MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By acronym Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:45 pm
Can I ask is this correct, had to contact a Akai due to an issue with account, however, one of the things was that when they asked when I bought it from. I said ebay and provided a link, but then the rep was saying unless I have the licenses for the expansions then that shouldn't have been sold and maybe why I couldn't log in?. Is this correct?,
By Lampdog Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:03 pm
Seller should have properly provided all of that account info to you AND/OR made clear which expansions weren’t included in the sale of the hardware.

Unfortunately this happens ALOT.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:04 pm
The AIR site has details on inMusic's general license transfer policies:

https://support.airmusictech.com/en/sup ... a-new-user

So, if he sold you the hardware he should have instigated a transfer to you directly through Akai, although my understanding is that if you provide a valid hardware serial in your account they normally just assume you are the new owner of a second hand unit. At that point you would have official ownership of the hardware and any software that originally came with the hardware.

Beyond that, if he had later purchased some plugins and left them installed in the MPC, it seems (from reading the above) that you are not entitled to those particular plugin licenses unless the owner separately transferred them to you through Akai, you can't just acquire them because you bought the MPC as they were never part of the original hardware package. As far as Akai are concerned, you only bought an MPC. You need to get the previous owner to transfer the additional plugin licenses to you through Akai, as currently they will be tied to his inMusic account, not yours.
By acronym Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:16 pm
Hey Lampdog, its been a while. We used to talk way back when I had a mpc 1000. So def a case to complain about on ebay with this matter?
By acronym Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:19 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:The AIR site has details on inMusic's general license transfer policies:

https://support.airmusictech.com/en/sup ... a-new-user

So, if he sold you the hardware he should have instigated a transfer to you directly through Akai, although my understanding is that if you provide a valid hardware serial in your account they normally just assume you are the new owner of a second hand unit. At that point you would have official ownership of the hardware and any software that originally came with the hardware.

Beyond that, if he had later purchased some plugins and left them installed in the MPC, it seems (from reading the above) that you are not entitled to those particular plugin licenses unless the owner separately transferred them to you through Akai, you can't just acquire them because you bought the MPC as they were never part of the original hardware package. As far as Akai are concerned, you only bought an MPC. You need to get the previous owner to transfer the additional plugin licenses to you through Akai, as currently they will be tied to his inMusic account, not yours.

Thanks dude, also what about the expansion packs is this fair game too?. Sounds dodgy as I thought the expansions were tied to the MPC hence why it was provided. But the plugins I assume I can't use due to the mpc checking the license online now and then?
By MPC-Tutor Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:42 pm
If the expansions were part of the MPC (e.g. the vault) then no problem. But if he's bought the Marco Polo expansion and just left in in the MPC then strictly speaking he was not allowed to do that as sound libries cannot be re-sold or re-distributed (as there's no way to control endless copying and re-selling, unlike protected software, e.g. iLok controlled). Of course, as there's no licensing control then there isn't anything they can actually do to stop it.

They are dabbling in licensing control for expansions, as the OPx4 preset pack has some very rudimentary licensing code at the top of each preset file that initially calls home to check a valid license. It's easy to bypass though, so fairly pointless.
By acronym Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:55 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:If the expansions were part of the MPC (e.g. the vault) then no problem. But if he's bought the Marco Polo expansion and just left in in the MPC then strictly speaking he was not allowed to do that as sound libries cannot be re-sold or re-distributed (as there's no way to control endless copying and re-selling, unlike protected software, e.g. iLok controlled). Of course, as there's no licensing control then there isn't anything they can actually do to stop it.

They are dabbling in licensing control for expansions, as the OPx4 preset pack has some very rudimentary licensing code at the top of each preset file that initially calls home to check a valid license. It's easy to bypass though, so fairly pointless.

Thanks, no these are paid expansions. I assumed when I bought it that the license would be transferred over to the MPC. As I wouldn't mind having them on the laptop at work to make beats, but it seems it's on the MPC live only. I didn't know until a rep from Akai mentioned this.
By Lampdog Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:36 pm
acronym wrote:Hey Lampdog, its been a while. We used to talk way back when I had a mpc 1000. So def a case to complain about on ebay with this matter?

I remember, wuddup!

I’d follow Tutor’s advice. VERY few sellers hook this up for buyers. I know of maybe 3 sellers who actually went this whole proper route.
By hyena Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:30 am
acronym wrote:Hey Lampdog, its been a while. We used to talk way back when I had a mpc 1000. So def a case to complain about on ebay with this matter?

Nym! nice to see you back! i still have some of your "expansions" , like "Dirty South" from back in the days :)