MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By tando63 Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:38 am
Need help!
Sorry this is pretty long - Please check YouTube link below to see problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ObOXcK7ho

I purcased a new MPC Live in May and thought it was an awsome until I started doing a bit of finger drumming. I noticed that the samples would work fine for a couple of hits then on the next hit the sampled sound would cut off early. I returned the unit and was handed a new one, took it home and it had the same issue. Took it back to the store for a 3rd unit which I tried in store for a few minutes and thought was fine. However being an intermittent fault it worked for about 5 minutes before showing the same fault again. This 3rd unit also had another fault where after hitting the pad it would show signal in the meters but no sound was output. I concluded that these were part of a bad batch and said to the service centre to fix one as new and test it before retuning it to me. That way I would know it was working as it should. Now it is July and still no MPC so I went to speak to the tech (nice guy but not a musician) he told me that since checking the 3 retuned MPCs he has checked all MPC Live & MPC X units that come in for service, and they all do the same thing and therefore was just a normal quirk and believes that all MPC Live & MPC X units everywhere are the same. I don't believe any gear at this price would have an acceptable glitch!
So here are my questions...
1. Does anybody think this is normal?
2. Has anybody had any similar problems?
3. Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this?
4. Am I doing anthing wrong?
I have a Push 2 & Novation Circuit and they both have not missed a beat.
Thanks.
By inflict3 Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:52 am
Do u have note repeat on? Is there a setting for velocity/note length. If you have the full level button pressed so all your pads play full velocity does this still happen? Kinda reminds me of a round robin effect sorta thing.
By Moho Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:31 am
Judging by the video its a pad sensitivity problem and you are double triggering the pad
ie. you hit the pad the drum sounds your finger then bounces back gently retriggering the drum but at such a low velocity it sounds cut off.
Adjust you pad sensitivity or playing style.
By tando63 Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 am
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Check your mute groups inside program edit

Thanks for your reply.
Pretty sure it's not a mute group thing as I can hit it 2 times in a row and it will trigger fine the 1st time and not the next. I think if it was in a mute group it would mute consistently. But I have been know to be wrong before. :P
By tando63 Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:03 am
inflict3 wrote:Do u have note repeat on? Is there a setting for velocity/note length. If you have the full level button pressed so all your pads play full velocity does this still happen? Kinda reminds me of a round robin effect sorta thing.

Thanks for your reply.
No, it worked perfectly at full velocity.
By tando63 Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:15 am
Moho wrote:Judging by the video its a pad sensitivity problem and you are double triggering the pad
ie. you hit the pad the drum sounds your finger then bounces back gently retriggering the drum but at such a low velocity it sounds cut off.

Thanks for your reply.
I don't have the MPC atm, it's been at the service centre for over a month now and they don't have any answers for me. For the few days I had one at home i tried most settings. When i tried sensitivity setting it would still happen. In fact at the lowest setting the pads would randomly trigger themselves. I did start to think it may have been my technique but I dont have any problem with other branded gear. I did try all sorts of ways to tap the pads.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:28 am
You’re wrong doesn’t work this way..Check again with a fresh/empty project and let me know after you get your Live back..
tando63 wrote:
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Check your mute groups inside program edit

Thanks for your reply.
Pretty sure it's not a mute group thing as I can hit it 2 times in a row and it will trigger fine the 1st time and not the next. I think if it was in a mute group it would mute consistently. But I have been know to be wrong before. :P
By Moho Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:37 am
tando63 wrote:
Moho wrote:Judging by the video its a pad sensitivity problem and you are double triggering the pad

Thanks for your reply.
I don't have the MPC atm, it's been at the service centre for over a month now and they don't have any answers for me. For the few days I had one at home i tried most settings. When i tried sensitivity setting it would still happen. In fact at the lowest setting the pads would randomly trigger themselves. I did start to think it may have been my technique but I dont have any problem with other branded gear. I did try all sorts of ways to tap the pads.

I had the same problem until I adjusted the sensitivity / playing technique, the pads are super sensitive, as you say at the lowest settings they can be triggered by vibration which makes it seem like they are triggering themselves, so even just laying your finger on them will trigger them but with a very low velocity cutting off anything that's already playing. When you get your mpc back try it with the full level on this will negate the velocity muting and if you have no cut offs you will know its down to pad sensitivity.
By Danoc Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:01 pm
You have to adjust the pad sensitivity to 8/normal. I went through that and o ce l made the setting it was ok.

tando63 wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
By tando63 Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:01 am
:( Thanks everybody for your input. When I had trouble with the 1st unit I went thru all the settings and tried many different combination of settings (I actually do fault finding in comms for my job and know intermittentl faults are very difficult to pin down). When I got to the pad sensitivity setting I thought that was the answer but unfortunately after a few seconds of playing the same problem would still come and go on all degrees of sensitivity. Curiously my son has just bought a new MPK 249 and is having the same issue but not as frequently when it is in MPC mode using MPC software. But it works like a charm in Ableton mode using Ableton Live 10. Maybe it's firmware/software related! MPK mini works like a charm. Service guy said MPC & MPK249 use the same touch pad so maybe it's hardware. As you can guess I've tried just about everything and still have NO IDEA!!! :WTF: :(
By Mirror Cube Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:10 am
everybody says the mpc has super sensitive pads...

honestly the sensitivity on them is dog s*** compared to my push 2.

sometimes they work. other times they dont.

seems like the only technique that works is to smack it real hard with one finger like an old person learning to type, then quickly retract your finger out of fear for some strange glitch occurring when your finger stays on pad for .2 seconds+.

i love the stand alone functionality. but for finger drumming, im just about ready to trade my mpc live for a maschine honestly...
By 40Beatz Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:31 pm
Make sure Each pad is set to "Poly" in the LFO Modulation Tab. Also make sure none of the pads are assigned to a Mute Group in the LFO Modulation screen
Bymember04959388 Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:13 pm
Check poliphony on program edit.
I had similar problem and I solved changin polyphony from mono to.poly on program edit page.
By 40Beatz Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:38 pm
Wait I just studied the video a lil bit more. In the beginning, it looks like you have to adjust your Pad Sensitivity. The Aftertouch is cutting the sound off. But like I said before, if you have the Pad set to Poly in the LFO Modulation screen, you wont have that problem