MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Crumb$ Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:31 pm
Whatsup MPC people....!

Sorry if this has been asked before... I was playing around earlier trying to learn the chords for Bill Evans piano piece in the Miles Davis track Blue In Green. You all know it.... (thanks Dilla).

Anyway, my fingers can't stretch so well to play it nicely and I remembered the Pad Perform feature on the MPC and wondered if I could customize the chords. After reading the manual it seems you can do it from the software and then transfer the progressions folder over. But it only describes transferring it over, not actually how you make the chords up. I went through the exercise in the Bible too, that involves analysing chords from a track that was already made.

So my question is simply, in order to customise the chord progressions (or chords in general) on the MPC Live, do I have to draw them manually in the software?

Thanks!
By Crumb$ Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:37 am
...while we're on the subject... I just drew my chords in to the MPC software, and clicked on Convert Track To Progression... and the chords sound correct when I click on each one... But the name of the chord is not correct. For instance, the first chord is Bbmin9 (Bflat minor 9th). But it shows up as A#min9. When I try to correct the name, it doesn't stick.

It just seems to be calling the flats sharps, which is understandable, but wrong.

Any ideas how this bit works?