MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By TreHolla Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:18 am
Is there anything that would allow me to copy a sample without using any memory like they do on the ASR-10 on the MPC X? Basically is there a "copy parameters" function on the MPC X or anything similar to it?
By NearTao Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:32 pm
What is it you are trying to accomplish by doing a copy without using memory? The MPC X has quite a lot of memory for samples, and by definition making a copy will use up more memory. You might want to look into the non-destructive chops... but without knowing your end game, it'd be hard to tell what the right tactic would be.
By Moho Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 pm
The samples reside in the sample pool, AFAIK you could have the same sample on every pad and use no more memory then having it on one as they all point to the same sample in the pool.
Copying pads within an instrument copies all parameters, unfortunately you cannot copy to another instrument, at least I haven't found a way.
Hope this helps
By TreHolla Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:07 pm
To Tao, the goal would be to use less memory. What is the total sample time available for the MPC X anyhow?
And to Moho thanks, I know what you're saying and I appreciate your response. Thank you.
By TreHolla Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:45 pm
i scanned the article and didn't see an exact number. i saw some different types of conversions, but nothing exact. that's what i was asking for. someone surely has an mpc x, can press record in, and look at the numbers on the top and see what it says right?
By NearTao Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:07 pm
The article says "Based on my findings, it seems the MPC Live and MPC X have approximately 1130 MB of usable RAM available. More importantly, this equals around 53 minutes of stereo audio (at 44.1kHz)."

Probably the more important point in the article is that regardless of what size or bit rate of the data you import, it is being processed to a 32-bit file in memory. I'd say use the 53 minutes of audio as a rule of thumb, instead of how much memory you have and file sizes. Obviously you can get clever by using old school techniques such as pitch shifting up samples that you load in, and then pitch shifting down or converting samples from stereo to mono to increase your sample time.

Hopefully that helps.