MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Fanu Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:38 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Now with these new MPCs, everyone saying the 1000/2500 were better.

Wouldn't agree with that personally…always found those slightly cheap.
2500 is ok, but its non-JJ-OS, it's super basic…not that dope.

I do feel that Live/X > 2500/1000, easily.
By dryad-66 Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:16 pm
I like the boxy sound of the numarks.More similar to the 2000 ect.Id definitely say if your oldy school the numarks are more similar.The new ones are still akai vibe.But there more like software.But i can tell many many people prefer it like that.Especially with the convenience and features ect.But like someone pointed out....you could fix the old ones quite easily.
By distortedtekno Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:27 am
dryad-66 wrote:I like the boxy sound of the numarks.More similar to the 2000 ect.Id definitely say if your oldy school the numarks are more similar.The new ones are still akai vibe.But there more like software.But i can tell many many people prefer it like that.Especially with the convenience and features ect.But like someone pointed out....you could fix the old ones quite easily.

Say what? Which Numarks sound like the 2000?
By SupremeSoulstice Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:29 am
I’m 43.. since I’ve been messing with the music I’ve owned the 3000, 2kxl and the 4000. Not sure what’s going on with this firmware sh*t that some are experiencing but my unit I just recently copped is fine. Seems like a lot of attitude directed right now towards Akai. I remember the transition days involving Numark. That was horrible and why I chose to leave. Some of y’all got valid gripes. It seems like Akai is getting it back going. I’m happy so far.
By Ill-Green Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:18 am
Looks like I aint the only dirty 40 here :mrgreen: I'm 42, never had the luxury of any MPC until the 500 and the Live (MV8800 in between), but I have no problem here.

For any update, its best to do it at full 100% battery as well as the laptop, especially when you download it so you can get it all at full. And be sure to be well connected, I never use wifi, I use my own paid subscription and own server. Little glitches can happen during a download, it may say 100% success, but a hiccup could ruin some incoming data and when you upload it, you get those unwanted bugs.
By SupremeSoulstice Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:28 am
Ill-Green wrote:Looks like I aint the only dirty 40 here :mrgreen: I'm 42, never had the luxury of any MPC until the 500 and the Live (MV8800 in between), but I have no problem here.

For any update, its best to do it at full 100% battery as well as the laptop, especially when you download it so you can get it all at full. And be sure to be well connected, I never use wifi, I use my own paid subscription and own server. Little glitches can happen during a download, it may say 100% success, but a hiccup could ruin some incoming data and when you upload it, you get those unwanted bugs.

I’m right there with you. Everything you said could very well be what’s going on with some users.
By dryad-66 Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:09 am
distortedtekno wrote:
dryad-66 wrote:I like the boxy sound of the numarks.More similar to the 2000 ect.Id definitely say if your oldy school the numarks are more similar.The new ones are still akai vibe.But there more like software.But i can tell many many people prefer it like that.Especially with the convenience and features ect.But like someone pointed out....you could fix the old ones quite easily.

Say what? Which Numarks sound like the 2000?

Well its a while since i had my 2000's.Had a 1000 last year.So did not run them side by side.BUT,they both sound like akai's to some degree.And both have a boxy feel/tone.Thats the best description i can give lol.There both tight and boxy.And very limited.Which can be good.Was watching a vid where the guy was comparing 1 for 1 the sounds and they kinda were the same (in the vid)Come to think of it they are obviously different.But i used them in the same way.Like em both for similar reasons.I use the software and have tried the Live/X a few times.Different experience.Thats all i can say.The end result is these these new ones just dont have any limitations.Sharp,bright and lots of clarity.The 2000 and the 1000 do actually have some warmth and compression.Which i like.Probably due to the raw low quality adda ect.I think that missing with a lot of modern stuff.Ilike both by the way.Im not ripping Akai (probably the opposite,the sound in many ways has improoved a lot ) Im not a fan of the candy lights ect tho.I know that.
Last edited by dryad-66 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Cockdiesel Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:19 am
I remember the 2000 sounding really bad compared to the live.

The live is an awesome writing tool, and gives you the basics for sound design and rough mixes.

I really love the live but after having it almost a year and half it does feel like a more evolved 2500 or 1000. Perhaps a few years later than it should have.

I used standalone for most of the time owning it but using it with software seems to create some lag. I much prefer to sound design on the computer, write standalone with just the live and an Arturia key step and refine my stuff in a better way with the computer. I think this is it’s intended function.

No it’s not all in one but I can take it anywhere and write in a more creative space than cramped up with my computer and other gear.

All other gear especially older akais are meant to be part of a system. The live or x is something you can take to environments that are more conducive for creativity.

I haven’t worked on computers for audio much but it’s draining. I’d much rather grab the live, my keys and a battery operated effects box and stare at the stars to make music. Sometime I even wander around my yard just chillen. You can’t wxpect to make fully mixed tracks that way but it sure helps the creative juices flowing.
By MPC-Tutor Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 am
Some flakiness can potentially be attributed to the cheap internal SD card used to house the factory sounds. Replacing this with a good quality SanDisk has resolved issues for some guys. Requires opening up the MPC and copying the existing disc via software that can read Linux format. https://m.facebook.com/groups/550328948 ... ent_filter
By Ill-Green Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:42 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Some flakiness can potentially be attributed to the cheap internal SD card used to house the factory sounds. Replacing this with a good quality SanDisk has resolved issues for some guys. Requires opening up the MPC and copying the existing disc via software that can read Linux format. https://m.facebook.com/groups/550328948 ... ent_filter

Thats probably what they do at the service department at Akai. Tell you to bring it in just to swap an SD card, when you can do it yourself.
By sinik Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:46 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Some flakiness can potentially be attributed to the cheap internal SD card used to house the factory sounds. Replacing this with a good quality SanDisk has resolved issues for some guys. Requires opening up the MPC and copying the existing disc via software that can read Linux format. https://m.facebook.com/groups/550328948 ... ent_filter

is there a non-facebook-link to this topic?
By Unreallystic Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:50 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:I remember the 2000 sounding really bad compared to the live.

The live is an awesome writing tool, and gives you the basics for sound design and rough mixes.

I really love the live but after having it almost a year and half it does feel like a more evolved 2500 or 1000. Perhaps a few years later than it should have.

I used standalone for most of the time owning it but using it with software seems to create some lag. I much prefer to sound design on the computer, write standalone with just the live and an Arturia key step and refine my stuff in a better way with the computer. I think this is it’s intended function.

No it’s not all in one but I can take it anywhere and write in a more creative space than cramped up with my computer and other gear.

All other gear especially older akais are meant to be part of a system. The live or x is something you can take to environments that are more conducive for creativity.

I haven’t worked on computers for audio much but it’s draining. I’d much rather grab the live, my keys and a battery operated effects box and stare at the stars to make music. Sometime I even wander around my yard just chillen. You can’t wxpect to make fully mixed tracks that way but it sure helps the creative juices flowing.

I call it "An Expensive Scratch Pad". It's stand alone in concept, but you aren't doing a song from soup to nuts without plugging up to a computer to finish it *realistically*. That's MY biggest gripe at this point, and I understand why - so I'm not upset, but most of my work on the Live doesn't amount to much simply because I don't use it at home (Ableton/Push setup), so I have a huge catalog of music I've made on there that's just not finished (but I admit that's a ME problem). I've been adjusting my studio setup(s) for better integration of the Live, it has its own "area" now, but it is more of "work on music remotely" device IMO...so its in a weird space...
work remotely for creativity...but have to go home to actually execute...
-Unreall
By maadphonic Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:28 pm
I bought mine November 2017 and been using it almost daily since. Played one live show with it as well. Never experienced any bugs crashes or freezes, might have been lucky? Though, I must say, the provided USB cable did not work with the MPC and caused me some headache when trying to update the software (one would think the unused provided cable should be compatible).

This is the unit that has ben fitting my workflow the best. I've been using 2kxl ,1000 and 500. The touchscreen is a nice feature and the sheer size of it provides an nice overview. I prefer using the q-links for parameters but it is nice knowing the "touchability" is there if needed.
The FX are better than the preset setting of each effect seem to be, the presets make every effect sound horrible. Now, I really liked the other models I've used but the amount of fun I'm having sitting with this one is far superior cause it really feeds my creativity. And the lovely feature of exporting stems, exploding tracks directly to an USB drive to plug in to the computer, if wanted, is done so easy and with zero headaches.

Try playing around on one at a store, if you have fun there you probably won't be disappointed when brought home. That's my thoughts!
By Emergingstates Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:23 pm
I did the internal SD card upgrade. You can use 256GB cards and bigger but I chose 128GB U3 card.

I would say it is worth it, makes the machine slightly snappier and the extra storage is great. I now know that there is a quality card in there, I’ll upload a photo of the Akai card for you guys.

Being able to delete the EDM samples was pretty satisfying too :Sigh:

Very happy with the Live, it goes with me everywhere.

Would love an X!