MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By elstebbano Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:32 pm
hi,
I am starting to use the synths on the mpc more and more and after some tweaking the synths really drift towards useable/ decent territory, but I think the factory presets are not that good in general and as a starting point for tweaking.
Has anyone found some sources for preset packs for the synths, yet?
I dont really find something with google..
cheers
By elstebbano Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:56 am
are you sure about that? I have made some good ones and saved them on my ssd in a folder. I have not looked at them on a pc, but aren’t they just small config files for the synths? If you mean it is not possible for the presets to be shown in the preset select menu inside the synths, you are probably right..
By MPC-Tutor Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:13 am
I seem to remember the issue is that the .xpl preset files are stored on the internal drive, and there's currently no easy way to transfer additional files to this location as the internal disk isn't accessible via USB, nor are there any 'copy/paste' or 'move' functions available in the browser. So the only way to do it is to manually import presets from an external disk, but I believe this can only be done one preset at a time.

The only way potentially around this is if the MPC can automatically read a preset folder created on an external disk via some kind of automated mapping, like it does when putting expansions inside an 'Expansions' folder on an attached disk.
By MPC-Tutor Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:24 am
I just tried creating a folder structure on an external disk 'Plugin Presets / Instruments / AIR Music Technology - MPC - TubeSynth' and put some presets inside this folder, but that didn't autoload the presets into Tubesynth.

Akai just need to add the option of bulk importing a folder of presets.
By elstebbano Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:09 am
oh wow, well that is unfortunate. Thanks for trying anyway 8)
so the only option for sharing presets would be by clicking on the presets in the mpc browser, but not in the drop down menu in the synth, is that correct?
I did not try it yet, but when i copy a selfmade preset on a usb drive and put it on a different mpc, it should load, or not?
By MPC-Tutor Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:09 pm
I see that we are looking at different things here. I'm referring to the xpl preset files that are loaded into the plugin via program edit using the folder icon in the UI (and subsequently appearing under the 'user' category). In your screenshot you have xpm program files, so I take it you are saving the entire plugin program itself, rather than saving the individual preset file?

If so that would actually be another option but that would mean the presets are not permanently available from the UI within the plugin, you would have to load the entire plugin program each time. it might cause friction from some customers, but it's definitely a way of distributing bulk presets. I guess program previews would also work this way.
By EnochLight Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:09 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I take it you are saving the entire plugin program itself, rather than saving the individual preset file?

If so that would actually be another option but that would mean the presets are not permanently available from the UI within the plugin, you would have to load the entire plugin program each time. it might cause friction from some customers, but it's definitely a way of distributing bulk presets. I guess program previews would also work this way.

For now it's likely the only solution, but yeah - it's super clunky and not elegant at all. It's a shame Akai didn't offer some sort of way to just save/load/buy/sell plugin preset packs for the standalone plugins. Clearly there would be a market for it. Yet another missed opportunity. :WTF:
By droctii Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:37 pm
I know it's bad form to bump a thread this old, but has anyone figured out if we can bulk import custom presets? Does anyone have custom presets they can share, even if we have to import them individually?
By MPC-Tutor Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:49 pm
droctii wrote:I know it's bad form to bump a thread this old, but has anyone figured out if we can bulk import custom presets? Does anyone have custom presets they can share, even if we have to import them individually?

If the synth is stored on an attached drive then you can add additional presets to the relevant 'Presets' folder inside the main 'Synths' folder (e.g. inside the 'Synths > Air Music > Mellotron' folder). But each preset needs a unique number and must be named with the category in the file name, e.g. 53045-My Expansion-Bass-My Bass Preset.xpl

Problem is that all synths are stored on the internal drive on the MPC Key. There is a further hacky way around this which can also be used for synths like tubesynth on all the MPCs, but can be unstable and also requires you mirror the internal presets on the attached disk.

None of these are particularly suitable for commercial preset distribution IMO. So currently the best way is still to offer presets inside an expansion and browse the presets in the expansion browser (audio previews for xpl files do now work here).

I have a Fabric XL preset expansion which still needs some final 'polish' and I will release it eventually, but it would be better if Akai offered an 'official' way of bulk importing presets so they can be used directly in the sounds browser. I suspect most customers would prefer their presets to reside 'inside' each plugin instead of sat inside an expansion.