Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By Coz Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:39 am
Marcelandrie wrote:And naturally a lot of the stuff i'll bang out will be "eh" but I think listening to the beat the next day or just later can strike up inspiration too.

Any chance of dropping a few of your beats here so we can hear what you're coming up with? :)
By Doc00Cosel Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:40 pm
Eyalc wrote:I'll never understand the affinity with making multiple tracks in one day. I always prefer to take my time on each one. Now granted, I've laid down 2 or 3 ideas in one day, but I'd never let anyone hear them... let alone call it a "song" at that point.

Word up like Cameo!
By gangreen Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:35 am
Step 1: rid yourself of the noise. Extra gear, connections, even random shit that clutters your desk. All parts of the beat creating process and all of it adds up. That's the little stuff. Then once you finished your routine. Run with it to the next step for a final product.

I'm in the process of trying to get from point A to B quicker and right now I'm looking to skip the mixing process in the DAW all together. See my post.

It took alot of iterations but you just have to keep workin at it and be consistent.
By peeping tom Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:48 am
coke and acid would probably help me.

For real though, sometimes i spend over three days on one beat, ill take several days on drums like T virus said.

I make most of my music after a fresh dig, or copping a drum break or soemthing that i been looking for. got that inspiration.
By Lampdog Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:24 am
Skull head vodka helps me get loose but I still tend to stay slow down and stay on 1 beat and not rush. Just that the buzz helps me get more detailed and musical, not faster/quicker.
By peeping tom Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:19 am
oh right on. i smoke a bowl before doing ANYTHING

not that it helps me do anything quick at all, but it opens my mind up.

partial to a glass of tawny port too, not rich enough for henny lol
By gangreen Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:16 pm
vodka, jack daniels, coke, acid and a bowl gave us some of the best albums haha. For real though.

Formulas and cheat codes.

My post I mentioned earlier : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=175407

I'm just trying to see how many heads actually mixing in the MPC cause it would be the quickest way to get demos out and what not (if it has eq, compression and filters that are "good enough" why not).
By Lampdog Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:43 pm
If it's a demo, yes, I think internal eq's and filters are fine. Customer should understand it's not the final product. Internal processing can still sound damn good though. It shouldn't be a problem imo.
By marrelarre Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:41 pm
Well I mean instead of trying to say you wanna do X amout of beats per night you should rather ask yourself - where in my process can i be more effective?

Are you getting blown and jamming the beat for 30 min doing notihng to it besides listening you may just wanna force yourself to work faster.

But im 100% with Es-K - 9th wonder doesnt bang out 25 beats a night because he said he would, its because hes worked at it (+ he makes 1 layer chopped soul loops :wink:)

Just enjoy your music making and try to make it effective. Focus on quality and quantity will follow sooner or later.
By 9Asp Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:46 am
just trying to see how many heads actually mixing in the MPC

What about the MPC-Software? Are there any reasons to export different stems out the MPC-Software into a DAW for further mixing/mastering purposes (to get to the "final product")?

Thx! :smoker:
By DonnyDank Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:49 pm
What i've once read and find good practice is the following:

Try to make a beat from scratch to final beat in 1 hour.
It has to have at least 2 layered samples, a full beat in some sequences and a bassline. The value of this technique is that you are forcing yourself to make creative decisions in a fixed time limit. So no lingering around in this hour (set a timer to push yourself!) and keep it progressing. When time is up youre ready to go and record the song live into a daw. Next!
After a while you"ll have a stack of hiphop instrumentals in your playlist for ideas or youre own listening pleasure :smoker:

Now and then i do this and im loving it because normally i take my time for this shit because quality over quantity indeed!
By jibber Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:18 pm
I once did this with friends, but the limit was 15 minutes. We randomly picked a record, drums you were allowed to load from disks (we did this with the SP1200). Beat had to be finished within 15 minutes counting from dropping the needle to start listening to the record for samples.

Those were some of the most shitty beats we ever made, but some of them were also kind of creative and fun.