MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Jean-Marc Liotier Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:04 am
joegrant413 wrote:My simple advice: turn off the effects on the presets, there are a few tabs of them. IMO the tone immediately improves.
That goes not just for OPx4: for example, Akai drenches everything in delay and it I find it not always appropriate. Their idea seems to be offering fully baked ready-to-eat sounds out of the box - which is nice not just for beginners but, as one progresses in skills, it is often just too much seasoning.
By bitermc Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:03 pm
IMHO, this happens with 99% presets in all plugins. They're designed to sound great when browsing for sounds or when showing to a friend, but sound too bloated for a final mix.

I call them "look, ma" presets...
By B-Wise Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 pm
bitermc wrote:IMHO, this happens with 99% presets in all plugins. They're designed to sound great when browsing for sounds or when showing to a friend, but sound too bloated for a final mix.

I call them "look, ma" presets...

I don’t even think most sound good when just browsing & wish there was master FX off tabs to keep each FX off for all the preset when going thru them. That would make more sense & be a more efficient.
By Neodymium Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 pm
I've spent too much time with presets over all trying to figure out why something is happening, or when I am editing is not happening, I tend to not be bothered with presets at all. While I can see that they may serve as a learning start point, I rarely like preset sounds in synths and some just seem gimmicky to show off potential, than useable. This seems more true with more powerful complex synths than simple ones. The OPx4 falls into the former, clearly.