MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Moho Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:59 am
You know the new MPCS are a failure when...

people would rather argue over the term daw than talk about the mpc's

and for my 10 cents if you can't email or word process from the same machine its not a daw its a workstation,
now argue the difference but do it somewhere else because how can I put it
BORED NOW
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:10 am
Wormhelmet wrote:This is the Wikipedia definition (in which I most definitely fit in the DAWless category):

“A digital audio workstation (DAW) is an electronic device or application software used for recording, editing and producing audio files. DAWs come in a wide variety of configurations from a single software program on a laptop, to an integrated stand-alone unit, all the way to a highly complex configuration of numerous components controlled by a central computer. Regardless of configuration, modern DAWs have a central interface that allows the user to alter and mix multiple recordings and tracks into a final produced piece.[1]

DAWs are used for the production and recording of music, songs, speech, radio, television, soundtracks, podcasts, sound effects and nearly any other situation where complex recorded audio is needed.“

No DAW vs DAWless debate from me. I never said anyone shouldn’t be using a DAW or made fun of people that use a DAW, or talked down to bedroom producers doing it as a hobby like I was all that and a bag of chips and doing a superior dance on my DAW.

That’s where my issue is.

I still think the bedroom artist working on his or her budget that takes to the equipment in whatever spare time they can, can both produce a hit on their own as well as contribute valuable information to others on a forum. I’m not gonna dismiss someone that might run one hardware synth, an electribe, and a two track recorder that’s makin dope tracks and is helping others understand gear or method. I have issue with people that do dismiss others when they are doing the braggadocio about professional this or that and talking about needing high end gear.

If I see BS, I’m gonna call it like I see it

That was the whole Thurston reference. You can claim a lot of professional recording studio, high end equipment that you want, but you still on MPC Isle (this forum here) with all of others which include a mix of beginners, experienced, bedroom producers, pro software, anti-software, professional audio mixers, amateur audio mixers, and everything in between.

I see a lot of other that got a mindset of one way to do things - their way being the right way.

I’m saying do it whatever way gets it done

I got a grip of equipment too, but I’m a collector. You don’t need all that to make good tracks. You just need some talent and a little bit of gear that jibes with you the right way.

--

I never put down a bedroom composer. I did however say that Akai is pricing their gear toward the bedroom producer budget. Which tends to float toward the low price point of the market. Links provide.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/akai-professional
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Akai_Professional/high2low

My issue with AKAI, is that they abandoned the Pro User/Power User and tried to pass off, a 3 year old tablet pc, as a high end audio device. So my point was to create something that the Pro User would want.

I have issue with people that do dismiss others when they are doing the braggadocio about professional this or that and talking about needing high end gear.

Tell me where I was bragging? Not once did I ever List my gear, drop names, flash studio pictures, or even drop my discog. Not once did I ever tell someone, what they have is not good enough. I was speaking for myself and what I wanted. Now if you can't understand that, there is nothing I can do.

Now we can agree to disagree on some things, but if you continue to try to belittle me. We can have a production battle and settle it like gentlemen musician. This way our talent, knowledge, and gear can speak for itself. Other then that, I'm always open for different workflows and constructive exchange of ideas. :nod: Your call.

Moho » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:59 pm
and for my 10 cents if you can't email or word process from the same machine its not a daw its a workstation
My old pda, two way pager and current smartphone can email and word process does that make it a DAW? :lol: :lol:
By Moho Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:05 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Moho » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:59 pm
and for my 10 cents if you can't email or word process from the same machine its not a daw its a workstation
My old pda, two way pager and current smartphone can email and word process does that make it a DAW? :lol: :lol:

Look up see that distant star, that's how much you missed the point by :Sigh: :Sigh: :Sigh:
By Danoc Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:19 am
I read what you said and it sounds bananas!

The definition of DAW HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH EMAILS OR WORD PROCESSING!

Definition:
DAW;

Stands for "Digital Audio Workstation." A DAW is a digital system designed for recording and editing digital audio. It may refer to audio hardware, audio software, or both.

Early DAWs, such as those developed in the 1970s and 1990s, were hardware units that included a mixing console, data storage device, and an analog to digital converter (ADC). They could be used to record, edit, and play back digital audio. These devices, called "integrated DAWs," are still used today, but they have largely been replaced by computer systems with digital audio software.

Today, a computer system is the central user interface of most DAWs. Most professional recording studios include one or more large mixing boards connected to a desktop computer. Home studios and portable studios may simply include a laptop with audio software and a recording interface.

Since computers have replaced most integrated DAWs, audio editing and post-production is now performed primarily with software rather than hardware. Several audio production programs, commonly called DAW software, are available for both Macintosh and Windows systems. Some common crossplatform titles include Avid Pro Tools, Steinberg Cubase, and Abelton Live. Other platform-specific DAW programs include Cakewalk SONAR for Windows and MOTU Digital Performer for Mac OS X.

https://techterms.com/definition/daw

Moho wrote:You know the new MPCS are a failure when...

people would rather argue over the term daw than talk about the mpc's

and for my 10 cents if you can't email or word process from the same machine its not a daw its a workstation,
now argue the difference but do it somewhere else because how can I put it
BORED NOW
By Cockdiesel Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:29 am
Come on guys. This is a total thread derail. Not sure why Charles seems so combative about things, but seems to be alright otherwise. I get people been going back and forth. It’s whatever.

Maybe Charles could make a thread about his pro dream piece of equipment and people can chime in. Maybe even some Akai lurkers might see it and get the gears turning.

Perhaps this thread should just be closed. I haven’t been paying to much attention but it gets more and more confusing everyday.

We can be keyboard warriors, artists, friends, a community working on great ideas.... I’m cool with all but the first one.

My hotel room producing 2 cents....
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:09 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Come on guys. This is a total thread derail. Not sure why Charles seems so combative about things, but seems to be alright otherwise. I get people been going back and forth. It’s whatever.

Maybe Charles could make a thread about his pro dream piece of equipment and people can chime in. Maybe even some Akai lurkers might see it and get the gears turning.

Perhaps this thread should just be closed. I haven’t been paying to much attention but it gets more and more confusing everyday.

We can be keyboard warriors, artists, friends, a community working on great ideas.... I’m cool with all but the first one.

My hotel room producing 2 cents....

I am direct person and I'm not here to tear down. However, I'm not here to be belittle. My path stems from HIPHOP, so I know how to make the most of a little. But I also know that the reason most producer quit is because their gear is inadequate. (Been There)

I also know that when, instrument manufacturer money is running low. The first thing they do is release a cheap devices and package it has HIP HOP. Do they try to make the best gear? No. They make the cheapest thing they can think of, because many feel what we create is low budget and worthless.

You hear it all the time, aww they just sample. So they don't need the best. It's not just in gear but with record labels. Hiphop Artist get the lowest budgets across any genre. This transfer to equipment manufacturers. I'm fine with a simple sequencer and samplers, but I want them to put the tech into those machine. Treat us with the same dignity and respect like they do guitarist and pianist.

My goal is to help raise the bar and tell them NO! You can't just release this low budget device. You want our money make it great. I've worked low pay jobs, didn't go out, ate top ramen and hotdogs. So I could buy better gear and control my future. Then I spent hours on top of hours working on my skills, when know one would talk about gear, share records, or any tips.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Cockdiesel Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:13 am
Lol.
The thread title is about Akai failing, some how hopes and dreams get brought up, personal workflows unrelated the the issues mentioned by op, IllGreens Mpc live stand and previous setups, Danoc reassuring is that the live is where it’s at, and bickering about the definition of a daw and even every step of the way.. is Akai the failure or us? The last comment only the last 10 comments reinforces all the above.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:19 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Lol.
The thread title is about Akai failing, some how hopes and dreams get brought up, personal workflows unrelated the the issues mentioned by op, IllGreens Mpc live stand and previous setups, Danoc reassuring is that the live is where it’s at, and bickering about the definition of a daw and even every step of the way.. is Akai the failure or us? The last comment only the last 10 comments reinforces all the above.

We are humans, so forgive us if we drift. Being in the studio all day can drive us crazy. :lol:
By Cockdiesel Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:35 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
I've worked low pay jobs, didn't go out, ate top ramen and hotdogs. So I could buy better gear and control my future. Then I spent hours on top of hours working on my skills, when know one would talk about gear, share records, or any tips

No further replies needed close thread.
By Danoc Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:05 am
Making cheap hardware is not cool. I won't spend my money on it. I learned long ago to hurt a company hit them in their pockets dont buy their product. For example Avid the company who makes Protool, l stopped buying their product and thousands of home studios. So much so they laid off 1,000 people due to their insensitive bullsh*t and treatment of home studio owners. We got feed up.
This is why l went ITB. I picked what is great for me three DAWs to work with, 2 are software and the MPC live. After that its all about my talent a knowledge to make music.

From my end though l don't hear "oh they just sample", but if thst is said they are wrong and will fail.

I do my research first on anything. But lm at the point where l don't because lm noy buying any hardware gear. I will never let a company dictate my home recording studio.
But the whole DAWless movement is going to hell quickly because they can use straight up instruments but at the end of the day it will end up in Protools. RESPECTIVELY! :-)
So how DAWless is it really?

Major labels are loosing grip faster than ever. Artist are wise now. Independent labels are doing well and artist these days are saying f**k major labels. Artist are seeing the bulk of the money and keeping their masters.

I agree a company should have good parts in their machines . That's why l will stay with building my own PC and using a couple of DAWs l can trust and lm good. They won't get my money. And lm going to tell them a dam thing my money will speak to them. I don't have time to convince a company that won't do right since day one.

CharlesRandolph wrote:You hear it all the time, aww they just sample. So they don't need the best. It's not just in gear but with record labels. Hiphop Artist get the lowest budgets across any genre. This transfer to equipment manufacturers. I'm fine with a simple sequencer and samplers, but I want them to put the tech into those machine. Treat us with the same dignity and respect like they do guitarist and pianist.

My goal is to help raise the bar and tell them NO! You can't just release this low budget device. You want our money make it great.
By Cockdiesel Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:08 am
Cockdiesel wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:
I've worked low pay jobs, didn't go out, ate top ramen and hotdogs. So I could buy better gear and control my future. Then I spent hours on top of hours working on my skills, when know one would talk about gear, share records, or any tips
By Danoc Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:20 am
First off Dont know if tutor will close this thread or maybe he will.

The MPC live is the sh*t :-) RESPECTIVELY!

You should have quoted me saying this thread is going to hell. Its almost a bash on the MPC live/X so l knew it wouldn't last long. I would be a dam fool to say the topic when its not failing me. :hmmm: :smoker:

Cockdiesel wrote:Lol.