MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By DeaDeus Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:37 am
This is a known issue and discussed in many forums for quite a while (years), and yes I mentioned it here before.
Other hardware needs to synchronize when the PLAY button is hit - if the AKAI hardware is MIDI master (what I expect - al least for the MPC-X). This is causing a timing lag.
Example: I am running the MPC-X with a Virus Ti as slave. The Virus is running on its own clock if no MIDI clock is coming in. If I start the MPC-X the Virus starts with its own speed and synchronizes slowly down. My Korg M3 needs to pick-up the clock - which causes also a lag.

To overcome this issue AKAI should give us the option in the Sync settings of constant MIDI clock output (which is btw standard with all to me known synth' and groove boxes) - people can decide whether this is something they like or not for their work.
The only workaround for me is to start a short empty sequence to help other hardware to synchronize. This is OK for studiowork, but for live performances an absolute no go.

But AKAI has build the their machines like this since ever, and it very unlikely they will change it - or maybe not :-)
By Danoc Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:09 pm
I'm all over this. Akai gotta fix that midi whereas the Live/X can be a master or a slave. We should have both ootions period.

DeaDeus wrote:This is a known issue and discussed in many forums for quite a while (years), and yes I mentioned it here before.
Other hardware needs to synchronize when the PLAY button is hit - if the AKAI hardware is MIDI master (what I expect - al least for the MPC-X). This is causing a timing lag.
Example: I am running the MPC-X with a Virus Ti as slave. The Virus is running on its own clock if no MIDI clock is coming in. If I start the MPC-X the Virus starts with its own speed and synchronizes slowly down. My Korg M3 needs to pick-up the clock - which causes also a lag.

To overcome this issue AKAI should give us the option in the Sync settings of constant MIDI clock output (which is btw standard with all to me known synth' and groove boxes) - people can decide whether this is something they like or not for their work.
The only workaround for me is to start a short empty sequence to help other hardware to synchronize. This is OK for studiowork, but for live performances an absolute no go.

But AKAI has build the their machines like this since ever, and it very unlikely they will change it - or maybe not :-)
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:12 pm
I find it easier to program everything inside the MPC and use external gear just as MIDI sound modules. The MPC's have enough MIDI tracks to do that. For live use it works great, because I can still tweet the knob of external gear, without fussing with it's clock.

Also the Korg M3 really likes MIDI over USB. That machine is known for the latency issues when syncing to any device. Actually from my experience most KORG devices have MIDI issues.
By DeaDeus Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:00 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:I find it easier to program everything inside the MPC and use external gear just as MIDI sound modules. The MPC's have enough MIDI tracks to do that. For live use it works great, because I can still tweet the knob of external gear, without fussing with it's clock.

Also the Korg M3 really likes MIDI over USB. That machine is known for the latency issues when syncing to any device. Actually from my experience most KORG devices have MIDI issues.

I have not tried the USB-MIDI connection yet, for both the Virus and the M3.
Nevertheless would I expect to have the master system control the speed of the song - the MPC X.
Using an external constant MIDI clock, or as mentioned the clock of one of the synth, might be a solution for someone who is running songs with the same clock speed - in many cases dance music. But for me, working on individual projects and therefore individual speeds, it is more important to have the right speed if I select a certain song in the MPC X. Like I use the functionality of selecting voices and banks using the MPC X.
This is by the way also causing a lag - and the M3 is ++ slow while the Virus is doing it instantly. This can be dramatically improved by "recording" the voice and bank change of the M3 in MPC X.

I have been using the Yamaha RS7000 for 13 years and never experienced any lags - maybe due to the constant MIDI clock "heartbeat" to overcome possible "slow" MIDI machines. Except of the mentioned voice and bank changes. But this was done by programming the sysex commands in the RS7000.
By DeaDeus Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:38 pm
drey wrote:because of this problem all my analog synthesizers are working incorrectly

Try what I have mentioned above:

..and switch to the first standard sequence
By CharlesRandolph Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:13 pm
DeaDeus wrote:I have not tried the USB-MIDI connection yet, for both the Virus and the M3.
Nevertheless would I expect to have the master system control the speed of the song - the MPC X.
Using an external constant MIDI clock, or as mentioned the clock of one of the synth, might be a solution for someone who is running songs with the same clock speed - in many cases dance music.

But for me, working on individual projects and therefore individual speeds, it is more important to have the right speed if I select a certain song in the MPC X. Like I use the functionality of selecting voices and banks using the MPC X.

This is by the way also causing a lag - and the M3 is ++ slow while the Virus is doing it instantly. This can be dramatically improved by "recording" the voice and bank change of the M3 in MPC X.

I have been using the Yamaha RS7000 for 13 years and never experienced any lags - maybe due to the constant MIDI clock "heartbeat" to overcome possible "slow" MIDI machines. Except of the mentioned voice and bank changes. But this was done by programming the sysex commands in the RS7000.

Yes recording the Midi Voice and Bank Change in the MPC X is what I suggest. Constant Midi Clock or Active Sense only let's the slave machine know it's still connected. Doesn't seem to help correct sync issues.

Have you used MPC 3000 or 4000 to push the M3? For Midi Clock issues having the E-RM Multiclock may fix issues, since not all MIDI devices are made equal. Some are just slower. :)
By DeaDeus Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:36 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Yes recording the Midi Voice and Bank Change in the MPC X us what I suggest. Constant Midi Clock or Active Sense only let's the slave machine know it's still connected. Have you used MPC 3000 or 4000 to push the M3?

No - the MPC X is my first AKAI. But looking through old threads in many forums showed that this was somehow always the case.
My understanding is, that MIDI Active Sense is only to "tell" the hardware connected "I am still connected - even though I am not doing anything..." - and this in a fix timing independently to the bpm setting, while the MIDI Clock sends out the "heart beat count" of 24 MIDI ticks in a 1/4note if I remember correctly. Need to check....
By CharlesRandolph Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:41 pm
DeaDeus wrote:No - the MPC X is my first AKAI. But looking through old threads in many forums showed that this was somehow always the case.
My understanding is, that MIDI Active Sense is only to "tell" the hardware connected "I am still connected - even though I am not doing anything..." - and this in a fix timing independently to the bpm setting, while the MIDI Clock sends out the "heart beat count" of 24 MIDI ticks in a 1/4note if I remember correctly. Need to check....

Now I need to check it out. Is it possible to turn the Yamaha RS7000 "Heart Beat Count" off? Also what MideI modes does the Yamaha RS7000 transmits or receives? MMC, MIDI CLOCK, MTC?
By DeaDeus Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:22 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:Now I need to check it out. Is it possible to turn the Yamaha RS7000 "Heart Beat Count" off? Also what MideI modes does the Yamaha RS7000 transmits or receives? MMC, MIDI CLOCK, MTC?

The RS7000 transmits MMC and MIDI Clock signals for sure, as I used it. I never needed to use MTC but I have checked the manual - MTC is possible, including timeshifting for synchronization.
And no - the MIDI Clock runs always - no option to switch it off. But this is not hurting any work I have done in all those years.

btw.: main reason why I have changed to the MPC X was the 4 MIDI outs. The RS 7000 has just two. I had to use a MIDI switch to connect more synth. Now I have more flexibility. And!!! the RS7000 has only two overaged options for saving data: SCSII and SmartMedia cards. My SCSII harddisk is as loud as a vacuum cleaner while the SMcards are out of production for years and second hand are too expensive for a good value. No option for a hardware tweak - at least I have not found anything.

Therefore I am very happy with the MPC X and all the flexibility. I had to change a view steps in my workflows, but this is no problem at all. I gained more then I've lost.
By DeaDeus Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:37 am
I found this while browsing through threads on the AKAI Pro Forum:
http://community.akaipro.com/akai_profe ... y_18801830

The thread is now 12 month old and ends with: ".... I will be happy to submit these feature requests to the Akai team for consideration in a future update. I can certainly see how it would assist users that want to use their MPC as master clocks. "

This is definitely an understatement - "assist users". This should be a common feature for a Control Unit like the MPC X or Live.
By Ill-Green Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 pm
SupremeSoulstice wrote:
That Xparis guy? Why is it that he only posts there? I’m sure Tutor has done more for the brand than GS?

Yup, thats Dan. Tutor is practically the backbone to Akai. Without him and JJ the MPC brand would have met obscurity in 2005. Plus, the only place where Dan got manhandled verbally was at Twitter. Never saw insults from here, maybe complaints and sarcastic frustrations, so they can't say we roughed them out of here.

You got real MPC users here that maybe know every MPC in and out than Dan.