MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Bymember04959388 Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:52 pm
Fanu wrote:
saltmcgault wrote:so what upgrades are necessary to make the live function the best? anything in particular?

• The lack of automation lanes on the touchscreen is super baffling…
• …and so is the lack of the ability to delete specific automation on standalone (you can only delete *all* automation per track)
• Plugin delay compensation on software is still not there, meaning tracks/pads easily fall out of sync if you use some 3rd party plugins

Play automations manually until you are satisfied and then record them.
I was also disappointed in the beginning but now I got used to play everything manually on my Mpc and I like it. It's an Mpc!
By Sharris Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:20 pm
Frisbi wrote:Don't try to understand a machine from the posts of a forum.
It would be like understanding if you like a girl from the comments of her abandoned lovers.

This is funny. I think forums are an amazing place full of information & opinions. But to just go by what some random person says in a forum is your mistake. Doesn't mean forums are a bad place to find info. When I hear something on a forum that peak's my interest? I research it to make sure it is accurate &/or if I have the ability I try it out myself.

A lot of bad info on forums, but a lot of really good info on forums as well. All the amazing stuff I've learned was from forums. I might have done additional research &/or tried out the suggestion myself, but the comments on a forum, got me to that point in my research.

FORUMS ARE A TOOL & LIKE ANY TOOL, YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO USE IT.
"As you learn how to use it, it's not that complex at all".
By Manglepup Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:35 pm
I think you see suggestions because it's a great and capable devices, and everyone's imagination is running wild. I have owned my live since release and it's hard to imagine being more thrilled and excited about the device, after owning it for over a year.

If mine were to die and be out of warranty - I would immediately put off any other purchases and save for another, without a doubt.
Bymember04959388 Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:32 am
Yes I am also starting to love it after six months.
Once you get it, it's very fast to be played like an istrument. You have to switch to another way of thinking but it gives great results.
I think in a year or so it will be unbeatable, if Akai works good
By Danoc Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:48 pm
What up Eyalc, how are you bro? Your music is Dope-A-Licious! :worthy:

I'm starting to use the MPC Live more and more and more, For some reason, when I do the drums on the Live they sound better and natural than when I do on a computer. To sum it up, I have to work a little harder on a computer than I do with the Live, it's so freakin easy, that its not fair. I find it so easy to do my drums in the mpc live then transfer my stems over to Reason or Studio One and the magic happens when I apply sounds, chords and melodies, they follow the MPC Live lead if that makes sense to you. Some times I may make up chords and melodies, I export them from the DAW I work into the MPC Live and lay the drums on top then take the drums and come back into the Daw, its so beautiful, sexy, erotic LOL Man I just can't get enough.
When I am in the Major Studio and they see me work on the MPC Live its like they are amazed, and I am like for what, it's just a new machine, but it does so much.
It does what I need, and more, I don't know what others are looking for but for me it's cool. I agree Akai is not done that's why I am patient to see what they will come up with. No PDC for the software is nuts, Even Reason has that straightened out!
But I love this machine and wouldn't go back to the Legacy machines, I have gotten a taste of the goodness LOL :lol:
MPC Live reminds me of like Reason, most of the stuff in the Live is in Reason, but Reason is more powerful but I make them work together and do the thang. :smoker: :popcorn:

Eyalc wrote:I'll concur that they're not finished. I have an X and a Live - both have their short-comings. I use the X in the studio, and the Live for when I travel.

IMO though, they're not a failure. People are using them every day to make great music. My latest project called Blue Notes - 80% done on an MPC. The other 20% was DAW work for mixing, and some tweaks to the arrangement. All things I could have done in the MPC, but it was already in my DAW, so it was just quicker to do it there.

I do respect the fact that for some people the features aren't there. But if that's the case, there are a lot of options out there. Keep hunting for that piece of gear that gives you the inspiration to write and produce. If I ever get to the point that the MPC doesn't fulfill what I need, I'll drop them quick. lol

By Danoc Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:56 pm
I am in the same boat as you, I bought two Lives when they first dropped, one for me and the other for the singer song writer. It's just a blast, and I haven't had no serious trouble with it. It just keeps getting better, the sequencer is tighter than when I first got it on the stand alone side. I am flipping drums like crazy, complex drums are so easy now it's bananas! Plus when I keep hearing guys mention they have to pay full price in 2018 and in 2017 when it first dropped I didn't even pay full price I just go-------> :WTF: :Sigh: are they talking about! If I didn't pay full price on the day it dropped no one should be paying full price now, if you do and don't know how to bargain then ummmmmmm :?
It's a beast, and surprised at the AD/DA converters in it. I did vocals in it with a bull crap mic and I was :shock: at the results, without an power amp. Crazy! I know the X is just crazy with all that it has. I'm just happy I jumped on the Live when I did. That was a nice investment. :popcorn:

Manglepup wrote:I think you see suggestions because it's a great and capable devices, and everyone's imagination is running wild. I have owned my live since release and it's hard to imagine being more thrilled and excited about the device, after owning it for over a year.

If mine were to die and be out of warranty - I would immediately put off any other purchases and save for another, without a doubt.
By Unreallystic Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:14 pm
Fanu wrote:I've come to realize, too, that accepting a device *as it is* is important and buying it while having future expectations can be painful.
Example 1: my own expectations for developments for Live at first
Example 2: users' expectations for Elektron Digitakt Overbridge....every time they post on IG, there's a ton of nagging about OB for DT still not being there.

As someone with a Digitakt that would have be sold by now if it wasn't for his belief in not selling your gear because "You never know"...
...I'm still thinking of selling my Digitakt...
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:46 pm
Eyalc wrote:I'll concur that they're not finished. I have an X and a Live - both have their short-comings. I use the X in the studio, and the Live for when I travel.

IMO though, they're not a failure. People are using them every day to make great music. My latest project called Blue Notes - 80% done on an MPC. The other 20% was DAW work for mixing, and some tweaks to the arrangement. All things I could have done in the MPC, but it was already in my DAW, so it was just quicker to do it there.

I do respect the fact that for some people the features aren't there. But if that's the case, there are a lot of options out there. Keep hunting for that piece of gear that gives you the inspiration to write and produce. If I ever get to the point that the MPC doesn't fulfill what I need, I'll drop them quick. lol

You are correct...because if these machines are a failure, then the sp1200 was total disaster. Sometimes it's the gear and if that is the case, it best to move on. But 95% of the time its the user and their inability to create.

It's like buying some high end monitor and putting them in an untreated room. Then say these monitor sound horrible. I would say, No, your room sound horrible, which in turns means your ears are horrible. If they can't create, it's not the gear, it's them. They need to revisit the basic, stop buying gear and find a mentor and a tutor. :lol:
By Unreallystic Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:52 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:

You are correct...because if these machines are a failure, then the sp1200 was total disaster. Sometimes it's the gear and if that is the case, it best to move on. But 95% of the time its the user and their inability to create.

It's like buying some high end monitor and putting them in an untreated room. Then say these monitor sound horrible. I would say, No, your room sound horrible, which in turns means your ears are horrible. If they can't create, it's not the gear, it's them. They need to revisit the basic, stop buying gear and find a mentor and a tutor. :lol:

I agree with this to some extent, there should be "WARNINGS" and "BEST IF USED LIKE" essentially broadcast for those purchases, specifically FOR that purpose. For how hard they pushed the MPC Live last year, I feel they've undervalued "teaching" it, and left it up to places like here to figure it out. IMO if you have a feature or an ability, then you NEED to have a video on it on your YT page. Will it cost you a couple weeks of work for a couple/few people, sure, but you will make it back in sales and happiness. It will also help with making future developments as the community would be larger, more vocal, and less ignorant as to what the device can do. This is such an undervalued approach by music equipment companies who leave it to a few tech demos at places like Sweet Water or NAMM, and YT influencers to do a large - indigestible "How-to" video.
- Unreall
By mr_debauch Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:53 am
the existence of these forums are pretty much because that is how akai has always been with the mpc series. these forums have to be over 15 years old now.

And while some people are having issues due to user error.... a lot of the mentions are not to be blamed on the user... sometimes defending akai blindly is not the right thing to do. this is a company we have decided to yet again throw money at even though their track record has been all about screwing their customers in the past.. or doing some shady stuff.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:56 am
The job of Akai Pro is to continue to offer support and updates on these devices. While having a how to tutorial is nice, that is what the User Quick Guide and Instructions Manuals are for. If that does not do, it's up to the user to find a tutor or someone who knows how to use the machine, like this location. Maybe someone will help and maybe they will tell you to R.T.M (Read The Manuel.)

Personally, I don't throw my money blindly at any company. I did not buy the machine, sight unseen or untouched. I refuse to pick up one at the start, because I did not want to be unpaid beta tester. Now, nothing is wrong with that, I'm just not the early adopter type.