MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By dirtrobot Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:04 pm
Hey all,
Been lurking for a while, I have an mpc live and in my setup I want to trigger it using an external sequencer (crazy, I know). However, I can't find any kind of document that details how the mpc live inputs or outputs midi. Is it as simple as hitting pads and turning knobs with a midi monitor?

Any help I could get would be appreciated as I've probably been googling and searching forums for about a week trying to find this.

Cheers!
By dirtrobot Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:03 pm
My desired usage is a little crazy, I want to use my squarp pyramid to sequence the mpc live. I don't really 'get' the workflow in the mpc live (no offense to those who love it! keep loving it!) but I really enjoy being hands on with sample manipulation and setting up pads etc

Thanks again for your time!
By DeaDeus Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:10 am
Ill-Green wrote:All is known that MIDI over USB is not implemented.

Yes , and not having MIDI specification as part of the manual is very unusual. Searching the web for "manual MIDI Specs" will return dozens of manual of all kind of brands with exactly this. AKAI seems to ignore this standard.

You can find the standard values of course here at the MIDI Association site: "https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/table-1-summary-of-midi-message" - but sometimes it is good to know what is NOT implemented
By akom-studio.com Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:39 am
Hey,

just to be sure what should or shouldn't be working:

I connected my Live via USB to my DAW. I also completed the setup as described here:
http://www.akaipro.com/support/kb/artic ... -in-cubase

In Midi Input setup of Cubase 9.5 I can see MPC Live Port 1 and Port 2 as well as Live Public. Anyway, if I use the MPC Live's pads I will here a sound of the program loaded, but the MPC does not send any midi data to Cubase via USB connection.

Weirdly enough, I just plugged a 5pin DIN from Live's output A to my DAW and the MPC still does not send any midi data.

When I used the same port in standalone, I was able to trigger an external synth though.

Any ideas or is it behaving just 'as designed'?

EDIT: just noticed, it actually DOES send midi via 'MPC Live Public' unless you load the MPC software as an instrument. Then the software takes over the hardware.

Cheers Sven