MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By VulcanCCIT Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:14 am
Running Sonoma, the Midi studio does not recognize the MPC Key 61 at all. Driver is installed, tried connecting it direct to the mac with a USB2 to USB C adaptor and also a USB hub. Also tried it on an older mac (no driver installed). I was hoping to use this new keyboard with both Ableton Live 12 and also some piano teaching software I have called Playground Sessions. I know that until the Midi Studio recognizes it, nothing will work. Running 2.14 firmware as I just bought this new keyboard today and did the online updater.

What am I missing?

I thank you all in advance :D
By Lampdog Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:46 am
Key61 -> mpc software (open in ableton as a vst) -> ableton.
Ensure display link driver and midi driver are installed.

If bought brand new you can register the keyboard and you’ll have the software 2.0. In your account.

If used you’ll have to purchase or use mpc beats free limited software.
By VulcanCCIT Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:20 pm
Thank you, just after I posted, I realized for the MPC to show up on the mac, I had to put the MPC in controller mode. I am coming off of a Novation Launch Key 61 and it just showed up. So I am used to running Ableton, and using the Launchkey to input notes into Ableton. NOW, that I have this cool MPC I guess the workflow is totally different. Since you can create all of the instruments inside of the MPC, how best do you record into Ableton? I have the MPC going into a Scarlett now and I know I could just treat the MPC as an audio souce in Ableton... I also just licensed the MPC software.... SO MUCH TO LEARN! I also see that there are some tutorials available from Akai... I do appreciate your quick response and any advice for a 65 year old newbie would be appreciated :D.
By VulcanCCIT Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:39 am
Lampdog wrote:Image

Yes someone on Facebook suggested that... I goofed a bit with the MPC2 software but I am thinking I like the Standalone mode better... one main reason is the MPC2 software seems to not be getting input from my Scarlett no matter me telling it to use that as the source... it seems to work the same whether I specify the MPCK61 or the Scarlett...perhaps as I had midi selected in the software? It also was not very loud...I want to use the Scarlett just for some more control/volume.

I am off to buy that Bible, it looks pretty good!
By Lampdog Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:12 pm
VulcanCCIT wrote:…. I do appreciate your quick response and any advice for a 65 year old newbie would be appreciated :D.

I’m right behind you @ 53.

I don’t use mpc software, I don’t use a computer for beat creation at all so that’s as far as my troubleshooting can go. I have mpc software installed and running on pc but it just sits there. I’m all about standalone.