MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Caustic Yoda Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:02 am
Hi there
just starting to dabble with the keygroup type track, does anyone know how to assign a midi channel to it so i can play it from external keyboard and use the pads for drums at same time?
cheers
By Caustic Yoda Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:32 am
interesting i can get it to work the other way around by selecting 16 levels, the pads can play the notes and the keyboard can play the samples assigned to the pads, the other way around would be better tho, will have to wait for a fix. thanks
By MPC-Tutor Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:40 pm
Another option is to split your program into two distinct parts. You could do this with either DRUM or keygroup program types. For example in a keygroup program:

1) Set up a piano instrument samples to cover the required key range; for example A0 to C6.

2) Set up additional keygroups to hold the drum samples, but only use the notes that naturally appear in bank A, i.e. C-2 to Eb-1. For example, create a keygroup covering only note C-2, set to 'keytrack:OFF' and assign your kick sample to it. You can now trigger that kick from pad A1 (which is note C-2).

Now you can use the controller to play the piano with your left hand and your pads to play the drums with your right hand. As this uses a keygroup program you'll have more control over the quality of the instrument sounds (i.e. note range can be more than 16 notes, option of multiple short range keygroups etc) although less options for processing the drum sounds. If you need more control over the drums, create it in a DRUM program instead. But you'll need to reassign the MIDI notes on the pads to make them chromatic - do this in the MPC Software (Edit > Program > Note Mapping).

I'll write up a proper tutorial and post it up to MPC-Tutor asap.
By Caustic Yoda Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:00 pm
Awesome, thanks. sounds like a sensible work around tho drum setup could be painfully slow, the opposite way is prob quicker for me to map a pitched note to a couple of banks i dont use, cant wait till we can select a midi channel for this thing will be so dope with what could be done then, but must be not far off and totally possible if these 2 work arounds can cover it to this extent.
By KoljaBe Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:31 pm
LOL... why would I spent 2000 USD on an instrument and then have to go back to CV level. The most important point of Midi was multivoice and multitimbrality.