MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By matmah Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:09 am
I am definitely swaying towards the Evo 16 for it's DSP, but I am looking into the Focusrite 18i8 Gen 3 as an alternative.

Has anyone used either of these with success?

I have gone read through lots of topics and I can see some people do own the Evo 16 but never mentioned if they were using it directly plugged into their MPC or externaly.
It is the same with the Focusrite. Some people have said they have had success with it, but they never mentioned which generation it was.

I don't think it makes any difference, but I have a Live 2.
By Neurone Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:04 am
Quick search in topic gives:

Focusrite 18i8 (3rd gen);YES;

I don't think 1st gen. Scarlett interfaces have a Mass Storage Device mode... But I confirm the click n pops problem is also present with 1st gen. 18i8 with releases 2.11.6 and 2.11.7.

Firmware 2.11.4 is the last that is working almost perfectly for me with my Scarlett 18i8.

Are you using your 18i8 in 2.11.4? Which gen is that? I would like 2 more inputs and I see 18i8 1st gen 2nd hand in my area.
or I could see if I can find a used UMC 1820, but I'm worried about sound quality of behringer. So far Focusrite sounds the best to me.

Scarlett 18i8 (1st gen)

fw ≤ 2.11.4 : OK
fw 2.11.6 : KO (playback heavily distorted with crackles, MPC freeze)

I'm using the MPC Live standalone with a Scarlett 18i8 (1st gen) since the 2.10 release in a multi-track setup with no problems, but the recent 2.11.6 update broke compatibility (I'm not sure if I skipped the 2.11.5 or not).
With firmware 2.11.6, audio is heavily distorted with crackles, and the MPC eventually freezes.
I downgraded to 2.11.4 (can't find 2.11.5 files), and it works OK again.

Audient EVO 8 appears to work fine.

I haven't fully tested phantom power etc quite yet.... Ill give you an update when I do.