MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:41 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Eh, Akai is a bunch of faggots. Dan posting only at gearslutz.com is a big indication. That place brews with emo cocksuckers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Danoc<-----fell the hell out laughing OMG!
LOL LMAO CTFU

I'LL Green you're a mad man lol
By czervas Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:46 am
Hi..
From all what I read a suggest there is no solution for little delay on beatstep pro ? I can use it as controler but as slave sequencer for beat machine not because it is still one half BPM delay when i hit play on MPC..there is something what I miss? Some settings or something ?
By DeaDeus Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:33 am
czervas wrote:Hi..
From all what I read a suggest there is no solution for little delay on beatstep pro ? I can use it as controler but as slave sequencer for beat machine not because it is still one half BPM delay when i hit play on MPC..there is something what I miss? Some settings or something ?

No - unfortunately the only way to avoid it is to have e.g. Sequence 1 completely empty and short - (I use it also to send Program Change information) maybe just 4 beats long (like a count-in of a band) than switch to the first "real" Sequence. This works well, but this is just a workaround and absolutely NOTHING for a live performer...
Most MIDI machines have a constant MIDI Clock running to keep all connected synth in sync.
(you can find out whether your hardware synth' is doing this too, by making the MPC a slave and the synth a master and observe the MIDI protocol on the MPC - it will clearly say "MIDI Clock" as a constant incoming flow)

People try to overcome this issue by having a separate MIDI clock running - silly, as the MPC should be the one who is telling other machines how to behave - as I see the MPC X as a "authoring tool" and not a sampler sequencer.
But this counts for my way of working as I am not using a DAW for authoring a song but only for hard disk recordings!
By czervas Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:45 pm
DeaDeus wrote:
czervas wrote:Hi..

No - unfortunately the only way to avoid it is to have e.g. Sequence 1 completely empty and short - (I use it also to send Program Change information) maybe just 4 beats long (like a count-in of a band) than switch to the first "real" Sequence. This works well, but this is just a workaround and absolutely NOTHING for a live performer...
Most MIDI machines have a constant MIDI Clock running to keep all connected synth in sync.
(you can find out whether your hardware synth' is doing this too, by making the MPC a slave and the synth a master and observe the MIDI protocol on the MPC - it will clearly say "MIDI Clock" as a constant incoming flow)

People try to overcome this issue by having a separate MIDI clock running - silly, as the MPC should be the one who is telling other machines how to behave - as I see the MPC X as a "authoring tool" and not a sampler sequencer.
But this counts for my way of working as I am not using a DAW for authoring a song but only for hard disk recordings!

thnx..it works but hope for some oficial fix :)
By Scott Righteous Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:21 pm
I feel your pain DeaDeus, I have found the RS7k way more solid because of the constant midi clock, but I also have used 2 different Virus's (Viri?) over the years, and both were notorious for not syncing to midi quickly.

Even in my Daw, I have to use a 1 bar intro before sending any midi just to ensure it syncs up. This is via plug-in USB, or just midi out.

My current Ti Rack is working fine in every other regard, no clicks or weird USB issues that some users have. So even with the optimal Virus set up - it won't sync quickly.

I'm curious - have you not had this issue with the RS7k and Virus?

S.
By Caustic Yoda Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:15 pm
Yes my live is sidelined to basic midi usb duties down the chain with mpc3000 as master clock, it works a treat where as the live as master fails, as does the 2500, i think 60, 3k, 4k are only proper mpcs when it comes to master clocks, still not perfect but can conduct a room full of gear without problems, my live goes nut as soon as a korg monologue is plugged in via usb with tempo jumping all over the place, i dont really expect it to get much better at this rate, inmusic has failed big time and should prob just call it a day.re: some comment above 2000xl and 1k also are known to not have good clocks, 1k same as 2500 series
By Caustic Yoda Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:56 pm
even with din cables the reliablity of the lives clock send is a bit off, you can see the machines chasing its bpm displays jumping all over the place trying to catch it, not so on the 3k 4k. the live clock has improved dramatically since release where it was unusable for anything, 2.8 made big improvment but its still not really proper yet
By DeaDeus Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 am
Caustic Yoda wrote:even with din cables the reliablity of the lives clock send is a bit off, you can see the machines chasing its bpm displays jumping all over the place trying to catch it, not so on the 3k 4k. the live clock has improved dramatically since release where it was unusable for anything, 2.8 made big improvment but its still not really proper yet

Funny seeing this rather old thread popping up again.

Yes, 2.8.1 was quite an improvement and yes, the constant clock is still not there :popcorn:
The jumping of the external devices (if you refer to those) is a standard MIDI issue, if no early sync is happening. Especially if you send bank sttings and sysex information to external devices. For a total recall I save settings to external devices in an empty sequence.

The workaround I use (mentioned in other threads) is to start with a very short empty sequence to give the external devices a chance to sync.
By bees80 Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:Personally in my studio i set the MPC Live as a master and sending clock via good old fashioned Midi DIN to a DSI Tempest and a Virus Ti desktop with solid results.I wouldn’t trust any USB connections..
Running the latest 2.8.1 OS

In addition to this, i am running my mpc live as a a master to two elektron boxes, a drumcomputer and another synth via the midi din cables (and using the through on those machines). All tight here. OS 2.8.1 too.
By Cases Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:31 am
Yes my live is sidelined to basic midi usb duties down the chain with mpc3000 as master clock, it works a treat where as the live as master fails, as does the 2500, i think 60, 3k, 4k are only proper mpcs when it comes to master clocks, still not perfect but can conduct a room full of gear without problems, my live goes nut as soon as a korg monologue is plugged in via usb with tempo jumping all over the place, i dont really expect it to get much better at this rate, inmusic has failed big time and should prob just call it a day.re: some comment above 2000xl and 1k also are known to not have good clocks, 1k same as 2500 series

Same, still have that 4K ready for action, I will never sell it. (almost did, but the buyer returned it for financial reasons. :D)

The MPC4000 has one of the tightest midi clocks of all hardware out there, till this very day! There is an article somewhere online showing the tightest midi clocks of all time and only 1 or 2 devices ever produced have slighty better results.

It's insane in 2020 we can't get this 8bit standard to work properly... really shows todays vision of companies like these... a total shame. Midi is the simplest digital protocol ever produced... we can hear and see everybody over the whole world but a simple 8bit protocol fails on a 1000 dollar product in 2020. **** aye..