MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MPCWeapon1 Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:25 am
shaobadman wrote:I'm finding really good second-hand deals on the LIVE but general consensus on them is really mixed throughout the MPC community, which might also explain the gap between second-hand price and brand new.

I've watched many videos on it and everything sounds good, then again this was the case for the 1000 and I bought one but did not like it too much and have returned it, for several personal preference reasons but otherwise it's a cool machine and it has held decent value for well over 10 years.

So is there a well-known distaste for the LIVE among MPC users? They're something above £1k brand new but I'm finding them used for £700 or around that, when judging by the videos and the specs of the machine it looks to be a decent all-round MPC.

I’ve had every 16 pad MPC except the 60 and 60 II and the MPC X. Well I didn’t own the 5k, but I’ve made beats on it before.

I’ll say this. IMHO the MPC 4K is the best MPC, but the MPC Live is by far my favorite MPC. The workflow. the storage, the RAM, the GUI; the audio interface, the CPU processor, and the battery. Even the stock sounds are dope.
By NearTao Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 pm
shaobadman wrote:
NearTao wrote:From a purely economic standpoint, you are seeing differences in a supply/demand perspective, there are more people looking to sell their Live used than want to buy one used.

Obviously there can be plenty of reasons for this, but as a consumer it gives you the opportunity to find plenty of options to get something that you want.

It's just me being curious because MPC1000s and even 500s at a nice price get taken really quickly, meanwhile I found a New (Other) Live for £700, it's been relisted once (meaning it first went 7 days without a buy and is nearing another 7 days), and was just wondering why nobody else has taken it or any other good second-hand unit. I don't want to be in that position also where I want to return or sell it because these people were just trying to get rid of it.

Absolutely!

I think the economics for the MPC1000/500 and the MPC Live are different. The MPC1000 has a limited supply, no more will be manufactured, while the MPC Live is still in production, and if you wanted one you can get it first or second hand. This leads to people having different reactions in the market.

For instance, I've been looking at getting an MPC X, but a lot of the hardware being sold is at a good discount, but doesn't come with the software for whatever reason. This makes a buying decision more difficult for individuals, because what is the value of the software? Well you can buy it from Akai for sure, but then that increases the cost of total ownership for the second hand MPC X.

Personally I have a 500, 1000, and an Live. The Live hands down replaces the 500 for me, and I will probably sell it. I also haven't touched my 1000 since getting the Live, but man do I wish the Live had some of the features that JJOS adds to the 1000. I haven't developed the muscle memory on the Live that I have for the 1000, but I think I can get there.

Anyways, good luck with your decision man!
By dflat57 Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:34 pm
I already had the X, but I need the Live because I was going out of the country to play and rest a bit. The plan was to return the Live once I got back home, but I may eat that lost money. I love them both!!! I have another trip to take soon, but this time it's in the USA. I think I'll leave the X home again.

Only problem at this point, I kinda use the Live currently more than the X. I would probably take a huge loss selling the X now. I'll most likely keep them both.
By shaobadman Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 am
Icepulse wrote:
It’s probably just because newer generations used to FL, Ableton, etc. Hopped on the hype train, and found the Live limiting. Contemporary hip hop loves the softsynths and plugins; something LIVE doesn’t support standalone.

I personally am delighted w/ the LIVE, because I work pretty strictly w/ samples, and enjoy the benefits of the timbre and ambiance found natively in my sources. A little delay and some filters, and I’m set. But listen to modern trap ****. If that’s what you want to make, you don’t need a Live for that. Y’all can keep it! :lol:

If I want to punch in some synths, I run the OP-1 in as live audio. I rarely quantize anything but the basic drums, anyway, so I can play in my synths, chop em to pads, and play in totally new arrangements. That’s the key. “Play” in the sound. I couldn’t stand to draw in everything w/ a mouse.

I’d rather watch some Golden Girls.

Boom bap every day for me, trap is something I really don't vibe with and I think the LIVE is the sweet spot between an old school approach for boom bap with some future proof element to it, I had a 1000 but it didn't feel right to me, it was still much better to me than working on a DAW on the PC though. Drum pads on a standalone unit are a game changer. Portability on the LIVE makes it more appealing to me than the 1000 which is a decent machine otherwise.

Prior to that though I did have an OP1, cool little machine but MPCs can do way more and have the famous 16 levels. Never really was a synth person either, more just down for sampling and manipulating them.

Thanks for the reply, also good to know others keep it simple because it does demotivate me a little when I see producers online (mostly Reddit etc) talking about all these complex effects and plugins that they have talented ears to hear the impact for, meanwhile all my ears are good for are finding samples and wanting to turn them into something special. It definitely varies from genre to genre.
By shaobadman Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:00 am
NearTao wrote:
Absolutely!

I think the economics for the MPC1000/500 and the MPC Live are different. The MPC1000 has a limited supply, no more will be manufactured, while the MPC Live is still in production, and if you wanted one you can get it first or second hand. This leads to people having different reactions in the market.

For instance, I've been looking at getting an MPC X, but a lot of the hardware being sold is at a good discount, but doesn't come with the software for whatever reason. This makes a buying decision more difficult for individuals, because what is the value of the software? Well you can buy it from Akai for sure, but then that increases the cost of total ownership for the second hand MPC X.

Personally I have a 500, 1000, and an Live. The Live hands down replaces the 500 for me, and I will probably sell it. I also haven't touched my 1000 since getting the Live, but man do I wish the Live had some of the features that JJOS adds to the 1000. I haven't developed the muscle memory on the Live that I have for the 1000, but I think I can get there.

It's only been a year since release there's still hope out there for JJ to cook something up for the LIVE, fingers crossed. I never actually dug into JJOS too much despite my 1000 having it, what kind of features are you missing?

Very useful comment though, really puts it into perspective that even though the older ones have such an awesome rep and are almost a staple, they're not for everyone and at some point the new has its niche position growing. Hard to forecast the LIVE's future and Akai's plan with it though, but seeing as so many are for sale (I've actually found some even cheaper now and barely used) with everything up to the software included I may just pull the trigger on it!
By MPCWeapon1 Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 am
NearTao wrote:Absolutely!

You don’t need the software. One you buy the X you just need to create an account on Akaipro.com, register the X under your credentials and then download the software.
Bymember04959388 Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:01 pm
shaobadman wrote:
Icepulse wrote:
It’s probably just because newer generations used to FL, Ableton, etc. Hopped on the hype train, and found the Live limiting. Contemporary hip hop loves the softsynths and plugins; something LIVE doesn’t support standalone.

I personally am delighted w/ the LIVE, because I work pretty strictly w/ samples, and enjoy the benefits of the timbre and ambiance found natively in my sources. A little delay and some filters, and I’m set. But listen to modern trap ****. If that’s what you want to make, you don’t need a Live for that. Y’all can keep it! :lol:

If I want to punch in some synths, I run the OP-1 in as live audio. I rarely quantize anything but the basic drums, anyway, so I can play in my synths, chop em to pads, and play in totally new arrangements. That’s the key. “Play” in the sound. I couldn’t stand to draw in everything w/ a mouse.

Boom bap every day for me, trap is something I really don't vibe with and I think the LIVE is the sweet spot between an old school approach for boom bap with some future proof element to it, I had a 1000 but it didn't feel right to me, it was still much better to me than working on a DAW on the PC though. Drum pads on a standalone unit are a game changer. Portability on the LIVE makes it more appealing to me than the 1000 which is a decent machine otherwise.

Prior to that though I did have an OP1, cool little machine but MPCs can do way more and have the famous 16 levels. Never really was a synth person either, more just down for sampling and manipulating them.

Thanks for the reply, also good to know others keep it simple because it does demotivate me a little when I see producers online (mostly Reddit etc) talking about all these complex effects and plugins that they have talented ears to hear the impact for, meanwhile all my ears are good for are finding samples and wanting to turn them into something special. It definitely varies from genre to genre.

If you work mainly with sample, you cannot go wrong with Live.
It's an advanced sampler, and it lets you work with samples from the very beginning of the process.
And well, as an Mpc it makes wonders with samples.
By Danoc Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:21 pm
Yeah man love boom bap, I'm from NYC so I know the feel and love it. I do other music too, but I feel ya. I love the MPC, I just did a track using Tim Kelly's layered sound, his guitar riff was a different timing I think it was like 3/4 and not the reg 4/4. But I got to stretch that baby, put those hihats in and went to work. Love it. MPC live you can do any type of music. I work fast on it, it's crazy. Once you be on it for a while you just wiz through it and make music. when I make my videos I do have to use my lappy and the Akai 2.2.1. software and it's tight and I love that too. But to manipulate samples on that, OMG :shock: Is heavenly good!

Did Boom Bap joint on it, here's my vid it's time for another one.

shaobadman wrote:
NearTao wrote:
Absolutely!

It's only been a year since release there's still hope out there for JJ to cook something up for the LIVE, fingers crossed. I never actually dug into JJOS too much despite my 1000 having it, what kind of features are you missing?

Very useful comment though, really puts it into perspective that even though the older ones have such an awesome rep and are almost a staple, they're not for everyone and at some point the new has its niche position growing. Hard to forecast the LIVE's future and Akai's plan with it though, but seeing as so many are for sale (I've actually found some even cheaper now and barely used) with everything up to the software included I may just pull the trigger on it!
By Icepulse Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:29 am
shaobadman wrote:
Icepulse wrote:

I gets down w/ that OP, tho.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/ ... unk/?hl=en
By Unreallystic Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:04 pm
I don't think there is a 'stigma' per say, I think there is simply "reality" setting in.

People saw the Live and got excited, it was the move everyone wanted the last go around. Then they got into people's hands and it became...

Oh this isn't "FL Studio on the Go" or "Ableton in a Box".

The initial fervor increased demand, but once that reality hit, coupled with a large number of would-be users sticking with FL Studio, you create a surplus on the used market.

Its understandable, for what the unit provides and at that cost, you can buy a latop with FL Studio and have more flexibility. And lets keep it 100, a LARGE portion if not the majority of possible purchasers for this, are people who fall into that financial range - why buy a unit that for the same cost on a laptop, gives me more options? Most people don't even play out anything, they click the location of a sound (nothing wrong with that, not shade).

But if you are here off the strength of the MPC workflow and styling, if you are here because you won't something with more touch to it than a mouse, if at the home studio it joins an existing setup, then IMO you'll be happy with it. Is it perfect, nah, but you'll in general be happy once you learn it.

On a side note, I REALLY wish the Live's physical format was closer to the X and there was a more "traditional" color option for it. The Live is "modern day clean", but it feels very much styled for "right now"...it doesn't say "MPC" to me physically. And YES that's being picky, and no its not a big deal.
- Unreall
By Crumb$ Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 am
I love my Live. I hated being stuck on a computer with my Maschine and now I get to sit where I want, how I want, and make beats on the Live. I'm sure there's a lot it can't do, but I'm blissfully unaware of that and just enjoy it for what I can get out of it.
By shaobadman Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:39 pm
Unreallystic wrote:I don't think there is a 'stigma' per say, I think there is simply "reality" setting in.

People saw the Live and got excited, it was the move everyone wanted the last go around. Then they got into people's hands and it became...

Oh this isn't "FL Studio on the Go" or "Ableton in a Box".

The initial fervor increased demand, but once that reality hit, coupled with a large number of would-be users sticking with FL Studio, you create a surplus on the used market.

Its understandable, for what the unit provides and at that cost, you can buy a latop with FL Studio and have more flexibility. And lets keep it 100, a LARGE portion if not the majority of possible purchasers for this, are people who fall into that financial range - why buy a unit that for the same cost on a laptop, gives me more options? Most people don't even play out anything, they click the location of a sound (nothing wrong with that, not shade).

But if you are here off the strength of the MPC workflow and styling, if you are here because you won't something with more touch to it than a mouse, if at the home studio it joins an existing setup, then IMO you'll be happy with it. Is it perfect, nah, but you'll in general be happy once you learn it.

On a side note, I REALLY wish the Live's physical format was closer to the X and there was a more "traditional" color option for it. The Live is "modern day clean", but it feels very much styled for "right now"...it doesn't say "MPC" to me physically. And YES that's being picky, and no its not a big deal.
- Unreall

Well written, I completely understand. I'm no professional producer or anything but I enjoy sampling and making instrumentals from basic samples, I was never really a FL Studio or Ableton or any kind of PC DAW type and that's why my first purchase was an OP1. It was fun and portable, but I outgrew it due to its limited ability in what I wanted to do and that's why I'm after a LIVE now. It might sound wrong coming from someone who doesn't have a unit yet (I'm working on it though) but I can't understand the expectations of the machine from those who react to it negatively. Even though I don't have one yet I really don't think I'd enjoy carrying my laptop around and making beats on that with a mouse and keyboard, the LIVE looks really appealing and judging by all the videos I've watched on it, seems to be priced appropriately (especially second-hand) for what it is.

And as for the design my only gripe with it is the removal of classic MPC buttons like cursors etc, I understand that there's a touch screen but it'd be cool if you had more options to use the touch screen less.

Some people see it as so and so DAW in a box and it doesn't meet their expectations - it makes me wonder how off my perception of the LIVE is, and I view it as the modern answer to the old MPCs with portability and a somewhat more compact size.
By Danoc Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:33 am
View it of the stand point how it works for you. People expecting it to be a full DAW :WTF: it has DAW capabilities but its not exactly like the DAWs on a computer.

shaobadman wrote:
Well written, I completely understand. I'm no professional producer or anything but I enjoy sampling and making instrumentals from basic samples, I was never really a FL Studio or Ableton or any kind of PC DAW type and that's why my first purchase was an OP1. It was fun and portable, but I outgrew it due to its limited ability in what I wanted to do and that's why I'm after a LIVE now. It might sound wrong coming from someone who doesn't have a unit yet (I'm working on it though) but I can't understand the expectations of the machine from those who react to it negatively. Even though I don't have one yet I really don't think I'd enjoy carrying my laptop around and making beats on that with a mouse and keyboard, the LIVE looks really appealing and judging by all the videos I've watched on it, seems to be priced appropriately (especially second-hand) for what it is.

And as for the design my only gripe with it is the removal of classic MPC buttons like cursors etc, I understand that there's a touch screen but it'd be cool if you had more options to use the touch screen less.

Some people see it as so and so DAW in a box and it doesn't meet their expectations - it makes me wonder how off my perception of the LIVE is, and I view it as the modern answer to the old MPCs with portability and a somewhat more compact size.