MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Crumb$ Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:31 pm
I've been happily using my MPC live for many months now without having to give any thought to the difference between Master BPM and Sequence BPM, and I've had no problem. For whatever reason, it's now caught my attention and I'm worrying that I might fu*k something up without knowing.

...so, can someone give me an example of how they work with each other? I've no problem understanding basic BPM. I just never considered there being two instances of it, if that makes sense.

Thanks...

p.s. I would dig through my manual/bible but I'm trying to keep the creative spurt going while its going...
By mr_debauch Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:53 pm
master BPM makes the change to all sequences in the project at the same time. If you make the change, when you make a new sequence you will notice it is already set to the desired BPM now. If you just change the sequence BPM, it does it only for the one sequence (and other sequences only if you copied the sequence that have already been made)

The reason they offer the feature is because maybe you don't want the whole song to be the same speed.... maybe your intro sequence you might want slower or different than the main chorus sequence(s) ... or maybe you want to create a breakdown or a bridge that deviates from the rest of the song so you would just make the change on the sequence tempo in those cases... changing the master tempo instead would set the change for every sequence instead.