MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By EnochLight Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:18 pm
brucelesun wrote:I have a key 61 and a mpc live 2 and I want to use an external synth in the software. How do I do this without sampling the sounds in? Can this be done?

Pick one of your MPC's - probably the Key 61 since it has an actual keybed - and use it as your master control in your studio. Hook your external synth up via MIDI (either USB-MIDI if it supports it, or old fashioned analog 5-pin DIN MIDI), break out some audio cables and run the external synth audio either into your computer's audio interface or your MPC's inputs, set your MPC into Computer Mode, open the MPC Software, and go into Preferences > MIDI / Sync and set up your external synth to be controlled. You can then record your external synth as an audio track in the MPC Software. If you're using your MPC as an external audio interface, then run your external synth audio into that. If you're using your computer's audio interface, then run your external synth audio into that.

Alternatively, use Auto-Sample and create a Key Group of your favorite presets to use in Standalone or the MPC Software, since - you know - you've got an MPC and all... :nod: :)