptop with Logic runs laps around the Live anyday.