MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:31 am
saltmcgault wrote:i have a track “better days” that looks like that on soundcloud but it actually sounds pretty good on some monitors. but yea can’t wait for this mixer to arrive so a can zero my **** in..

Gave it a listen and it's has clipping. You can really hear the over compression and distortions around kick drum and bass-line. You can tell because the Piano, Vocal, and Drums are pushing against each other.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:41 am
Danoc wrote:I like this joint right here. I might have to get this, matter fact add this to my list. I've heard this in action by Brauer. And it looks sexy as ****!

Im trying to figure out what hardware can do what this does.

These units can do it: Lexicon MPX-1, TC electronics M3000, or Eventide H8000 and H9000. However you're going to pay.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:44 am
Fanu wrote:
There's a ton of worthless engineers there, and also a lot of clients who are impressed by loudness. A good engineer is one who's able to do loud AND punchy. Gotta balance the mix properly using several tools and techniques before limiting to get there.

Many of my clients want it loud, and I make sure that it has that punch at the same time.
If their mix sucks (and if I'm just mastering and not handling the mix, too) and it can't go loud, I'll say we can't go that loud…don't want to put out smashed and loud stuff.

It takes years and years of studying the craft to make it good.

I agree. I also feel some people master certain genres better than others. They can do EDM but can't do Hip Hop. They can do Jazz and Classical but can't do country and Heavy Metal.
By Danoc Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:56 am
First you must tell what you think it does. Then do tell us the price! drum roll drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm!

:mrgreen:

Cockdiesel wrote:If that does what I think it does there’s expensive quad systems in the modular realm. Buchla has made quad systems since the late 60s
By Cockdiesel Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:05 am
It does some sort of 3-d ish panning in stereo. While it’s not the same a buchla 227e more than likely goes way beyond that plugin. For one module it’s 2049.00....
That doesn’t include any other module needed to use the thing. Or even hear it unless you fold it down to stereo. You need a quad system to actually really use the thing.

After thinking about it I think i come close to that plugin with my analog heat and eventide h9. The panning and automation on the heat and the h9 for the depth. I imagine using a chain of plugins could do as well.

Hopefullly I’m close, I didn’t look into that plugin and just going off the top of my head.

http://foxtonemusic.com/227e-system-interface/
By saltmcgault Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:06 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
saltmcgault wrote:i have a track “better days” that looks like that on soundcloud but it actually sounds pretty good on some monitors. but yea can’t wait for this mixer to arrive so a can zero my **** in..

Gave it a listen and it's has clipping. You can really hear the over compression and distortions around kick drum and bass-line. You can tell because the Piano, Vocal, and Drums are pushing against each other.

i have my associates in mechanical engineering not audio :lol: trying to learn what i can on mastering my shit. i think zeroing the gains is a good thing to start doing. thanks again for the advice.
By Danoc Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:25 am
I've used the H9000 and M3000 and never heard them do 360 degree movement and pingponging simultaneously with any sound ran through them.
Plus it does a whole crap more in one unit.

CharlesRandolph wrote:
These units can do it: Lexicon MPX-1, TC electronics M3000, or Eventide H8000 and H9000. However you're going to pay.
By Danoc Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:48 am
Yeah that plugin is on some 5D crap! It does way more than you may think.
That Buchla 227e cost a lot plus you gotta run different cables into it... Just thinking about that gives me a dam headache :Sigh: and you gotta know what you're doing.

Cockdiesel wrote:It does some sort of 3-d ish panning in stereo. While it’s not the same a buchla 227e more than likely goes way beyond that plugin. For one module it’s 2049.00....
That doesn’t include any other module needed to use the thing. Or even hear it unless you fold it down to stereo. You need a quad system to actually really use the thing.

After thinking about it I think i come close to that plugin with my analog heat and eventide h9. The panning and automation on the heat and the h9 for the depth. I imagine using a chain of plugins could do as well.

Hopefullly I’m close, I didn’t look into that plugin and just going off the top of my head.

http://foxtonemusic.com/227e-system-interface/
By Cockdiesel Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:01 am
You have two panners and it makes use of the front and back of the stereo field. I’m no expert with this stuff especially quad but I imagine it’s just trying to emulate the quad sound, and might do it pretty nicely in a stereo environment.

Like yo though I would rather have the plugin because I don’t really know I’m doing lol.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:44 am
Danoc wrote:I've used the H9000 and M3000 and never heard them do 360 degree movement and pingponging simultaneously with any sound ran through them.
Plus it does a whole **** more in one unit.

With the H9000 you may have to program two different effects to do it. However Dytronics FS-1 Cyclosonic Panner does it. But you can only buy it used.

Have you tried the AMBEO Orbit it's a free plugin from sennheiser. On the page is a tutorial video. I can definitely see the application of this plug in for Dolby Atmos or Headphones.

Link: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ambeo-blueprints-downloads
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:04 am
saltmcgault wrote: i have my associates in mechanical engineering not audio :lol: trying to learn what i can on mastering my ****. i think zeroing the gains is a good thing to start doing. thanks again for the advice.

The key is to keep doing it until it doesn't suck. I find a good rule of thumb is to compress it until you can hear the compressor working, then back it off until you can't. Now this does not matter if you're looking for that over-compressed sound to add character.

I feel ear training is the key, to all of this. Most people ears are so messed up, they have no idea what they are listening to. Also their EGO's are so big, they don't listen to anyone. When mastering it's important to listen to the master in the car, headphones, in the studio, ear buds, laptop speaker, and Big Venues.

Note what sounds bad and go back to the studio and fix what you noted. Also KEEP IT SIMPLE!
Mixing and Mastering is all about keeping it simple and listening with fresh ears. I take a break every 15 minutes, just so my ears can refresh. I also don't listen to music at crazy levels. Can't repair damaged hearing.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Fanu Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:05 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Fanu wrote:
There's a ton of worthless engineers there, and also a lot of clients who are impressed by loudness. A good engineer is one who's able to do loud AND punchy. Gotta balance the mix properly using several tools and techniques before limiting to get there.

Many of my clients want it loud, and I make sure that it has that punch at the same time.
If their mix sucks (and if I'm just mastering and not handling the mix, too) and it can't go loud, I'll say we can't go that loud…don't want to put out smashed and loud stuff.

It takes years and years of studying the craft to make it good.

I agree. I also feel some people master certain genres better than others. They can do EDM but can't do Hip Hop. They can do Jazz and Classical but can't do country and Heavy Metal.

Agree.
I work a lot with hip hop and bass music and related styles; a lot of electronic like house, too.
Stuff where the beats have to punch and the bass has to have some force, and clean and loud masters are needed.

I don't work with rock or EDM much (probably because how I've got profiled as an engineer, and that suits me fine).
By Fanu Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:10 am

Hearing a lot of unpleasant distortion on that, my man!

If you guys ever need help with engineering, just holler.
Can give MPC forum members a bit of a discount on any first job/batch.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:01 pm
Danoc wrote:I like this joint right here. I might have to get this, matter fact add this to my list. I've heard this in action by Brauer. And it looks sexy as ****!
Im trying to figure out what hardware can do what this does.

The more and more I research this, the more I see how much the same dedicated hardware pieces cost to do the same thing.