Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By aquapura4 Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:22 pm
Hi Guys

does anyone know how producers get that awesome vocal sounds found in future garage tracks. I'm fine with the beats the synths etc I am just stumped how they get the vocals they do. I don't use a computer I have an mpc 2000xl and hardware synths plus some effects units. I do cut up samples on my computer but then always load them into my mpc to seq.

The vocals i'm talking about for example:

E.g. at 18:53 in the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JYLdhyI-D0

And this is a perfect example of waht i'm looking for start at 53 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSI2zRApQQc

Do you think I could do this with samples and effects? Or do you think i need to record someone? Also do you think this is going to be hard just on hardware?

I'd love to know people who are experienced in this production to help me out.

Thanks!
By scoobylol Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:03 pm
Wouldn't say I'm experienced but I do enjoy that whole future garage thing. You could do that on software, hardware, with samples, with live recordinds, with a capellas.

Unfortunately there's no right way to do it. There's some EQ'ing or if you're feeling lazy just use a low pass filter with an envelope so certain bits of the vocals poke through. Use some 'verb and some delay. Job done.

More so the second one.
By aquapura4 Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:09 pm
bro your second track is sweet! I love it. Thanks for the tips how did you do the vocals in that? are they recorded or sampled? did you process that in your mpc or on your computer? what effects are on them and do you pitch shift in your mpc or comp again?

sorry for draining it but they are the sounds i'm after man!!
By scoobylol Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:44 pm
1. Both tunes are sample based, admitedly from an a cappella, but still. You use the sound source that's best for your needs.

2. All the processing was done inside Ableton, using the stock effects because I think they're excellent. A typical chain I have used is:-

Lo pass filter --> Hi pass filter --> Delay --> Verb

Because the a cappella I've used is good quality there's no need to do too much EQ'ing. The filters are on there quite simply to take the super low inaudible clutter out, and the hi to almost muffle the vocals to make the words less audible. I started this tune ages ago and truth be told I'd probably put an EQ on the end of that reverb to tame it a little if I was to start again.

3. Again the pitch shifting was done in Ableton. My main process with the vocals is to start with one track. That will be my main vocal lead as it were and I'll tune that to match the rest of the song. If possible I like to have vocals a couple of semi-tones lower than the original. The FX on this one will be a little less "wet". Toned down because that's the main one you want to hear in the mix.

Then I'll have a couple of copies of this track but the FX will be a bit wetter, and I'll only use select words or phrases and double them up but always pitched down or up. There's a few ways to pitch in Ableton and each one has advantages and disadvantages, some have nice artifacts, it depends on the sound source and what works with the tune.

All three of these tracks will be bussed or grouped into one track where I'll do some final EQ'ing and sometimes a bit of automation on a filter. Again it's just playing about really.

4. I think the hardest thing is choosing the right little phrases and knowing where to cut them. I only learned by making loads of poor sounding vocals. But again once you've chopped a phrase you can pitch each bit up or down to match your melody... so with that second track I've got a bit that says:

"Blaming you"

But the way I've chopped it it sounds more like:

"Blaaa-aa-ming youuuu"

All I've done is chop the word blaming into two parts, pitch the second one down and I think I just pitched the word you down too, so that it follows the bassline sort of rythmically and melodically.

5. I also grew up listening to UKG before future garage was a buzz word. Have a listen to some track by Todd Edwards and even though it's a bit more dancefloor than what you might be into you'll hear how brilliantly he chops and pitches his vocal samples to create a melody. Might give you some inspiration.

If you need any more help just ask, and good luck.
By aquapura4 Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:50 pm
scoobylol thanks heaps for the informative response. Although I don't have Apelton I am now thinking of upgrading to a 2500 for the FX because I believe I can probably do this within the unit. I dont' know why but i'm adverse to using a computer (even though that's really what an mpc is :P). I enjoying messing with the pads and knobs more.

I heard some of your track and like them. I just wished some were a bit longer!!

Thanks again mate I'll let you know how i go :D

Cheers
By scoobylol Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:08 pm
aquapura4 wrote:I heard some of your track and like them. I just wished some were a bit longer!!

You and I both mate. I'm terrible for starting a tune, looping, getting bored and moving on.

Good shout on the 2500, there's nothing wrong with wanting to avoid the computer and it'll add a new dimension to your workflow. It may even be worth adding a cheap FX unit, like a Kaoss pad to your set up too. Resample through that and back into the 2500 and it'll allow you to get a bit closer to the longer FX chains I can achieve in Ableton.

Post up some of your tunes/loops/whatever in this thread when you've had a go, I'll be interested to hear them.
By Iron Leg Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:09 pm
scoobylol is correct

Lo pass filter --> Hi pass filter --> Delay --> Verb

reverse, pitch up gated & looped vocals are heavy used and as scoobylol suggest todd edwards was the key influence.
alot of these orginal ukg & 2step producers started out doing drum & bass and you can here those techniques using akai 3000XL & Recycle to slice the vocals to bits.

this future stuff just has loads more reverb and delay.

it worth going back a few years and listen to M J Cole K-Warren Zed bias & Wookie to just name few. but also some drum and bass like this Adam f track.

know the past to understand the future as they say. :-D
By Coz Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:17 am
Wow, an entire sub genre that owes most of its aesthetic to one guy... Burial. :worthy:

I like it... it's sonically interesting and really atmospheric.

aquapura4 wrote:Also do you think this is going to be hard just on hardware?

In a nutshell, yes, unless you've got loads of effects units and a decent mixer to run them all through. Even then, I think this genre is almost entirely created in DAWs. Or to be more specific, I think all the processing is done in a DAW. Those monumentally huge reverbs used to be the preserve of expensive hardware boxes from Eventide or Lexicon, but now you can get a similar sound in a plugin for next to nothing.

My advice is to start including your computer more in the production/post production process. :wink:
By scoobylol Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:13 pm
Also worth checking out:

Martyn (and his 3024 label)
Pinch (Croydon House/Elements in particular)
Boddika
Loefah and any of the Swamp 81 stuff

There's some nice crossover with older techno sounds in amongst those too which is awesome. It's almost just becoming bass music where anything goes between 120-140bpm. 8)