MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Sharris Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:22 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:I'm talking 8K to 10K for a machine, something that makes a statement. That they are here for the long haul. NO more cheap products, no more bad customer service. It should say, we are Professional Company who makes devices for Professional Musicians. That is what they use to have. That was the culture of the company.
Don't take this the wrong way, but right now they are making machines for people in their bedroom, who don't have lots of money to spend on their machine. It's for people who make music, on Saturday or Sunday when the kids are sleeping.

I see what you're saying Charles. All though I agree that $1,200 & $2,100 for an MPC isn't going to be in the average bedroom producers studio. I would think the majority of amateur bedroom producers use software & a controller. The bedroom producers that pay $1,200 or $2,100 for an MPC make pretty good money &/or take beat making really seriously even if they are not making money off of it (not saying producers that use nothing but a DAW & controller don't take it seriously).

When I first got into beat making it surprised me that professional producers use a lot of the same stuff that a bedroom producer uses. & I don't think Akai necessarily needs to make a $8,000 MPC, but in a way it KIND OF surprises me that they haven't. A "flagship MPC" would be different for a professional producer than a bedroom producer. I think a $2,100 MPC would be considered a flagship MPC to a bedroom producer (or even the Live would be considered "flagship"), but not necessarily to a professional producer.

At the same time there IS gear out there that costs $10,000, it might not be an MPC, but still. There def is high end professional level gear out there. & I don't know how well a $10,000 MPC would sell........ it would have to be insane. A full blown stand alone DAW & then some. I wonder what kind of features a $10,000 MPC would have. I can't even imagine....... & it better not have bugs!!!!
By Danoc Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:07 pm
Yes a great sign. I hope everyone get what they need

Wormhelmet wrote:
Akai seems to be actively working on it which is a good sign.
Bymember04959388 Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 pm
Sharris wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:I'm talking 8K to 10K for a machine, something that makes a statement. That they are here for the long haul. NO more cheap products, no more bad customer service. It should say, we are Professional Company who makes devices for Professional Musicians. That is what they use to have. That was the culture of the company.
Don't take this the wrong way, but right now they are making machines for people in their bedroom, who don't have lots of money to spend on their machine. It's for people who make music, on Saturday or Sunday when the kids are sleeping.

I see what you're saying Charles. All though I agree that $1,200 & $2,100 for an MPC isn't going to be in the average bedroom producers studio. I would think the majority of amateur bedroom producers use software & a controller. The bedroom producers that pay $1,200 or $2,100 for an MPC make pretty good money &/or take beat making really seriously even if they are not making money off of it (not saying producers that use nothing but a DAW & controller don't take it seriously).

When I first got into beat making it surprised me that professional producers use a lot of the same stuff that a bedroom producer uses. & I don't think Akai necessarily needs to make a $8,000 MPC, but in a way it KIND OF surprises me that they haven't. A "flagship MPC" would be different for a professional producer than a bedroom producer. I think a $2,100 MPC would be considered a flagship MPC to a bedroom producer (or even the Live would be considered "flagship"), but not necessarily to a professional producer.

At the same time there IS gear out there that costs $10,000, it might not be an MPC, but still. There def is high end professional level gear out there. & I don't know how well a $10,000 MPC would sell........ it would have to be insane. A full blown stand alone DAW & then some. I wonder what kind of features a $10,000 MPC would have. I can't even imagine....... & it better not have bugs!!!!

They still didn't fix the problems of a 1200 dollars machine, imagine a 8000 dollars.
Can you imagine? they sell a 8000 dollars machine and when bugs come.out they say: fill a module and send the requests to akai pro.
Ah ah.
No way.
By Danoc Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:20 pm
10,000 MPC? I don't see even many high level producers buying into that.

Actually it makes no sense.

No bugs? lol Akai on the first go no bugs for the $10,000? It would have bugs.

Remember the Niko and it was like $4,000 - $6,000 dollars and it failed? You could put Protools in it, Omnisphere etc. It was a bust! They stopped support and everything.
Dudes are complaining now and scared for support with Akai you think they would buy into a $10,000 machine?

I know l wouldn't. If the live is doing what l need why buy that? It will never happen.
By Eyalc Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:20 pm
It's not the value of the equipment that matters. It's the value of the product that can be produced on the equipment that matters. Regardless how I think Nukai stifled the MPC brand after the 4000, the MPC played a key role in defining an entire culture. Calling the current crop "for bedroom producers" makes no more sense than saying an iPhone is only for kids that want to play games and send emojis. Both can be used by amateurs as well as professionals. But just because it can be USED by amateurs, doesn't mean that it's FOR amateurs. The cost of technology just makes it ATTAINABLE by amateurs. And I'm not using "amateur" in a derogatory way.

And I agree with Danoc - I don't see ANYONE buying a $10,000 MPC.
By Danoc Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:23 pm
:lol: :lol: :nod:

Frisbi wrote:They still didn't fix the problems of a 1200 dollars machine, imagine a 8000 dollars.
Can you imagine? they sell a 8000 dollars machine and when bugs come.out they say: fill a module and send the requests to akai pro.
Ah ah.
No way.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm
Danoc wrote:10,000 MPC? I don't see even many high level producers buying into that.

Actually it makes no sense.

No bugs? lol Akai on the first go no bugs for the $10,000? It would have bugs.

Remember the Niko and it was like $4,000 - $6,000 dollars and it failed? You could put Protools in it, Omnisphere etc. It was a bust! They stopped support and everything.
Dudes are complaining now and scared for support with Akai you think they would buy into a $10,000 machine?

I know l wouldn't. If the live is doing what l need why buy that? It will never happen.

People said the same thing about MPC 60 which was $5000 in 1988 but when you consider the alternative was the emu system that cost $15,000. It was a no brainier.

Also the point of a High End Drums machine is not sell thousands of them. It's to show the USER base that AKAI is serious about gear again. We are musician and artist, we need to know the companies who make our tools care about producing the best.

This is similar to what car companies do with Prototypes or Limited Edition cars. They can make 500 units and tell you. People will buy them up because it's the best drum machine every made. $7000 to $10000 is not asking much for a TOP LEVEL PROFESSIONAL MPC, when an SSL Xlogic G Series compressor cost $4529 and it doesn't even make music. :lol:

Let's not forget: SP1200 are being sold for 4000 and up and it's not a great machine.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 pm
Eyalc wrote:It's not the value of the equipment that matters. It's the value of the product that can be produced on the equipment that matters. Regardless how I think Nukai stifled the MPC brand after the 4000, the MPC played a key role in defining an entire culture. Calling the current crop "for bedroom producers" makes no more sense than saying an iPhone is only for kids that want to play games and send emojis. Both can be used by amateurs as well as professionals. But just because it can be USED by amateurs, doesn't mean that it's FOR amateurs. The cost of technology just makes it ATTAINABLE by amateurs. And I'm not using "amateur" in a derogatory way.

And I agree with Danoc - I don't see ANYONE buying a $10,000 MPC.

There is a reason why these companies are making less expensive gear and selling them at target, walmart, best buy, and frys electronics. They have to get the gear cheap enough to move enough units. Which normally means hobby musicians, bedroom composers, DJs, weekend warriors, and so on.

There nothing derogatory about it, that's who is keeping akai alive. They sell a ton of the XR20, lpk25 and lpdb wireless mini keyboards and MPD drum pads. Now yes great musician will/can make great music on them because they know what they are doing. However, give a great musician, great tools and sky's the limit.

Personally, I feel Akai is under serving the PRO Market.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 pm
Sharris wrote:

I agree. If we are racing formula one, we need formula one level cars. Personally I'm tired of companies treating Hiphop and Electronic music like Bastard Step Children. We are very sophisticated user, who require sophisticated professional equipment. No, I don't want your BEAT THANG or the same Hiphop Drum Kits from a casio keyboard. :lol:
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Danoc Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:44 pm
MPC 60 was Under Akai And Roger Linn and that machine was dope and still dope.

The price thrown out there is $10,000 not $5,000! Lets keep that in perspective.

The Emu system is a whole other beast.

I would bet not to many would by into a $10,000 MPC. Making a macine just to say lm serious? Akai need to be serious with these machines and show us how dedicated they are not some new MPC.

So what's all this flagship talk they were advertising? The X should be top level already.

SP1200 being sold on ebay and takes a while to sell. Its not flying off the shelves. Also the one to buy it is for parts and if some one's SP1200 breaks they will buy it.

CharlesRandolph wrote:People said the same thing about MPC 60 which was $5000 in 1988 but when you consider the alternative was the emu system that cost $15,000. It was a no brainier.

Also the point of a High End Drums machine is not sell thousands of them. It's to show the USER base that AKAI is serious about gear again. We are musician and artist, we need to know the companies who make our tools care about producing the best.

This is similar to what car companies do with Prototypes or Limited Edition cars. They can make 500 units and tell you. People will buy them up because it's the best drum machine every made. $7000 to $10000 is not asking much for a TOP LEVEL PROFESSIONAL MPC, when an SSL Xlogic G Series compressor cost $4529 and it doesn't even make music. :lol:

Let's not forget: SP1200 are being sold for 4000 and up and it's not a great machine.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:52 pm
Danoc wrote:MPC 60 was Under Akai And Roger Linn and that machine was dope and still dope.

The price thrown out there is $10,000 not $5,000! Lets keep that in perspective.

I would bet not to many would by into a $10,000 MPC. Making a macine just to say lm serious? Akai need to be serious with these machines and show us how dedicated they are not some new MPC.

So what's all this flagship talk they were advertising? The X should be top level already.

SP1200 being sold on ebay and takes a while to sell. Its not flying off the shelves. Also the one to buy it is for parts and if some one's SP1200 breaks they will buy it.

Yes, but $5000 US in 1988 money, is about 11,000 US now. Inflation and cost of living is one hell of a drug. From my stand point, all these updates and beta feature request, is really to build up the Akai Software. In the next couple of years, the software will outgrow the function of MPC LIve and X. They were designed as more of a band aid. They really want to be in the Software Game.
By Danoc Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:04 pm
So let them get in the software game.
5,000 is 5,000 no matter when.

CharlesRandolph wrote:
Danoc wrote:MPC 60 was Under Akai And Roger Linn and that machine was dope and still dope.

Yes, but $5000 US in 1988 money, is about 11,000 US now. Inflation and cost of living is one hell of a drug. From my stand point, all these updates and beta feature request, is really to build up the Akai Software. In the next couple of years, the software will outgrow the function of MPC LIve and X. They were designed as more of a band aid. They really want to be in the Software Game.
By Danoc Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:35 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Danoc wrote:So let them get in the software game.
5,000 is 5,000 no matter when.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You bought 2 MPC LIVES you only have 7 grand to go. :)

Exactly :lol: :nod:
By Ill-Green Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:18 pm
The real failure here is not making heat on the MPC Live. Sounds like dudes buy a Live, they couldn't figure out a basic feature, so they kick and scream and never use the Live again but come here and complain. You suppose to be ninja with it!!