MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By kazakore Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:16 pm
Is there really no way to MIDI map a way to queue up next sequence whatsoever? Tried on the unit, looked in the manual and tried searching on here (to find a very hacky way of looping MIDI back and using Program Change) and it seems you can't map anything to do with Sequence selection. Not even Play Next Sequence within Song Mode! Which would have been quite limiting but with Sequences set to hold at least you could work through a rigid set with it. This is such a simple feature to be missing! How do you guys who perform inprov get around this? Or is it constant screen hopping on the MPC?

Now if we could separate the pads from the screen that would be even better......
By mpc_fan_2022 Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:12 pm
MPC Software has Ctrl+Shift+L (MIDI LEARN panel).

MPC Standalone has absolutely nothing of the sort.

I heard there is a OS hack that allows to send remote MIDI commands to various MPC Functions, but never tried myself.

Seems like a lot of questions here rely around the inability to assign remote MIDI commands to various MPC functions in standalone mode, because AKAI decided you could not do that.
By kazakore Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:05 am
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:MPC Software has Ctrl+Shift+L (MIDI LEARN panel).

MPC Standalone has absolutely nothing of the sort.

I heard there is a OS hack that allows to send remote MIDI commands to various MPC Functions, but never tried myself.

Seems like a lot of questions here rely around the inability to assign remote MIDI commands to various MPC functions in standalone mode, because AKAI decided you could not do that.

MPC has a (not very well implemented) "learn" function for MIDI and you can assign any type of MIDI to controls of Tracks (including outputs) and Programs but there is no way to map it to hardware functions (despite you being able to remap the hardware MIDI output.) The Q-Link Learn function is a bit more what you'd expect if coming from a DAW (with directly mapping what is touched on the screen to a knob) but even this does not allow mapping anything related to Sequencer or Song changes, as this would have sufficed. MIDI functionality overall isn't that bad (but a pain to set up) just this area is a glaring hole of features that should be readily assignable to external gear. Especially Next Seq in Song mode! This has been possible even via footpedals on simple drum machines and rhythm boxes for decades! To miss this from the MIDI implementation is just daft!
By Calcaire Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:11 pm
viewtopic.php?p=1855419

"just "enable ssh access, make your mapping on MPC software and "import" it in the MPC standalone + settings file.

Brilliant find : it's just i transferring to MPC standalone what you could only do in MPC software : map essential functions to MIDI , as Qlinks values, track number, sequences , all sort of parameters unreachable in the "MIDI LEARN" mode of MPC standalone.
This is this kind of mapping I use on stage on my mpc live 1 : I can change sequence or track or screen view by a button on my keyboard controller.I could easily sequence it, as it's made by classic CC numbers rather than program changes ... just "SSH" protocol access enabled is necessary. Search this : MPC-and-Force-global-midi-mapping-in-standalone-mode-how-to

but take care since firmware 2.11, you have to follow another steps you can find in the post I've linked to. It really worths it.

Cons I've found so far :
- If you reset preferences, you have to do it again.
- If you encounter one of this rare freezing bug + reboot MPC has sometimes on any "official" firmware version since the beginning ( My MPC live 1 is 2019), sometimes the mappings gets deleted ---> do it again. now it takes about 5 mn ... (never happened on stage so far with solid ( 70% RAM / 50 % CPU) 100 sequences projects, finger crossed)

P.S : no way of bricking mpc if you don't mess with your internal files while in SSH access ... I've been using this since 2021 , on any firmware. I'm not a programmer, neither a "power user"
By kazakore Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:54 pm
Calcaire wrote:https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=1855419

"just "enable ssh access, make your mapping on MPC software and "import" it in the MPC standalone + settings file.

Before reading up and figuring out the hack to get ssh working I'd have to figure out how to run the MPS software on linux (but at least I'm ahead of the game with SSH.) More time that I think it worth me investing for this, but might be of interest to others looking for a solution ;)
By Kaffimusic Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:27 pm
I am here, looking into the same problem. Want to switch sequences by mapping them to buttons on a controller. Can´t believe this does not work by default. This is SO basic!
Thanks for the "hack"-tip, I will look into that.
By Calcaire Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:15 pm
kazakore wrote:
Calcaire wrote:https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=1855419

Before reading up and figuring out the hack to get ssh working I'd have to figure out how to run the MPS software on linux (but at least I'm ahead of the game with SSH.) More time that I think it worth me investing for this, but might be of interest to others looking for a solution ;)

I would think it's harder to run MPC soft on Linux than getting the global mapping to work in standalone . maybe some power user here could confirm :) if you can spend 1 hour with a PC or a a mac , you'll get the mapping done. no need to come back to MPC software once you have exported your .xmm file with the desired mapping...

can also be done on free MPC beats software. Actually my mac is so old (2009) it can't update MPC software so I'm stuck with 2.9 version on computer , so no more "controller mode" for me... but mapping file is still working good on 2.12 :) I've got 16 Q links, pages and views direct selections, rec play overdub / track select / sequence select ... no template project, just an extensive connection between my Novation sl mk3 and my Live.

Feel like making an ad or insisting, but this thing really improved my workflow and the live playibility of the MPC live standalone. It's just a better instrument. I can't explain why KAI did'nt implement this fully in standalone, but still let you the ability to delete crucial internal contents in 2 clicks :smoker: :worthy:
By Calcaire Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:35 pm
Kaffimusic wrote:I am here, looking into the same problem. Want to switch sequences by mapping them to buttons on a controller. Can´t believe this does not work by default. This is SO basic!
Thanks for the "hack"-tip, I will look into that.

Totally agree this functions should be accessible, in the preferences menu, a global mapping tab would be perfect.

The fun fact is that the MPC standalone actually reacts to some CC messages send to it. Since 2.10 or 2.11, On the internal drives , under a "MIDI LEARN " folder someones had found some preexisting midi mapping files corresponding to the control surface presets available in software / controller mode. So today in the 'official ' version, if you send some CC messages and if your MPC recognize it coming from one of this presets controllers you can get some erratical issues like page/ view change. Some people got crazy with this on this forum, in fact just one more clunky design, with MPC standalone reacting to "global" mappings that were only usable in controller mode :lol:

Also the "MIDI LEARN" folder in my "MPC Documents" ( accessible without ssh) can fill itself , making the internal drive and the MPC inusable : viewtopic.php?f=48&t=215160&p=1858057&hilit=Midi+learn+folder#p1858057 .

With ssh , you could access to the internal midi learn folder, make it Read write / delete the 50 mapping presets file, put only my mapping file / make it unwritable/ so all you get is a far more reliable instrument
By Kaffimusic Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:28 pm
This machine is more messed up that I expected. I thought everything was well thought through since they constantly evolve since... decades.
I haven´t been into beatboxes, sequencers or anything like that, since I am a live-musician, using workstations and synth. But I start to understand why the MPC is NOT everybodys darling and lots of people use Digitakt instead, although on paper and by the looks it´s way less powerful.
I am disappointed the more I dive into that technology.