MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:09 pm
This is one thing I don't get, how to set one sound on all 16 pads chromatically so each hit will be a different tone. Thanks. If you seen a video point me to it please.
By Ill-Green Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 pm
What I do is put the same sound on all 16 pads, and then pitch shift each one by semitones of 2. If you pitch tune each pad, its gonna be 16 levels with each pad ranging from Mickey Mouse to Barry White. Most likely Nell Carter will be pad 3. But pitch shifting makes the sound chromatic, which is like timestretching but the sample remains the same speed.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:07 am
Danoc wrote:This is one thing I don't get, how to set one sound on all 16 pads chromatically so each hit will be a different tone. Thanks. If you seen a video point me to it please.

1. Create a Keygroup.
2. Assign sample to the Keygroup.
3. That will spread the sound across all the pads.
By Danoc Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:54 am
Thanks CR :)

Question is how do you make a Key Group?

CharlesRandolph wrote:
Danoc wrote:This is one thing I don't get, how to set one sound on all 16 pads chromatically so each hit will be a different tone. Thanks. If you seen a video point me to it please.

1. Create a Keygroup.
2. Assign sample to the Keygroup.
3. That will spread the sound across all the pads.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:37 pm
Danoc wrote:Thanks CR :)

Question is how do you make a Key Group?

1. Go to the main screen
2. In the track field, click the keygroup icon (Looks like pianos)
3. Then press the menu button and go to program editor.
4. From there you can assign the sample and other options.
5. After you assign it, go back to main menu and go at it.
By Danoc Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:15 am
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: my bro thank you.

CharlesRandolph wrote:
1. Go to the main screen
2. In the track field, click the keygroup icon (Looks like pianos)
3. Then press the menu button and go to program editor.
4. From there you can assign the sample and other options.
5. After you assign it, go back to main menu and go at it.
By shaobadman Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:12 pm
Stupid question but doesn't 16 levels do this? I think MPCs used to just speed up and slow down sounds to change pitch, but I saw a video from a YouTuber called MPCHEADZ that used warp with 16 levels to keep the sample the same length on all 16 pads but still allow you to change the pitch.

I don't know how much it'll help or if it's been said already but here is the video.

EDIT: never mind, just realised that key groups are pretty superior, but I still recommend this video. I found it pretty neat that 16 levels has changed so much and you can nearly use the machine like a synth.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:40 pm
shaobadman wrote:Stupid question but doesn't 16 levels do this? I think MPCs used to just speed up and slow down sounds to change pitch, but I saw a video from a YouTuber called MPCHEADZ that used warp with 16 levels to keep the sample the same length on all 16 pads but still allow you to change the pitch.

I don't know how much it'll help or if it's been said already but here is the video.

EDIT: never mind, just realised that key groups are pretty superior, but I still recommend this video. I found it pretty neat that 16 levels has changed so much and you can nearly use the machine like a synth.

Yes, keygroups works best for spreading single note instruments across keyboard. There are lots of options for sound designer and musicians who play live within the Keygroups. I use 16 Pads when I sample chords or do not have a keyboard attached.