MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By shaobadman Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:37 pm
I'm finding really good second-hand deals on the LIVE but general consensus on them is really mixed throughout the MPC community, which might also explain the gap between second-hand price and brand new.

I've watched many videos on it and everything sounds good, then again this was the case for the 1000 and I bought one but did not like it too much and have returned it, for several personal preference reasons but otherwise it's a cool machine and it has held decent value for well over 10 years.

So is there a well-known distaste for the LIVE among MPC users? They're something above £1k brand new but I'm finding them used for £700 or around that, when judging by the videos and the specs of the machine it looks to be a decent all-round MPC.
By Danoc Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:16 pm
I purchased the Live brand new for $959! I havebhad nothing but joynwith this machine. I hope Akai keeps up the good work and updates.

shaobadman wrote:(This is a cross-post from another section here.)

I'm finding really good second-hand deals on the LIVE but general consensus on them is really mixed throughout the MPC community, which might also explain the gap between second-hand price and brand new.

I've watched many videos on it and everything sounds good, then again this was the case for the 1000 and I bought one but did not like it too much and have returned it, for several personal preference reasons but otherwise it's a cool machine and it has held decent value for well over 10 years.

So is there a well-known distaste for the LIVE among MPC users? They're something above £1k brand new but I'm finding them used for £700 or around that, when judging by the videos and the specs of the machine it looks to be a decent all-round MPC.
Bymember04959388 Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 pm
If you are looking for a work station or a groove machine, well, you get the best.
If you want to replace a daw, keep your daw.
I takes a bit to learn how to be fast but once you learn it, its a really brilliant and well thought machine.
And it sounds really good.
By kaydigi Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 pm
It's a good machine but there are some workflow quirks in there. Just make sure it can do everything you need it to do right now and not in a later software update.

You can also download the software demo so you can get an inkling on how the hardware works. The GUI isn't 1 to 1 with the hardware, but it's pretty close.
By Caustic Yoda Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:43 pm
It is a really good MPC but like all machines being released these days we get an unfinished firmware and software that gets gradual updates and fixes but there is so many features missing or waiting on, gradually getting better, prev gen mpcs software was the same and by the end of the cycle required a paid upgrade to get the functionality we expected from the start, elecktron digitakt is in a similar state and it seems all us beat makers are destined to be beta software testers instead, im enjoying my live and use it live even tho its not as stable as 2500-1000 gen mpcs theres lots it can do that is great. just requires patience and unfortunately there isnt a very active community on here for help when you get stuck, its ok but most questions go unanswered or reply is "this feature will be added eventually"
By Ill-Green Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:09 am
Hardly a stigma, just people wanting more and wanting it fast that are causing the chaos. But if you actually use it you will see its pretty fun to make beats on. If it was impossible to make music on it, then yes, a stigma is well deserved.
By Danoc Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:32 pm
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: Profoundly said.

Ill-Green wrote:Hardly a stigma, just people wanting more and wanting it fast that are causing the chaos. But if you actually use it you will see its pretty fun to make beats on. If it was impossible to make music on it, then yes, a stigma is well deserved.
By Danoc Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:34 pm
:worthy: Naming anything on it is so sweet. Its nice And big for one thing and speedy also.

pspsounds wrote:The Live is cool. It’s pretty stable. Touch screen really speeds up the workflow especially when naming tracks. I couldn’t stand naming tracks on the older units. If you get one make sure to also buy a hard drive too.
Bymember04959388 Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:38 pm
Strange isn't it? People complain all the time in forum about Live missing features, but no one answers badly about Mpc Live in this thread.
Anway, I noticed that after 2.2 update the forums became very quiet.
I guess now all is working fine, more or less, and it will get even better with more updates.
So yes, get your Mpc Live and enjoy
By NearTao Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:28 pm
From a purely economic standpoint, you are seeing differences in a supply/demand perspective, there are more people looking to sell their Live used than want to buy one used.

Obviously there can be plenty of reasons for this, but as a consumer it gives you the opportunity to find plenty of options to get something that you want.
By shaobadman Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:18 am
NearTao wrote:From a purely economic standpoint, you are seeing differences in a supply/demand perspective, there are more people looking to sell their Live used than want to buy one used.

Obviously there can be plenty of reasons for this, but as a consumer it gives you the opportunity to find plenty of options to get something that you want.

It's just me being curious because MPC1000s and even 500s at a nice price get taken really quickly, meanwhile I found a New (Other) Live for £700, it's been relisted once (meaning it first went 7 days without a buy and is nearing another 7 days), and was just wondering why nobody else has taken it or any other good second-hand unit. I don't want to be in that position also where I want to return or sell it because these people were just trying to get rid of it.
By Icepulse Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:32 am
shaobadman wrote:
NearTao wrote:From a purely economic standpoint, you are seeing differences in a supply/demand perspective, there are more people looking to sell their Live used than want to buy one used.

It's just me being curious because MPC1000s and even 500s at a nice price get taken really quickly, meanwhile I found a New (Other) Live for £700, it's been relisted once (meaning it first went 7 days without a buy and is nearing another 7 days), and was just wondering why nobody else has taken it or any other good second-hand unit. I don't want to be in that position also where I want to return or sell it because these people were just trying to get rid of it.

It’s probably just because newer generations used to FL, Ableton, etc. Hopped on the hype train, and found the Live limiting. Contemporary hip hop loves the softsynths and plugins; something LIVE doesn’t support standalone.

I personally am delighted w/ the LIVE, because I work pretty strictly w/ samples, and enjoy the benefits of the timbre and ambiance found natively in my sources. A little delay and some filters, and I’m set. But listen to modern trap shit. If that’s what you want to make, you don’t need a Live for that. Y’all can keep it! :lol:

If I want to punch in some synths, I run the OP-1 in as live audio. I rarely quantize anything but the basic drums, anyway, so I can play in my synths, chop em to pads, and play in totally new arrangements. That’s the key. “Play” in the sound. I couldn’t stand to draw in everything w/ a mouse.

I’d rather watch some Golden Girls.